Schwinn Alloy 7 2003 Cruiser Bike

Alloy 7

danielhaden   Recreational Rider [May 19, 2006]
Strength:

Light weight
High speed (Very surprising!)
Long Distance Comfort
Simplicity
Price to Performance Ratio

Junk brake pads eat rims (replace with Kool Stop MTB)

Irritable seat post (replace with economy micro adjust, 28.6mm)

Monster handlebars are a trial at a headwind (replace with 24" alloy crusier bars--deduct 3/4" inch to make a sane size handlebar)

Imprecise derailer needs frequent adjustment (replace with tx70 or deore)

Astabula crankset (replace with MRP adapter and 68mm sealed cartridge, OR replace bearings with Astabula BMX Racing sport bearings)

Not geared for tall hills or mountain touring (Replace 14-34 freewheel with 11-34 freewheel and use a smaller chainring--OR for city use, have a Nexus Premium 8 laced to the rear rim)

No water bottle mount (Install 22.2mm handlebar mount water bottle cage).

Excellent "roadie" speed class is highly reliant on Schwinn's accidental reproduction of a high-performance sand-race tire. They'll last an incredibly long time, do not flat, but they aren't available for purchase seperately from a cruiser.

Totally ineffective grease used on everything that should have high grade grease. Must re-grease all moving parts at 3000 miles. But, this is not really unusual for any bike.

This is an extraordinary light weight and comfortable ride.

10 hour plus rides are simply enjoyable on this bike.

It is remarkably fast. Factory geared for an easy and sustainable 17 mph, and the low 20's with a slight spin, it is easily faster than the majority of mountain and comfort bikes.

Similar Products Used: Trek, Electra, many comfort or hybrid bikes, and Raliegh. Only Raliegh could even come close. Nothing equalled or surpassed the speed and comfort of the Schwinn.
OVERALL
schwinnfan   Recreational Rider [Sep 02, 2004]
Strength:

The whole bike is superbly designed and manufactured.It is very lightweight for a cruiser, and looks beautiful,the frame is a real work of art.Comfortable and fun to ride to ride. Good blend of retro looks and modern materials and components.

NONE WHATSOEVER. ( except danger of of accident due to admiring reflection of bike in shop window as I ride past instead of looking where I am going...

This bike is my introduction to cycling "American style" and I absolutely love it! Cruisers are rare in England but they are just starting to catch on. I test rode about six or seven cruisers and choppers before I finaly chose this one. The only ones that came near to being as good were the Giant "Simple" (but no gears and rather plain) and the Electra "Custom" (approx £150 more, only three gears ). The first weekend that I had this bike I rode 45-50 miles on pretty hilly terrain and only had to push up one or two hills that I could have managed on my mountain bike - so much for cruisers only being good for going to the shops and back. I chose this bike because I wanted to have derailier gears and I liked the lightweight alloy frame because I have to carry my bikes up three flights of stairs, And of course I love the way this bike looks, I spend hours lusting over all the curves, and it turns heads whenever I ride it,(as I said cruisers are rare over here). My my friends queued up to have a ride on it and they all think the relaxed riding position, wide bars and huge seat are great, and so do I! This bike puts a smile on my face when ever I ride it, which is as often as possible! If you like cruisers but don't want a heavy and primitive machine that's only good for short rides on flat ground then this is the one to get. (note: price 250 english pounds)