Gary Fisher Utopia 2003 Hybrid Bike

Utopia

Will   Recreational Rider [May 07, 2007]
Strength:

Smooth, road bike fast, good handling.

vibrations on seat during off road. I'm used to a full suspension with my old specilaized stumpjumper. Tires lifting up pebbles hitting downtube frames and sometimes gets in your shoes, still heavier than aluminum road bike.

Nice, smooth, and fast ride on bike paths and along bike lanes. 75 mm travel Manitou shocks helps with small road bumps. Tried riding through light gravel dirt road. Experience some vibrations on the seat because it’s a hardtail. I noticed the tires are lifting some pebbles that some of them tiny stones got in my shoes, I guess WTB interwolf got smaller tractions on its tires, compared to regular mtb tires with wider tractions. But when I got back to a pave road, city, bike path, bike lanes or curb sidewalks, ah! I think that’s where the strength is, smooth ride. Went riding with a friend on his road bike and I was able to keep up. The bike is lighter than a mtb, but still slight heavier compared to a regular aluminum road bike. I’m gradually switching to road cycling and this bike is helping me to transition to it, and I plan to keep it.

Similar Products Used: 1999 specialized stumpjumper, 1981 shimano aluminum racer bike
Craig Worling   Recreational Rider [May 02, 2007]
Strength:

Strength of MTB but lighter. Almost speed of road bike but much more comfortable ride with 75mm Manitou front shockie.

Pedals - but with upgrade to SPD's makes a great difference.

Great urban commuter...! This bike gets me around the city fast, but, lets me jump the gutters and kerbs that makes 'roadies' jealous. Perfect rig for urban training/commuting along the cities many bikeways with the ability to get dirty offroad if you so please. Have also done a couple of 100kms road rides in comfort on this one.

Similar Products Used: Also have a 2007 Cannondale CAAD9 Ultegra road bike.
Katie McKee   Recreational Rider [Jul 21, 2006]

I love love love my Utopia. I feel safe and secure on it and yet very speedy. It is extremely comfortable and takes the mystery out of shifting. I did add bar ends (cow-horns?) and a new seat---this really inproved the feel of the bike.

Brian   Recreational Rider [Apr 15, 2006]
Strength:

The 700c Brontrager wheels were the first thing that caught my attention on this bike. They roll fast, smooth, quiet, and... FAST. Shifting is smooth and crisp. After about a month of riding I did need to get a tune up as the cables had stretched out some. It is also a comfortable bike.

The seat was replaced after on ride. It was terrible. It looked and felt like something that would have been on my grandma's bike. The pedals were the cage type. I quickly replaced those with SPD pedals. I also would have liked to see some higher end brakes on the bike. The levers were corroded before the end of the first summer and I wore the pads out the first year as well.

I love my Utopia. It is probably the fastest and most agressive hybrid out there, if you would call it a hybrid. Mine came stock with bald street like tires, but wider to allow for the use on bike paths. Gary Fisher bikes boasts that it is road bike fast and mountain bike tough and I've found this to be the case. I can keep up with my roady friends with no problem and go places that they can't on their much more expensive bikes. I'm even planning on using it in a triathlon this summer. This bike is fast and smooth, although it does weigh a little more than I'd like.

Similar Products Used: This is my first "hybrid." My previous bike was a Giant Mtn. bike.
gfutopia   Commuter [Dec 30, 2003]
Strength:

The bike just looks fast...it has an aggressive stance the way I ihave it set up with everything leaning forward and down. And it can be really quick if you want it to be. The smallest effort produces a good pace...if you hammer away....

The seat has to go first. I may have prefered the flat bar instead of the comfort one...but flipping it gives you an even lower crouch. The 15 deg. fork is too much, also. Zero degree is needed.

I am totally happy with my bike. I donated my care to charity and go the bike and now it's my car. It tears apart the city streets and can keep pace in even a swift traffic pace. It does weigh a bit and getting it up and down a few flights of stairs in an apt can be....wait....suck it up. The rock shox make it front heavy but the way it smooths out the streets makes it that much more of an enjoyable ride, regardless of weight. I think this is the perfect bike for someone who enjoys a quick ride around the city (sometimes I can look down and see I'm cruising at 26 and not even really be feeling like it) and the freedom to explore towns 50 miles away. The gears switch almost instantly with just a 'click' and the chain spinning is silent if you keep it greased. Silent. No one will hear you coming.

jingorm   Commuter [Nov 30, 2003]
Strength:

I agree with prior reviewers, the shifting is smooth as is the ride. Also a good looking frame. The front shock does help smooth out the potholes and cracks in the road, but I'd prefer to save the weight with a standard fork. Versatile enough for my wife to use when we ride together.

Could use a more aerodynamic seat. It's too wide. Doesn't go like my Trek, but that's not a fair comparison...

A solid commuting bike with quality Shimano components. I purchased the bike to commute from VA into DC and needed a more durable bicycle for the DC roads. The bike feels heavy relative to my Trek Y-Foil but it compares well with its class.

Similar Products Used: Tested out Giant Cypress SX, Trek 7500FX, Lemond Wayzata. But I used to own Fisher Kai Tai and liked the geometry. and value for product spec
Tim   Commuter [Oct 07, 2003]
Strength:

Good components, great wheels, solid performance. Oh, Genesis geometry RULES on climbs!

Uh...hmmm....errrr...

Clean lines, eye catching paint. Very comfortable riding position, and handles extremely well for such a tall bike. Not quite as fast as my Cannondale, but the comfort level enhances the riding experience.

Similar Products Used: First hybrid. Other bike is a C'dale R500.
Cheeseburger   Recreational Rider [Aug 05, 2003]
Strength:

Shifting is crisp, accurate and smooth. You won't be able to keep up with some of the roadies out there - but you'll leave any mountain bikes, cruisers, or comfort-bikes in your dust! Come to think of it - you might be able to hang with some of the roadies after all! The Utopia is pretty quick

Did I mention the saddle?? Change it, quickly! Really awful!

This bike is extremely well made - strong aluminium frame, great Deore LX components, good tires and wheels.....well thought out, top to bottom. Except the saddle. Simply put: "horrible!"

Similar Products Used: My Diamond Back Apex (1991) - all steel - is still going strong. As is my Miele road bike!
Ed O Hara   Recreational Rider [Jul 12, 2003]
Strength:

It is light weight and very durable. Shifting is excellent. It is a beautifully made bicycle. I get comments almost daily on what type bike it is and where are they sold.

About the only weakness is the saddle. I had to add a gel seat because it was starting to cause problems.

This is a great ride for my uses. Shifting is crisp, bike is very fast when you want to be fast, handles really well.

Abed Husseini   Commuter [Jan 07, 2003]
Strength:

Relatively Light Weight even with Front Suspension. Good Set of equipment on it.

Not too impressed with the stock seat that it comes with. Too mushy, and butt pain galore.

Use it almost daily to commute to work! Great bike for the price. Compared against Trek 7500, liked this one better