Schwinn Voyageur AL 2003 Hybrid Bike

Voyageur AL

rickpaulos   Commuter [Aug 09, 2011]

This bike is a bolt upright comfort bike. Designed to catch the maximum amount of wind drag and to minimise muscle effectiveness. It's a go really slow bike for inexperienced riders. Too much weight on the rear wheel means little control on loose surfaces. Shock front fork lifts the front end even higher. Fat padded seat. Missing a shock seat post to complete the illusion of a bike that is no effort to ride.

"Not familiar with Schwinn"? Are you kidding? I can only assume you are not in the USA. Which leads to the next question, why is Pacific trying to sell Schwinn branded bikes in a country where they have no name recognition?

OVERALL
fatblokepete   Recreational Rider [May 30, 2003]
Strength:

Comfort, brakes, value, adjustability and gear range.

Soft ride, weld on the Aluminium frame are untidy.

My old drop handlebar Raleigh road bike was becoming increasingly unreliable. I suffer from a weak lower spine and decided to try an upright hybrid. After some research on the web I selected the Saracen Highway. My local(ish) bike shop - Wheels of Gillingham - stocked Saracen so off I went. Sat on the largest Saracen - too small for me.My wife confirmed that I looked silly on it. The largest hybrid in the shop was a Schwinn Voyageur, not a make I was familiar with but noted that the gears were Shimano and looked to be OK. Sat on it, met with wife's approval. I had mudguards and a rack added and off I went. First thing I noticed was how good the brakes were. I found the soft ride took some time to get used to, especially on downhill corners. The ride comfort is good and the upright position, sprung saddle and seat post suspension have made riding a pleasure again. I now only use the old Raleigh for rides to the train station where I feel confident that it is less desirable to thieves that my smart Schwinn. The twist grip SRAM shifters are OK and have given me no problems. When the tyres wear out I think I'll change to a more slick type with higher pressures and less rolling resistance as I never go off road. Some of the roads round here are poorly maintained and the current tyres and suspension cope well with the pot holes etc. The gear range is superb, the bottom gear is the lowest I have ever had and the highest is not too low to be restrictive. Adjustments of saddle & handle bars is excellent. I thinj the bike is good for people who want a comfortable, reliable and safe ride. I'm not sure that it would suit very experienced riders looking for either a fast ride or off road rides.