Cannondale Adventure 400S 2003 Hybrid Bike

Adventure 400S

handy1   Recreational Rider [Oct 25, 2003]
Strength:

Nice overall quality. Suspension works great.

Major problem - and I mean major - the dealer could not keep the rear brakes from squealing - in shop numerous times - new pads - adjustments - the problem is that the rims are anodized black and as it wears off it creates foreign material under the pads. Cannondale does not have a acceptable remedy. Also the shifter is too hard to operate.

Bought bike new Aug 02. Fairly new to bike riding. wanted something comfortable for occasional rural rides with wife. Turned out I liked road riding alot.

Carbonated   Recreational Rider [Aug 07, 2003]
Strength:

Comfort, versatility, quality of frame.

A little heavy, components are just ok.

This is actually a bike I bought for my wife. She loves the bike. I bought it with the idea in mind that I could get her into biking. I bike a lot, but she has been reluctant to go with me. I wanted to get something versatile, reasonably quick, and comfortable. This was a good choice. She loves the riding position and it's fast enough that when we do road rides I ride my mountain bike and things even out. It's not a bike for someone more hard core, but it's perfect for her.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hybrid
Travis   Commuter [May 31, 2003]
Strength:

Very smooth ride, the shifting is smooth also. Can haul a lot of weight. Good mule.

Saddle is awful (hurt my testicles and weighs about 3 lbs.)easily replaced though, bike is slow and very heavy when weighted down with rack, fenders, and paniers. Good for an older person or for someone who isn't concerned about speed.

I have a bad back so I went with this hyrid. Initially I thought it's slowness was just me not used to a new bike, but this is just a slow bike. Slower than my junkie Giant MTB with smooth tires. I think it has something to do with the geometry (I bought a jumbo and I'm 6'3'') If you don't want speed, it's a good deal for the money.

Max   Recreational Rider [Apr 22, 2003]
Strength:

Comfort, control, stability.

Seat is perhaps too bouncy. I might be able to adjust the tension, but I haven't tried yet.

I am an amateur biker, so I can't intelligently discuss why I love this bike, but I do! I was looking for a quality hybrid for under $500. I looked at the Trek 7300, Giant Cypress, and Specialized Crossroads. I was about to buy the Trek 7300 when I decided to go slightly outside the $500 limit I had set for myself and test ride the Cannondale 400s. The Cannondale just felt better than the others. It's comfortable, solid and it seems like I can get good speed on it (although I really don't have a frame of reference).

Similar Products Used: None.