Fuji Bicycles Touring 2002 Touring Bike

Touring

metropolis1928   Recreational Rider [May 21, 2002]
Strength:

FRAME! $100 cheaper than the 2001 model. Good tires.

CRANKS! VERY poor brakes. There is a reason this bike is $100 cheaper than last year... it has $250 less good parts on it!

The Fuji Touring has a great ride, and it's a lot of bike for the price. Having said that, it is also a bike that I have upgraded because a lot of the components on it are garbage. First to go were the awful cranks. Sheer rubbish. On the Fuji website, they say that they have "upgraded the drive train"... how? By replacing solid Tiagra cranks with Totally Junky Cyclone cranks. These things are flexy, ugly and heavy. Also, the gearing is WAY too high for a loaded touring bike. I put on LX Hollowtech cranks with more appropriate gearing. There is no comparison between the crappy stock cranks and the LX's with their splined bottom bracket. I wish they had put a third set of water bottle lugs on the bick on the underside of front drop tube, and lugs for a frame pump. Also hitting the spare part bin was the Deore rear der., replaced by a solid XT one. The Deore was OK but the XT is SO much better. So far, I have kept the saddle, but sooner or later I am going to put a Brooks on it. This bike's breaks SUCK! The Avids of the 2001 model were MUCH better. The rack sucks as well, I am replacing it with a Bruce Gordon rack. Ok, now for the good stuff... The ride is excellent, the frame is solid and stiff for such a big bike. Chainstay lenghth is good (heels don't hit the panniers) and the front fork has a smooth feel to it. The rims are also not as good as last year, I had to have one warranty replaced right away because the seams were too rough. One Sora hub in the back and a Fuji house brand hub in the front. Again, not real good. Tiagra STI shifters are OK (touring with STI... hmmmm....). The bike is a very comfortable ride, and after the crank change out it climbs well for a bike this heavy. Bottom line: The frame is good enough to build off of, making it a good value... you need to upgrade the bike, but it is worth upgrading. I would have MUCH rather payed $200 more and had good cranks, touring gearing and a better (at least LX rear der.)

DuneOH   Recreational Rider [May 17, 2002]

Same reviewer here. I want to tell you the brake system on this bike is unsafe. The rest of the bike is great, but Fuji has a liability problem on it''''s hands with this braking system.

DuneOH   Recreational Rider [Mar 22, 2002]
Strength:

PRICE !!! For what u get, it''''s a good deal. This is my 1st touring model and I compaired Cannondale, Trek, Bianchi.

Brake pads and saddle. Both are cheep so be prepaired to swap them out.

$699. That''''s the retail, not the 849. Good deal. I''''ve had the bike about 2 months during COLD ! weather so I''''ve only put on a couple hundred miles, but I like it. Rides good, you feel good when u get off it.

Similar Products Used: Bianchi Champione. The Fuji isnt a racing bike but it supports wgt. well.