Giant Cypress DX 2003 Hybrid Bike

Cypress DX

Sarah   Recreational Rider [Apr 27, 2011]
Strength:

Sturdy
Has held up pretty well for being an inexpensive bike
Upright positioning makes it easy to see and be seen in traffic

Awkward water bottle placement
Heavy

I always hated this bike, but it's mostly because I bought it too big. A 17" frame for a 5'2" person is far too big, but I thought it fit because I could stand over the sloping top tube! (I learned otherwise.) I am using it as a commuter now, with bell/lights/rack/basket/fenders. This is not a high-end bike, and I did have some components fail: first to go was the quick-release on the seat. The tires separated on the inside, so that the tube could bulge out. This thing is kind of a tank: It's big, it's heavy, and it sort of steamrolls its way along. But along with that, it's a pretty steady ride.

Major annoyance: The placement of the water bottle cage. I had bruises in an unfortunate area from dismounting until I found a different cage style, but even so, the water bottle is right in the way of one's crotch.

Similar Products Used: Trek 2.1 WSD
OVERALL
Brian   Recreational Rider [Aug 01, 2003]
Strength:

Comfortable, fairly light-weight

Not made for any offroading other than gravel paths

I bought this bike about a month ago - have used it mainly for recreational and fitness-type riding. Love it - very comfortable, good shifters and brakes, and a very smooth ride with the front suspension and the shock absorber in the seat post