Gary Fisher Zebrano 2003 Hybrid Bike

Zebrano

cleverendeavor   Recreational Rider [Dec 18, 2008]
Strength:

Geometry, Wheels, Cheap price, Decent Components

Heavy, but what do you expect from a bike that comes with a kickstand?

Disclaimer: I'm a part-time mechanic and avid bike builder who purchased this bike for a friend and only rode it around a few miles. Now on to the good stuff:

"richard" must be drinking bleach, because if he didn't like the paint job, he shouldn't have bought the bike! And 3 out of 5 stars simply because it looks bad??? Apparently aesthetic appeal is 40% of what's important in a bike to richard. Obviously he doesn't ride much.

"stevenq" is also drinking bleach. If you're having chain suck, it's not the bike's fault...it's the guy who assembled the bike's fault! They're called limit screws, and they prevent your derailleur from dumping your chain. Also, if you learn how to downshift properly and keep your bike tuned up, you won't get chain suck ever again.

That being said, this bike is an excellent machine for the price I paid ( it was used/near-new.) It's a bit on the heavy side, but everything seems durable and the geometry is more than comfortable. The fact that I can put cyclocross tires on it and ride it on fire roads makes it a sweet commuting machine, and I could break it in half and be out less money than what I paid for my Rocky Mountain's wheelset. It's almost like a heavy, hybrid 29er. Sweet.

To anyone who has squeaky brakes, bad shifting, etc...do a quick search on google. Most of those problems can be fixed easily without having to take it into a shop!

Similar Products Used: Trek hybrid, Giant hybrid
richard   Recreational Rider [Mar 18, 2008]
Strength:

It does everything it is supposed to.

Paint design

I like this bike but it is ugly. The weight, speed, shifters, upright position, ability to handle rough roads are all great. The paint design reminds me of Kmart or 70's disco. The pedals are inferior.

Similar Products Used: Trek
Nick   Road Racer [Nov 11, 2007]
Strength:

Very strong wheels, only need to get adjusted once a year. Very light. Quality components. A true performance hybrid. 4000km on it so far, and only had 2 hard accidents, the bike survived with no scratch. First a collision with a vehicle, then a door. Didn't even need to adjust anything afterwards. Only 4 hours at emergency with a couple of broken fingers.

The only weakness I found was the shift from 2X2 and 2X3 or 2X3 and 2X4. The chain drops, or skips the gear. had to get it adjusted at my LBS.

Got the 2007 Gary Fisher Zebrano as a gift.
First month was rough, but later on, when the bike was warmed up, I was only using it, over my other bikes. Tektro V-brakes (Malaysian), the Alivio rear and front 102 derailleurs (also Malaysian) fit the bike great. 24 speed give it the touch, the thing that lifts it higher than other bikes. The Bontrager Camino rims are very strong, I only adjusted them once after a year of jumping from sidewalks.

Similar Products Used: None
stevenq   Recreational Rider [Sep 21, 2006]
Strength:

I like the smooth ride, gear ratios allow me to climb steep mountains, or glide down long declines, fairly lightweight alum frame.

Chain suck, squishy brakes

I have the 2006 Zebrano and I suffered from serious chain suck as soon as I started riding it. After only 3 weeks and roughly 20 miles I suffered from serious chain suck roughly half a dozen times. Twice I took it into the shop because I could not undo the chain. The tech took a look at the crank and found a bunch of bent teeth and filed down several burs. I didn't trust the bike after this, even though he "fixed" it and I got a replacement.

I like this bike very much. The ride is very smooth, and comfortable. I find the creature comforts such as upright handlebars, and full suspension to be delightful on longer bike trips. Since my tires are the knobby type, I can go off roading in places like Mount Tam and won't have to worry as much for traction or getting a flat tire. I am curious as to how well the road treads perform on pavement however.

I also like the Shimano index shifters. They are easy to read, and engage/disengage. The brakes are a different story. The fronts were much too squishy. They have been replaced with Shimano XT's. Big difference. I can stop much faster now, although I prefer to be able to stop on a dime.

Because of the chain suck issues, I would not recommend this bike to a friend.

Similar Products Used: not worth mentioning
kreplerfp   Recreational Rider [Aug 02, 2006]
Strength:

comfort and ease of riding

Brake squeal rear brakes

I looked at a number of Hybrid bikes but The 7200 was the best looking and the most comfortable bike to ride. Very good quality on bike, in this price range. Its a great bike for commuting and bike paths. Only problem I`ve had is brake squeal from rear brakes.
Highly recommend

Similar Products Used: Raleigh, Giany cypress dx
marmul   Commuter [Jul 09, 2003]
Strength:

Price, durability

The front chainring seems to flez a little but you would too pulling all that weight!

Great entry level hybrid. I am 5'11" 270 lbs, I tow my 2 year old in a trailer (50lbs) and this bike can handle it all. Lot's of features and adjustments can be made to suit everyone.

Similar Products Used: Trek 820
Gary   Recreational Rider [Jul 08, 2003]
Strength:

Very comfortable for those of us who prefer a more upright riding position. Goes faster on bike paths than my ATB and also does well on moderate-speed road rides. I like the rapid-fire shifters, although that wasn't the decisive factor in my purchase. The Zebrano is offered in a wide range of sizes.

The brakes squeal sometimes. This might be a simple adjustment, I haven't been back to the dealer for service yet. The bike has upper braze-ons for a rack but the location of the lower holes means that many racks don't fit properly. I don't know whether this problem also occurs in the smaller frame sizes. I did find a rack that fits, the lower supports attach to the holes at about a 45 degree angle rearward.

I have ridden my Zebrano about 500 miles in a little less than 3 weeks on both roads and bike paths and it has handled well. The bike path that I usually ride is crushed stone in one direction and paved, but in poor condition, in the other direction. I'm 6'3" and got the 25" model. For my use, the Zebrano seems like the best combination of features for the price among its Gary Fisher siblings (Tiburon, Nirvana, Utopia) and its Trek cousins (7100, 7200, 7300), all of which appear to use the same frame. Only the Zebrano and Trek 7200 are offered in the 25" size, I haven't seen a frame that large from any of their competitors. The 24-speed gearing is more than adequate for my needs. I'm very happy with the bike so far. This is not the bike for fast road rides or for riding on loose dirt but I highly recommend it for those who want good performance on both roads and trails.

Similar Products Used: Replaced an inexpensive ATB.
Macs   Recreational Rider [Jun 25, 2003]
Strength:

THE COMPONENTS!!! For the price

None yet. O yea' cant ride it enough!!

After several hundred miles, Its every thing I need in a every day ride.Demo several different Hybrids this one had it all comfort and most of all a quick sure shifter. Not a twist.

Similar Products Used: Had a Calypso By Trek, If you call it similar.