Bianchi Eros 2003 Road Bike

Eros

lug lover   Recreational Rider [Sep 02, 2009]
Strength:

Wonderful steel ride; triple chainrings for the hills. Easy to handle, not fatiguing on long rides.

Stock saddle - too uncomfortable & pedals - waay too flexy. Major weakness - no longer made with 650c wheels or with lugs after 1999.

I have a 46cm Eros with 650c wheels/Campy Mirage/Veloce, purchased new in '96. A delightful ride - steel is real. Liked it so much I found a used 46cm '99 / 650c and built it up as a fixie. Nice lugs, great handling. Fast, but not whippy. Completely as advertised.

Similar Products Used: Rivendell All-Rounder; Bridgestone XO-1
Andrew Hinerfeld   Recreational Rider [May 02, 2009]
Strength:

comfort, smooth shifting, acceleration, great for aggressive rec rides, touring, centuries and commuting!

I switched out the stock seat and might eventually upgrade for lighter wheels, cranks and pedals, but not in any hurry.

I love my Eros (my "Italian lover")! It is very comfortable for me without sacrificing performance for the riding I do (50k rides with some hills). I love the steel frame and carcon forks and the classic design.

GB   Recreational Rider [Aug 19, 2007]
Strength:

Steel frame, carbon fork, solid campy components, Mavic Aksium Race wheels, clean shifting, triple crank set (very kind on the long hills).

Very uncomfortable stock seat from Bianchi - switched to a Specialized Avatar gel saddle.

I bought the bike for recreation, club rides, and centuries. I have been able to ride it in the Smoky Mountains and along the New England coast. It feels quick and responsive to whatever I put into it, the steel frame is also very comfortable. Has been admired on club rides for the classic design and good components. I can tell this is a bike that I will be able to grow into and enjoy for a long time, even as I become a stronger rider. Feels smooth on the road. People who ride aluminum and carbon will say it is heavy, but compared to the steel frame I was riding 15 years ago, this bike is light!

Mel Turner   Recreational Rider [May 31, 2007]
Strength:

frame, climbing ability, cruising, drive train, comfortable on unkind roads

For the price I paid, there are not weaknesses.

When I went looking for a bike, I wanted quality and reliability with a price range between $700 and $1000. The Bianchi Eros was the best deal for the money. I test road a Specialized Allez Sport Triple, Schwinn, Fuji, Trek and the Eros. For my purpose (hill climb and cruising), the Eros beat them all hands down. The Eros climbed better, a lot less jarring over rough roads, more comfortable and a better fit. Further, the Eros shifts better and comes equipped with better wheels. Obviously, there are better bikes on the market with higher end components and higher prices, but if you're not a road racer and just want to get a good work out and not be beat up by your bike, then the Eros is the way to go.

Similar Products Used: gmc denali 7005, trek 1000, specialized allez sport triple, schwinn and fuji
xyian   Commuter [Aug 28, 2005]
Strength:

Climbing ability, shifters, fit, feel, comfort.

Wheelset.

This bike was given the green light by me because of how peppy it was. I test rode other bikes in the price point and the Trek seemed peppy but too stiff and the Specialized seemed, well, blah. This bike loves to climb and it loves to be accelerated. This was my first real road bike so I thought it was light but I guess everybody else complains about it being heavy. I thought it was easy to move and the shifters worked just great.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Varsity Sport(ha ha!)
hallcd7   Recreational Rider [Jan 28, 2004]
Strength:

Comfortable ride.

none so far, other than weight.

Nice touring ride. Fits me very well. After only riding aluminum, I now have a great appreciation for a good steel frame. The Campy group is good quality too. It is heavy comared to my Fuji Team, and not nearly as fast, but I got it for distance rides, not speed.

Similar Products Used: Fuji Team Fuji Finest AL Jamis Comet KHS Flight 500
jkent59   Recreational Rider [Oct 26, 2003]
Strength:

Sweet steel ride with a carbon fork to smooth it out even more. Campy stuff works well even under the stress of uphill shifts.

Mirage shifters aren't the best in the world but work well enough until I can upgrade. Saddle didn't stay on very long but I've never kept a stock saddle on any of my bikes.

Great ride for the money. Campy parts work well but plan on upgrading a few over the winter. Best buy I found for the money. The frame is a real keeper, plan on keeping it around for a long time. Not the lightest bike out there but it climbs very well in addition to being great for long rides. A super combination for anyone who rides in a hilly area like we do. Have never been a fan of dual sided pedals on a road bike but I might change my mind, the stock pedals are a very pleasant suprise.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Allez and various mountain bikes.
soundwatts   Recreational Rider [Jul 13, 2003]
Strength:

Value for money. Nice frame for 2003 carbon fork threadless headset Nice Mavic wheels

If I had to pick one it has to be the weight approx. 22 1/2 pounds (about what you expect at this price point so not really a weakness.

Love at first ride. I had the 2002 model and there is a big diference btwn the two. The carbon fork is stiffer the frame is better too(new design). Also the wheels and headset are upgraded over the 02 model. The bike is responsive and comfortable yet it climbs well with little flex (must be the carbon fork). The best value for the money hands down. The Campy shifters work well and ride smooth.