Cervelo P2K 2002 Triathlon Bike

P2K

KithKhan   Triathlete [Jul 23, 2005]
Strength:

Proven aerodynamic advantage and extreme stiffness for perfect power transfer, especially when combined with Shimano's new crankset design. Very nice welds and construction. High value.

Slow, heavy handling. This may be in part because of the short chainstays, the rake of the fork, or the fact that this frame is a wee bit too big for me and my weight is consequently shifted a little farther back than it is designed for. Or all three. Anyway, it's a tri/tt bike, not a road/crit bike, so no biggie. Also, sometimes it's nice to have slow handling when you're in aero position. The stiffness that is so great for power transfer and efficiency also makes it feel a little mean on rough roads. Much meaner than a steel road bike, for example.

This is a follow-up on my previous review. 1) A friend and I have at this point proven the aerodynamic advantage of this bike to ourselves. He rides the same 16 mile loope 4 days a week at lunch, with not a lot of variation in weather conditions. His best average pace on a conventional cannondale road setup was 20.2 mph. On the first day he rode my bike, without using the aerobars, he rode 21.9 mph, and on the second day 22.3 mph. Given, his bike is a little heavier, and my wheels have fewer spokes, but this was a flat course and we both attribute the bulk of the time gains to aerodynamics and stiffness in the chainstays and bb. 2) The bolt at the top of the seatpost snapped for no apparent reason. It was very brittle- I wasn't overtightening or anything. My LBS mangled the whole piece trying to remove the broken off bit, and this was my excuse to upgrade to the carbon seatpost. It's definately lighter than the alloy version, and looks cooler but I don't notice any real difference in ride quality. 3) Retraction: I didn't know the extent of crosswind handling problems until I put on the HED3's. The frame's sideways drag is minor in comparison to the wheel's.

Similar Products Used: Steel Scattante Road Bike with full ultegra and same wheelset (Shimano R-540 16-spoke) Giant OCR3 with a huge mix of components and Velocity Sparticus wheels Test rides on a few friend's bikes.
KithKhan   Triathlete [Aug 08, 2004]
Strength:

1) Aerodynamics; It's the most aerodynamically designed bike for the money, and you can feel it when you get it up to high speeds. The bike feels invisible to the wind and the only thing left to fix is your body position. And catching other cyclists on the downhills is cake. 2) Stiffness; There is NO bottom bracket flex. I switched to the new 10 speed DA cranks recently, and no matter how much you try... nothing. It's great. 3) Looks! ;) 4) Value.

1) HANDLING. Given, this bike was designed for straight, flat lines, but it has a really hard time cornering, staying stable, getting caught in crosswinds ect... Compared to a traditional steel road bike, the cervelo is about 2/3rds as manueverable, twice as hard to ride rollers on, no letting go of the handlebars ever... 2) Comfort; it's probably better than most aluminum bikes (I don't know) but obviously is nasty on the seat and hands compared to my relatively plush steel road bike. Of course, this bike is a no-nonsense speed-demon. I wasn't expecting much comfort. I'm going to upgrade to the carbon seatpost this Christmas though, that's for sure.

I have between one and two thousand miles on the bike at this point and am still loving it. Every time I get on this bike I feel like I need to be going full throttle. It's SOO fast, sleek, wicked, and stylish. My only real complaint is handling.

Jeff   Triathlete [Mar 03, 2003]
Strength:

Light, stiff, very responsive.

I really enjoy riding this bike. It is very stiff and fast. I am using this for Olympic distance triathlons. The guys at Transition Sports are very knowledgable. The fitting was key. The fit is very important and makes a very big difference in the level of comfort of the ride. My last bike was too small and really hurt my back and neck. I look forward to many miles on this bike in the upcoming years.

Similar Products Used: Tomasso Capri Road Bike
mblomgren   Triathlete [Feb 09, 2003]
Strength:

Aerodynamics - this is a slippery bike. Well made - high quality materials used and high quality workmanship throughout (except paint job). Sweet looking - it has speed written all over it.

Paint scratchs easily. Paint job looks nice, but after 6 months my Cervello has about the same number of scratches as my 17 year old Biemezzetta.

This is an awesome bike. I have it decked out with Campy's Chorus groupo (including Ergo Brain computer) and Campy Eurus wheels. Going from an old chrom-moly Italian bike (Biemezzetta), I was worried this aluminum frame might yield a harsh ride. I was pleasantly surprised that the ride is firm and responsive, but not harsh at all. The carbon Cervello fork and a good saddle seem to damp any over-the-top road vibration. I've taken it on about five rides of over 75-miles and find it very comfortable. Nearly all my regular rides include some substantial hill climbing (1500' - 3000'). Perhaps the geometry of this bike is not the best suited for hill climbing, and thus it took some time to get use the difference from my old standard Italian frame. This bike is not set up to spend substantial time climbing out of the saddle. But if you can learn to stay put in your seat, stay aero on the bars (even on the uphills), and spin spin spin, you'll probably arrive at the top of the hill ahead of the rest of 'em...

Similar Products Used: 1986 Biemezzetta set up for time-trialing and triathlons.
swimbikerunjump   Triathlete [Oct 18, 2002]
Strength:

Position/comfort, speed, reliability, pure beauty.

Needed several minor adjustments during the first few months. (cabels, entry of cabel to frame, shifting). Works great now.

I know very little about bike set up, specs or specifics about a bike. I dont really want to. All I need to know is this bike is great! I pull great times and have been winning with it. What more do I need to know. It is very comfortable and I spend about 99% of the time in the aero position (I hit the run feeling good). Recommend real road handling skills before racing a bike of this quality - stability is not #1. I tried the P3 but prefered the P2K. (I could afford either) This bike is worth every penny!

Similar Products Used: Used to ride older touring bike to race. Tried a few including the P3.
Rene   Road Racer [Jul 22, 2002]
Strength:

Value and dealer set-up. Todd at Bicycle Connection has me in an aero position that really works.

Rear drop-outs are a little funky.

Probably the best time trial bike for the money. As a Cat 4 racer with a family and house note, I need value. This is it. I have raced it many times and have been pretty successful. A couple of first places, a second, a third. Everything else in the top seven. This bike makes the difference, compared to last years modified road bike I used.

Similar Products Used: None.
kevin miller   Triathlete [Jun 07, 2002]
Strength:

fast, stiff, compiant, comfortable, value.

seat post clamp cracked

I have about 750 miles on this bike and one Centruy. I bought the factory build with Ultegra and Ritchey Pro wheels. There is almost nothing about this bike I don’t absolutely love. I am (almost) the sole breadwinner in a family, and I don’t get the opportunity to buy a new bike every day. So I needed to make good on my purchase. I researched for months. This will be an IM bike and a short course bike. I was considering carbon and ti closely and would have paid the extra $$. After research and test rides, I chose the P2K! I am 5’10” , 155 lbs, 32” inseam. My last bike was an alu 650 bike. I test road the P2K as both a 54/650 and a 55/700. I anticipated prefering the 650, since that was what I was accustomed to. I liked everything about the 55/700 better. It is more comfortable and compliant. I think it climbs every bit as good or better than my 650 bike did. The bottom bracket is stiff, and I mean stiff! I get a real sensation of slicing through the air on this bike when I get up to speed. It is like the air foil tubing is “tracking” the bike through the air. Hard to describe. Test ride one! Everything about riding this bike just feels fast. I feel like I have an advantage over anyone not riding one. Unless they are on the P3! The ride quality is a world above my previous alu bike. The frame and fork flex pretty good vertically. The bike soaks up bumps reasonably. In Michigan many roads are “cold packed” where pea gravel is packed into the blacktop surface. Very durable, but not great for biking. The frame does transmit the vibration from this type of surface more. Still, better than my previous alu bike. Some people have had problems with the spokes breaking on the Ritchey wheels. I have experienced no problems. The wheels feel light and zippy and climb well. These will serve well for racing and training until I can get some real racing wheels down the road. The only problem I have had is with the seat post clamp. It cracked on me when I tightened it down. Some have reported paint chipping on the 2001 model. At 750 miles I don’t see any on my 2002. Summary; you won’t be able to buy more speed for your $$.

chrismaginn   Triathlete [Jun 04, 2002]
Strength:

Perfect fit thanks to Transition Sports expert fitting. Extremely responsive, fast and light. The P2K has an extremely stiff BB making climbing a joy. Frame design is flawless...you don't have to buy a carbon bike to get a "smooth" ride. I have done rides in excess of 70 miles comfortably and plan on racing at IM distance with this bike. Adjustable angle is not a gimmick....this flexibility makes "fitting" the bike much easier.

As with any tri-bike, it's not a good handling ride on descents. However it's not really a weakness as the bike is not designed for traditional road riding. Suggest an upgrade to full Ultegra package with a better wheelset than the stock Ritcheys (perhaps Mavic for training). Spend the extra couple of hundred bucks up front if you're planning on keeping the bike awhile.

Fantastic bike. Five flamers. Worth every penny. The most important thing I can stress with this review is how critical it is to make sure that the bike FITS you perfectly. Mail order can't do that. The only way is to find a dealer who really knows what they are doing. Any bike can fail you if it doesn't fit you.