Airborne Manhattan Project 2003 Road Bike

Airborne Manhattan Project 2003 Road Bike

The NEW Manhattan Project is the culmination of continuing research, engineering, development and testing to produce the ultimate titanium road frame. Utilizing custom drawn 3Al/ 2.5V titanium tubing, and engineering the tubing profiles so they are force specific in nature, then mating the front triangle with proprietary KESTREL EMS Composite seat stays; Airborne has achieved a ride quality that is unmatched at any price point. (Six sizes available: 51,53,55,57,59 and 61cm)

[Nov 13, 2006]
Herkwo

Strength:

Price w/ the military discount could not be beat! Configurable database allowing you to custom build your bike. Frame quality is outstanding. Definitely on par w/ Moots, Litespeed, Merlin, etc. at a fraction of the price!

The rider & not enough time to ride? Seriously... Airborne.net giving up and becoming Flyte (Flyte1.com) was an unexpected blow and discouraging knowing now that if I have future warranty problems requiring frame replacement it will be a Flyte frame. I prefer the raw/unpainted Ti frames vs their new painted frames plus they do not currently offer a Ti frame w/ carbon seat stays like the Manhatttan Project.

This review is for the 2005 model. I have put over 3,500 miles on this workhorse and could not be happier. I have had no problems at all. Remarkable ride. The frame is extremely light and coupled with the carbon seat stays and fork the ride is smooth and compliant.
If you can still find one out there garb it. You will not be disappointed.

Tested Litespeed and Merlin.
Past Bike:
Trek 2300
Current MTB:
2000 Schwinn Homegrown w/ full XTR

[Jul 25, 2005]
clayg420

Strength:

Everything! Ride, Handling, etc. Titanium Frame, Matching Airborne Fork and Seat Stay by Reynolds, Welds, Kysrium wheels, much better deal than Merlin, Moots, Litespeed, etc.

i am enjoying it too much to realize any weakness

I was actually buying two bikes, one for me, one for my wife. I shopped for about 6 months. Felt like Airborne offered the best value - titanium frame, lifetime warranty, 10 day money back trial test, 1/2 price crashed frame replacement, plus you get to select the components, but found out to do this with most bikes in this range you are subject to your LBS prices for those component choices. I found most bike shops tried to sell you on the you need a custom sized bike before they even know if you need a custom sized bike. This bike shop measured both my wife and I before making any kind of determination. We are both extremely happy with our purchases (she got a WASP).

waterford, trek, litespeed

[Apr 27, 2005]
sd.jackson

Strength:

Looks. Glides instead of rolls.Goes into fast corners just where you aim it. Saves you a fortune. You will never spend a penny (or cent ) on another frame again.

I like beer too much.(I had to write something, the bike is perfect)

I have just bought the 2005 model with aileron sl full carbon fork. i have seen hundreds of bikes in my time but this is the most beautiful piece of engineering i have ever seen. i would stand it next to anything. it is simply stunning. i have done about 25 miles on this thing and the difference in ride quality between this and my £1000 Giant is clear. This is a bike that you look at and think it is worth twice what you paid, ride it and wonder why you ever rode anything else. No disrespect to the 2004 and 2003 owners but in the aesthetic stakes, the 2005 wins outright.

Giant ocr zero (full ultegra) Nearly as good airborne zeppelin

[Nov 08, 2004]
cragrat

Strength:

Great looks and comfort and a competitive price for the package

Transfers have all started to peel off. Would have gave it 5s if it wasnt for this

I love this frame it really is comfy and it sure gives you back what you give it.Carbon rear end is very direct and sharp

1st generation carbon / So anything would be an improvement. But seriously this frame is responsive And stiff

[Oct 12, 2004]
msurapid

Strength:

Smooth ride, weight, stability. Titanium. Lifetime frame warranty.

No quick release seat post. Purely personal preference, but I am not thrilled with the stock handlebar shape.

The ride quality of this bike is amazing. I have taken rides up to 70 miles with no fatigue whatsoever. Road vibration is nil. At times I look at the tires to make sure they are not going soft, as the road feels that smooth. The finish is excellent. And as other writers have noted, the rear triangle is a thing of beauty. Because I bought it in February, (in northern Michigan) and because I got it at a substantial discount from list price, I did not even try other brands. I cannot imagine liking anything any better.

Slingshot 650c road bike.

[Sep 21, 2003]
Bunky Webb

Strength:

Superior descent characteristics: this bike picks a line, but rewards you if a mid-corner correction is required. There is just enough rake and trail to center comfortably, but not too much. This is a light bike! 18.2 lbs. for a 61cm bike is the real deal. It climbs like a beast and just begs you to come out of the saddle hard on little risers. Other points: The set-up I chose is outstanding. What's not to like about Dura-Ace and Ksyriums? Also, the folks at Airborne have been cool. And not to forget: what a great price! $3,500 for titanium/carbon and Dura-Ace; awesome!

The geometry is precise. Take Airborne's sizing process seriously and be persistent to dial-in the right fit. I haven't really found an inherent weakness yet...

I love this bicycle! It's a first for me for a couple of different reasons. This is my first titanium bicycle and my first compact or semi-compact bike. Titanium, or should I say titanium and carbon. Fabulous! Responsive and forgiving. Absolutely smooth and firm when I mash the pedals and ask for more. No chatter or discomfort on poor road surfaces. The finish of the frame is fantastic; smooth welds and a seemless bond in the rear triangle. This is a great looking bike. Excellent luster and a commanding presence. Most important? A simply superior ride! The geometry. Wow! I'm 6'3", with a 36" inseam. I have been on 63cm bikes for years. I now have a 61cm frame that actually looks smaller because of the compact design. It has taken me awhile to get happy with this; finally some time with a Fit-Stick made it happen. I may never go back to a traditional frame. Why would I? This bike fits me beautifully, corners like a champion, weighs 18.2 lbs. fully set-up and will not flex under even the most brutal mashing. A couple of notes. Don't skimp on this bike. I am very glad I didn't. I did stop short of Campy Carbon Record, but I have no "what if" type questions about my choices. This bike is just about the best it can be. Anything that is lacking is likely an weakness in the rider! Also, go to an authorized dealer. The folks at Airborne are wonderful, but it's great to have a pro to go to when you have a problem.

The current stable -- Cannondale R900 : Aluminum with Ultegra An awesome bike in it's day. Schwinn Peloton: 853 steel with Dura-Ace/Ultegra. Still an awesome bike, which I love. Schwinn Paramount:

[Sep 17, 2003]
BeckyStnly

Strength:

Fast, light, beautiful, smooth, silent, corners like a dream, climbs like a cat, descends as though it were on wings. Does not have any hand-numbing vibration, even on the 2 century rides I've done since getting it. Ease of configuration on Airborne's site.

None, unless you count sticker shock.

Okay, just insert glowing terms here. I couldn't possibly do it justice to the way I feel about it, but I'll try: This bike was love at first sight---absolutely matchless beauty, and the ride quality and performance equals it's looks. I'm a female who had been struggling on the group rides with the Y-chromos this year, and after I got this bike it suddenly became no problem to hang in with the guys at 21+ mph, no mean feat for someone who, previous to this year and the group rides, had never topped 17 mph by herself. This bike rides so smoothly I find myself passing guys who are heavier than I down hills, when I'm just coasting and sitting on the hoods! Everyone who has ridden my bike has commented on what a sweet ride it is. Nice touches: They have routed the brake cable thru the top tube instead of under it; braiz-on for front derailleur; welds are smooth and unobtrusive; the blending of the frame to the carbon stays is seamless; the brushed titanium finish is sleek and satiny. There's no other bike that I'd rather have, and believe me, when you're looking at dropping this much cash, you look around. There's not even a Litespeed currently in existence that I'd take over my MP. And in an area where it seems everyone is on the same carbon fiber Trek, I’m proud to be on something as elegantly different as the Manhattan Project. Airborne bikes are just awesome and only seem to get better every year. And I know what I'm talking about: I have an Airborne Lucky Strike that I got back in 2000, and have been so impressed with it that I kept looking at Airborne for a road bike. When the Manhattan Project came out last year, I was hooked but unable to afford it. I'm glad I waited, as I like the sticker design of the 2003 model better. As an aside, Airborne has excellent customer service, and dealing with them has always been pleasant. They stand behind their product 100%.

Lemond Tourmalet

[Aug 13, 2003]
Kurt Schueler

Strength:

Frame and smoothness.

None so far..

Hi, I just wanted to drop you guys a line and tell you about my buying experience with my local bike (Ambridge, PA Bike Shop) and Airborne. First of all, my goal was to spend under $1800 for a new road . That didn't happen but I'm extremely glad I spent the extra money to buy a new Manhattan Project. Larry Lynch from Ambridge Bike Shop gave me an education on Airborne products. His enthusiasm about Airborne was refreshing, to say the least. I received the bike last week (can't stay off of it) and I've been trying to do my weekly chores, yard, laundry etc..but the bike keeps calling me . My first night out, I decided to push my hilly 15 mile loop harder than normal. The hills weren't the same on the Manhattan Project. I knocked 4 minutes off my best time. I attribute some of made up time to the adrenaline rush of a new bike but really, this bike kicks ass. The Titanium frame experience was unbelievable and the components were a perfect match for me. The frame crafmannsship is exceptional. I showed the bike to my father who is a craftsman and a custom hunting knife collector (the man knows his metal). His first comment was " nice craftsmanship, the welds are beautiful" I haven't written a letter of praise in some time. It seems few and far between that companies like Airborne exist. Thank You, Kurt Schueler

Specialized Allez