Marin Mountain Bikes Muirwoods 2003 Hybrid Bike

Marin Mountain Bikes Muirwoods 2003 Hybrid Bike

[Jul 15, 2011]
I V

Strength:

Versatile and comfortable

Nothing that can't be applied to other bikes: get pedals that work for you and know some bike maintenance

This was my first 'real' bike (after the two I had as a little kid). I wanted a solid all around bike that I could use on a multitude of terrains and not have to really compromise anything. Maybe as a beginning rider this was sort of naive of me to want an all in one bike, but I don't really care because thats what I got in this bike. It handles well and is comfortable and is perfect for someone like me who switches between road and sidewalk use and occasional trails. It's an awesome bicycle. Mine came with regular pedals which I traded out for ones with toe clips which really make a difference. Also, at first I had minor problems with it (like a noisy chain and weak breaks) but after becoming accustomed to basic bicycle maintenance I was able to diagnose these myself within half an hour. Also, I find it worthy to mention that I bought this bike used, even if only for short time (according to the dealer, about
a year and a half) and it works well. I plan to have this bike for a long time.

Car (they're both vehicles (and sorry for how often I use parentheses))

[Jul 28, 2009]
True Indian

Strength:

Light & fast, great on road.

Stock pedals weared and lost "gripping" ability after ~1000km

Bought on spring sale, thus so cheap.
I like this bike very much! There are no troubles with maintenance. Good rims, great "bad-boy" looking. I rode about 800 miles during last 2-3 months and can say that it's great for a road riding, noticeable faster than "common" MTB-bike of such price with low-class heavy fork and aggressive tyres.
On good flat soil roads it very nice too.
But its not easy to ride in forest, road covered by sand, or mud, but tbh this is not the things this bike made for. And of course it always possible to replace stock tyres with good semislick (what i'm gonna do) to feel more confident on off-road routes.

Rock Machine CrossRide 75

[Aug 11, 2008]
Jade

Strength:

Wide handlebar, comfortable geometry, ruggedness, quick & nimble, lightweight

None so far

The Marin Muirwoods is the perfect balance between a road bike and a mountain bike with the ruggedness to take on a trail. I had a mountain bike and then a road bike but really wanted the best of both worlds and that's what this is. I only gave 4 stars because I think 5 stars for anything should be almost impossible.

Cannondale entry-level mountain bike, also an entry-level road bike

[Jun 23, 2007]
Redbard

Strength:

Sturdy bike with good components for the price. I love the black frame and wheels..it is practically invisible on the rack that I park it on.

The holes for the water bottle on the seatpost are too low...the waterbottle rack interferes with the deraillier. If the holes were a half inch higher, it would be no problem. I was able to modify my water bottle rack, but someone should have thought of that.

Bought the Muirwoods this March for a 20 mile roundtrip commute to Harrisburg, PA. Currently, I ride between 40 and 100 miles per week on the commute (depending on how many days I have to drop the kids at daycare) and usually 30 miles on the weekend. What a great bike!

It's light, fast and agile, and the frame is strong. I had an accident a couple of weeks ago on my commute, a tractor trailer made a right-hand turn in front of me. It was either go up over the curb, or under the truck. I went over the curb...the hard way. Other than needing to get my front wheel trued, there was nothing wrong with the bike.

[Jun 15, 2007]
Lee Reynolds

Strength:

Great acceleration, nice sturdy frame, comfortable and pretty mean looking too.

zilch

I bought a 2006 muirwoods last year to do a charity ride form John O Groats to Lands End. I was pretty much in the mercy of the salesman at the time as I didn't know too much about bikes. It turned out to be an absolute gem. It took me through 1041 miles without so much as one puncture, great bike!
I'm about to take it on a 200 mile one day ride in July, and that will be on the same tyres, I can't wait. It's so comfortable on the long haul.

Only other bike before this was an old kona lava dome

[May 20, 2007]
Nathan

Strength:

Very quick acceleration. Fast and agile. Very lightweight.

Haven't found any yet.

All I can say is: it's a fantastic bike!

Marin Mill Valley
Marin Kentfield

[May 11, 2007]
Gary Bastoky

Strength:

Good gearing, lightweight, seems solid. Great price!

Haven't found any yet.

I did my research, tested a number of bikes in this class and settled on the Marin and I'm very glad I did. This bike just hauls! It's lightweight, the shifter is intuitive, it's comfortable for a hardtail, it's all sort of stealth gray -- even the spokes, and it is very easy to ride. So far, I love this bike. I'd love to ride along the Marin headlands where it was born or through Sonoma or the Napa Valley.

Miyata Triple Cross
Bianci Boardwalk

[Apr 14, 2007]
Julie

Strength:

Really affordable. Quality bike without anything fancy to make it more attractive to thieves. I really like the demure color scheme.

I also really like the trigger shifters.

For the 1st month I found that the seat would inxeplicably slip. This happened once when I was riding and could have potentially been pretty scary. It seems to be ok now.

I would have liked the handlebars to be a little higher.

Sometimes the shifting would be delayed or downshift

available hand positions

A great bike for the money. I rode it all summer

none. This is my first nice bike.

[Dec 05, 2006]
Julie

Strength:

Shifters, light weight

The only problem I had was the seat. It kept sliding down. I was weird though because it never happened while I was on it. I would just get on it hte next day and the seat would be too low. Seat itself took a little getting used to, kind of hard.

I rode this bike ~80-100 mi/wk for 3 months. The only problem after the initial tune up was a clicking in lower gears.

I know absolutely nothing about bikes. This bike was perfect for my needs. I also liked that the design is really low key and there aren't any frills.

N/A

[May 27, 2005]
grahajas

Strength:

THe foundation of the bike is great frame & design. I go 20 mph pretty easy on straight aways. No need for shocks in my opinion. Lightweight 4 the $ I hit 50mph the other day in a descent

Plan on spending another $200 on this bike if you ride alot. YOu'll need better tires & rims. Also hubs & and a cassette upgrade once the cheap chain breaks. Original break pads go quick.

This bike really caught my eye and seemed to suit my purpose.Commuting about 80-100 miles a week through the rough streets of cincinnati not to mention some major hills. The bike was great but then 1 week the crank falls off replaced for free even a slight upgrade. 1 month need new rear rim WTB sucks! Marin gave me $25 credit towards a new new one woo hoo THen I get 4 flats in 10 days 2 of those with tuffy inserts. Marin also gave me new brake pads because the originals obviously suck. My chain broke yesterday and thats what caused me to write this. Not only do I need a new chain but now I need a new cassette also. The $400 price tag is approaching $600 now easy. THe main problem is that it's not that reliable. I've spent more time on the bus than on the bike in the last 2 weeks. Not to mention missed classes and wages.

I sed to have a trek mountain bike while not for the city streets it was reliable.