Quintana Roo PicanTi 2002 Triathlon Bike

PicanTi

gunnymick   Triathlete [Feb 20, 2006]
Strength:

Full Ulterga Group, Titanium Frame Confort and Respensiveness. Compact Geometery.

the compact geometery took aa little getting used to.

I was looking for a dedicated Tri-Bike and had bugeted $2000. When I came across PreownedBikes.com. Wow, I got a reconditioned 2002 Pican Ti Quintana Roo. The Bike retailed new for $3200. I was a little worried at first but when I received the bike...I could not believe it. It was practically a brand new bike. Anyway, I have been doing training rides and each ride is better than the last. I believe that with each ride I am getting closer to this bikes full potential.. In short, I am the limiting factor for this bike. This bike is extremely responsive and comfortable.

Similar Products Used: Lemond Steel Frame, Ultegra/600.
Doug Roscoe   Triathlete [Jan 11, 2003]
Strength:

Comfortable ride. Bombproof frame material. Inexpensive for titanium. Legendary QR frame geometry.

Not super stiff laterally. Lacks aero tube shaping beyond down tube.

Great bike. Titanium makes for a really smooth ride when done right and QR (Litespeed) has done it well. On roads where my aluminum road bike goes "dink-dink-dink" the PicanTi goes "dug-dug-dug." Hop off after a 60-70 miler, and your back and legs feel great--ready for a run! Quintana Roo pioneered the TT geometry (~78 degree seat tube) and this bike is really outstanding in the aero position. However, it is not as stiff laterally as some might like (compared to an oversized aluminum tubed road bike, for instance). It's not even close to being soft side to side--but it might disappoint riders who like to stand and really rock the bike hard. Of course, sprinting and standing on big gears up hills isn't typically what you buy a time trial/triathlon bike for. The compact geometry doesn't seem to make much difference to the ride as far as I can tell. I suppose it saves a few grams. Perhaps the best thing about this bike is the price. The PicanTi with 105 or even Ultegra is advertised all the time for just around $2000. That's a great price for a premium titanium bike. Now, it doesn't have aero tubes everywhere like the Litespeed Blade, but it's thousands of dollars cheaper. And how much time do you really think an aero top tube saves on a 40K time trial?

Similar Products Used: Trek 1220 road bike.
Matt   Triathlete [Jul 25, 2002]
Strength:

compact titanium frame, manuf. at Litespeed plant in TN, smooth ride

Mavic CXP21 rims, American Std. seatpost

Smooth tri bike that can handle sprints and ironman distances. Compact frame is solid on straights at 25mph+ and on hills due to low frame profile. The standard rims need to be upgraded for racing (CXP21s), but most of the std components are solid...Ultegra, QR carbon fork, Italia seat, aero bars, etc. Decision came down to the Cervelo P2K (FAST!) and the QR, but chose the QR based on ride quality and minimal frame flex of the ti. Lighter riders (150lbs) may prefer the P2K due to the aero frame and seat tube cutout for the rear wheel, but since most of my riding isn't in a velodrome, I'll take my QR.