Sun Bicycles EZ-3 2003 Recumbent Bike

EZ-3

cactusbill   Commuter [Sep 28, 2008]
Strength:

Gear range and quality SRAM parts. 3 disc brakes; 20" tires; aluminum frame; web mesh seat. Outstanding for dedicated older rider with back/neck/arm problems.

Disc brakes low quality and need upgrade. Drive gear adjustment system could be more user friendly for tuning to prevent chain rub.

Very happy with choice. EZ Racers design outstanding and Sun valued it right. Leg work and steering are much different but now I force myself to take the other bikes out for a spin. I commute 10+ miles daily, multi-day tours with BOB trailer which works great. Life-long rider triathlete, touring, commuting. Now at 61 switched from touring and expedition bikes due to back and neck wear and tear from cycling etc.

Similar Products Used: Tested Tadpoles but need Delta due to back problems.
Jim   Recreational Rider [Apr 09, 2007]
Strength:

3 wheels means stable platform especially for some one who has a physical disability that would prevent them from riding on two wheels. Handlebars are adjustable for tilt front to rear for differing rider arm lengths.

Over 20 mph downhill it feels very twitchy, sort of like sneeze and you'll die. Rear most drive cog set screw can work loose allowing cog to slide left to right on rear axle. Check it with 4 mm allen wrench occassionally. Wife liked it so much I had to get another bike.

An easy introduction to recumbent riding. The bottom bracket(Pedals) is approximately 5 inches lower than the seat which makes for a comfortable ride especially for beginners. It comes with 21 gears 3 front 7 rear with adequate low and high range to cover normal bike path riding. The seat is highly adjustable front to rear for differing leg lengths and the back has a good ajustment range for tilt. One rear disc brake and a Vee brake on front give good stopping power.
I've been on rides up to 30 miles round trip and it is a comfortable ride.

Similar Products Used: Sun 3-AL trike. Similar to the 3sx but 20 inch wheels all around, better drive train, and better stability over 20 mph.
Robert   Recreational Rider [Oct 14, 2003]
Strength:

Light, smooth and the price can't be beat.

cornering

I purchased my EZ-3 on e-bay. I got it for $560 delivered. Assembly wasn't too difficult. The rear assembly was a bit tricky at first but once figured out wasn't hard to install. I have put several hundred miles on it and dearly love it. I am currently doing many upgrades. I am adding Skyway Tuff II mag wheels, Airfree tires, fenders, a 31cc Honda 4 stroke motor and a trailer. I also added a Cateye Opti Cube LED headlight which is great at night. Overall the trike rides great. The smoothness of the ride is directly affected by the air pressure in the tires. It takes a little to get used to the cornering as it is much different than a bike but once mastered does well. I have found that one of the surprises that I found was the ease with which I can take a short nap without even getting off the trike. A nice feature on those century rides. Overall a great trike for the money.