Fuji Bicycles Absolute 2003 Hybrid Bike

Absolute

warnere   Commuter [Jan 06, 2013]
Strength:

Inexpensive, good looking, fast ride.

Stiff, my hand goes asleep

I would like to convert it to a fixie. What do I need and how much will it cost me? I would like to add bullhorns as well. Any thoughts on the best way to do this? I saw that this has been commented on before on this thread.

Ballzak   Commuter [May 09, 2011]
Strength:

The bike is crazy fierce and for the money you would be a fool not to purchase it.I am done buying gt!!!

The seat hurts my bung so I am going to fix that.That is all.

I love this bike! I rode the specialized sirrus and picked the fuji absolute 4.0 over it.I weigh 238 and it handles me just fine.I took it thru some grass and soft dirt and it handled it.If I had more money I would have got a model with fancier deralliers and more gears but I didnt have the coin and this bike works great.I found out fuji makes other companies frames and im talking top of the line bikes.I ride city streets and this bike hauls some a$$.Stop reading reviews and go buy one!!!!

Similar Products Used: Trek fx that cost alot more and isnt as good as the fuji.
Allison   Road Racer [Aug 20, 2008]
Strength:

Great for hill climbing. I've taken this up 11% grade hills without any problems. Easy to mount a rack on for travel rides.

Too heavy to be fast. Casual position makes aggressive riding uncomfortable and challenging.

Great overall ride. A little heavy for fast distance but great for a casual ride. Comfortable position for easy riding. Highly recommended for anyone

boroef   Road Racer [Apr 13, 2006]
Strength:

stiff wheels.
great stopping power.
very stable.

tires are below par, handling is pretty slow.

I rode the bike stock for a while, and disliked the compact position from the flatbar. it was totally personal preference, so i changed the bars to a cow horn and dropped the stem 10 degrees.

The bike came stock with Acera derailers and a gigantic cassette, which wasnt really necessary since you wont use the larger gears (ie: the 30 in the back). I really didnt like the shifting performance of the front, since when you want to downshift from the big ring to the middle, it'd drop the chain all the way to the small and then u'd have to upshift once.

I yanked out all the gears and made it single speed for 2 reasons: 1) it's my commuter bike, and i wanted to keep it simple. 2) single gear is awesome for training and forces you to stick with what you have.

The frame is totally solid and rides plenty stiff--not entirely jarring, but pretty stiff (and i bet most of this is attributed to the aluminum front fork!). the mini v brakes are totally awesome and stop on a dime.

the handling is a bit sluggish for my tastes, but once must remember that this is not a bonafide road bike. it's very stable on the streets and get's the job done--that part i like about it..total stability, unlike the snappiness of a true racing bike.

the tires that it comes stock with are not very grippy, but that could simply be changed. i really liked the stock wheelset as it's very stiff (albiet heavy) and has adjustable cone bearings.

Similar Products Used: none. this is my first "flat bar road bike" with such a relaxed geometry. the bike get's a 5 for value, since i got it on clearance (500cdn for an '05) and a 4 for overall because for the type of bike it is, it's great.
luther_cyclist   Road Racer [Oct 07, 2004]
Strength:

the frame is good the rest of this bike is pretty much overhauled since i got it and changed it into a touring machine.. the frame is pretty dang rigid

i like mine the way it is...granted for me to get this bike tweaked kinda cost me an arm and a leg

ok so let me explain what i got goin on with this bike. Bought it stock and it was good. Then i decided i wanted a traditional road bike so i put drop bars on it and sora shifters and basically gave it new components all around. Basically what i am saying is that this frame makes for a really good touring bike if you want to take it and make it something really special, i have since bought a couple more bikes but i will never get rid of this one

Westie   Road Racer [Nov 17, 2003]
Strength:

COMFORT, COMFORT, COMFORT...oh yeah it dont handle half bad either

some times it would be nice to have drop bars when you are really trying to buck the wind

THIS IS A GREAT BIKE. I have ridden many other "hybrids" and road bikes. This is truly the best of both worlds it bring the comfort of a hybrid and the performance of a road bike into one.

PV   Commuter [Jun 20, 2003]
Strength:

Value - comparable to Trek7500FX and Raleigh C700 for a lot less money. Weight (23 lbs - woohoo!). Cool paint job. Easy to maintain.

Tires could be better. As a commuter in the Pacific Northwest, I plan on getting a little more wide - 700x28 and a lot more grippy rubber. Stock brake pads quickly wear out.

This sweet ride has allowed me to bike to and from work everyday since purchase. I retired my old Ross steel frame mtb after 8 years of hard riding. This bike is light, fast and efficient.

Similar Products Used: Trek 7500 FX, Novara Big Buzz, Raleigh C700.
Paul   Recreational Rider [Jun 20, 2003]
Strength:

Light. Fast. About $90 less than a comparable Trek 1000C.

Seat a bit harsh. When I change from the second front sprocket(M) to the third(H) and then back to second, the chain rubs against the front derailer. When I shift to the smallest front sprocket(L) and back to the middle one, the rubbing stops. Can't seem to figure this out. Will stay in second (middle front sprocket until I take it in for 30 day toon-up and after every thing is broken in and has stretched.

I like the ruby red color and the fact that it weighs 23.5 lbs. My other bike is about 34lbs. The seat is harsh and the ride not as comfortable as my L.L.Bean CCM Procycle with the Brooks B66 saddle. But this is a fast bike and handles very well.

Similar Products Used: CCM Procycle L.L.Bean comfort bike (hand made in Canada, 1969 three-speed Huffy made in USA.
bc0203   Recreational Rider [Jun 10, 2003]
Strength:

Gearing, weight.

seat could be a bit better padded (same size, just use gel)

This is a great ride for the day tripper or commuter who wants something with a more upright position and close gearing. Like the Sora gearset and the tires, will eventually get round to switching out the seat for one with slightly better padding.