Giant Sedona DX 2003 Hybrid Bike

Sedona DX

Timothy D. Thome   Recreational Rider [Nov 20, 2010]
Strength:

Style, speed, overall good looks, stock options are good with the usual upgrades available as time goes on.

None so far.

I just replaced an old Huffy 21 speed mtn bike I bought about 20 yrs ago. It was a heavy steel frame monster. My wife and I ride 7 miles every morning for exercise and she has a nice Trek, she blew me away every day. Not anymore!!
This Giant Sedona DX is a great bike, the weight is much lighter, the upright ride is smooth and fast. I had my tires put on as I prefer a bit more aggressive tire than what came with the new giant. We ride street, path and single track on weekends and this DX does very well. This bike serves several styles of riding all in one neat package. I am very pleased overall and would recommend this bike to anyone looking for exercise, fun and adventure!

Similar Products Used: Nothing that compares to this bike.
abailz   Commuter [Nov 11, 2009]
Strength:

Good, adjustable front fork. Smooth ride. Easy to work on.

ACERA components are too slow on the road when I'm commuting. Have to change the tires from commuter to fat trail tires, at the very least, to be effectively ridden on any single track.

This is a fine, commuter/casual riding bike. The ride is smooth, and the components work together fairly well. I've read some other reviews, and am not sure I could see using mine on the trails I've been on in AZ, with other mountain bikes I've owned. However, for commuting, casual riding, it's been a good investment for me. I do have a gel seat on it. The up-right seating position just about required my getting it. And, I do plan on up-grading the gears as the ACERA components are just too slow on the road.

Tim   Commuter [Sep 11, 2009]
Strength:

Strong alloy frame

Shift cables exposed, weak brake levers

So I finally got a bike I can stretch my legs on. Problem is I went from too small to almost too big. I scored a Giant Sedona DX with a 23" frame. Got it cheap at the local thrift store and spent less than $40 fixing the lil things. The style allows for an upright riding position but the seat does not. In a nutshell this is truly a best of two worlds bike. with the bars forward and the seat up it makes for a great trail bike with ultra low gear for hills. With the bars back and the seat down it makes a great cruiser for the strand. The only negative thing I can say about it is the unnecessary work in manufacturing on the brake levers. Plastic inserts? Why? Just another point of failure. They come loose, screws fall out, plastic doesn't weather well. You end up replacing them with good levers.

Similar Products Used: Trek 7000
craig r union city   Commuter [Jul 13, 2009]
Strength:

strong and versatile, great for New York City streets

no fenders are offered by the company

Nice all around bike for the money

Kurt9099   Recreational Rider [Jun 23, 2009]
Strength:

Great all around bike!

None yet!

I'm just getting into riding and road tested several bikes. The Sedona DX is the one that had a bit of everything and was the most comfortable. It's good on the road or light trails. Seems very strong, switches gears flawlessly and is a pleasure to ride.

geoff mclain   Commuter [Aug 22, 2008]
Strength:

Rims, smooth gears, ergonomics.

Slightly on the heavy side.

Best bicycle I have ever ridden. I ride it daily to and from work. It absorbs road vibration and potholes like a champ.
the rims have stayed straight and true even after jumping it several times on a BMX course. Ergonomics and balance are perfect. I love the brakes, no fade even during a downpour. I ride bicycles on a daily basis and have ridden all kinds of bikes...from all out racers to mountain bikes... and I love this one best. It isnt very light, but it is REALLY STRONG.
I say MUSCLE UP!!!
The forks and the frame absorb soooo much shock that I feel like I'm riding my BMW motorcycle. I love the large frame size, I'm big (6foot3, 200 pounds)
This is the perfect adult, commuter bike!!

Similar Products Used: Next brand mountain bike. Kos Kruiser.
SUNNY DAY RIDER   Commuter [Jul 08, 2008]

I got caught in the rain, evidently there were defective hub bearings and the BIKE SOURCE in THE WOODLANDS, TX is telling me that after less than 2 months of commuter type riding, getting caught in the rain a couple times that water has so significantly damaged my bearings that they need to be replaced. ADDITIONALLY they say this isn't coverred under the warranty due to water damage. So i'm supposed to ride on ONLY SUNSHINE PRETTY FLOWER PASTEL days to avoid further damaging this precious little hub. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! Are you KIDDING ME? Are they to expect me to believe that a bike can't handle getting caught in the rain once in a while? I could go to walmart, buy an $89.00 Huffy, sink the whole thing in a swimming pool of salt water for a month and pull it out and it wouldn't have "WATER DAMAGE" like they are saying i caused by riding this GIANT in the rain! i think they sold me a defective bike, i think they knew it, and i think they are now trying to sell me a "bill of goods!" How can a bike have water damage in the HUB just from getting caught in a couple rainstorms? SOUNDS LIKE DEFECTIVE HUBS AND DEFECTIVE STORE!

Tom Austin   Recreational Rider [Sep 04, 2007]
Strength:

Frame, Gearing, suspension

Cheap pedals (Mine were replaced with Shimano SPD M324's)

The Giant Sedona DX is an excellent bike for the money, and features it offers. The front, adjustable suspension provides a very comfortable ride, and combined with the seat suspension, an unbeatable combo.

I took the Giant saddle off and replaced it with a Terry Cite Y Gel saddle...and the result was a very comfortable bike to ride. This Giant has been on several 50-75 mile rides since it was purchased in March. I usually ride 45-70 miles on trails around Southern Illinois and Missouri, but the Sedona DX is also suited for road riding as well.

Mine is a two-tone dark metallic blue/blue and has the DX Shimano package...excellent, smooth shifting and decent speed for a recreational rider like myself.