HP Velotechnik Street Machine Gt 2003 Recumbent Bike

Street Machine Gt

bluemoo   Recreational Rider [Jan 13, 2011]
Strength:

Comfort. Elegance. Quality. Design.

Climbing.

I've got shoulder and elbow problems (sports injuries) and suffer from numbness on longer rides on conventional bikes. So a recumbent it must be. The Street Machine is excellent - top quality, still looks like new all these years. So comfortable, easy to balance, gets a lot of attention - but doesn't look geeky or home made or just odd like other 'bents can. You won't win any races if the finish line is at the top of a climb. But on the flat, into the wind, or downhill nothing can touch it. Great load carrier too. It couldn't be my only bike - weaving in traffic and jumping curbs is out - but what a weekend and holiday pleasure.

Similar Products Used: Compared to my Moulton, my Dawes Galaxy, and my Brompton.
Chris Waymire   Commuter [Jul 01, 2003]
Strength:

Dual Suspension. Quality of construction.

Weight.

I've had my bike for about three weeks now, logging 400 miles. I love the quality and thoughtfullness of the design. Yesterday, I took it for a 50 mile ride through some of the Oregon Wine Country. One hill had me climb 1500 ft in less then a mile. Once over though, the descent was just as fast. I really appreciated the dual suspension as I watched the trip computer hit 53 mph. In my mind, I'm comparing it to the Vision VR45 that I rode for the last 6 years. The HP is a better thought out machine. The only problems that I've had so far is that the seat is taking a bit of getting used to. It's the right size, but not as comfy as the mesh type on the Vision. Secondly, it doesn't climb as easily as the Vision, due to the wieght. However, the wider gear range helps to get up the hills, just not quite as fast. All in all, I love it. I would highly recommend it.

Similar Products Used: Vision VR45
Nigel Olden   Commuter [Jun 14, 2003]
Strength:

Well built with good components. Great handling especially ladden with luggage

a little on the heavy side at 16kilos without panniers.

I bought this as my first recumbent after reading other reviews. It is very well built bike with good parts. I commute a round trip of 6o mile to and from work daily and can make it comfortable in under 2 hours now. I have been on 300 mile trips fully loaded with tent-sleeping bags etc.