Bianchi Giro 2003 Road Bike

Bianchi Giro 2003 Road Bike

[Sep 08, 2004]
fornaca68

Strength:

It's remarkably light, and the value derived from the bike is its component parts: Easton aluminum frame; Mavic wheels; Bianchi carbon seat-post; Italia Sella seat (comfortable!); Shimano 105; carbon fork.

The pedals included by the manufacturer are low-grade MTB-type pedals. Dump 'em and upgrade at the bike shop.

Making bikes for over 100 years, Bianchi knows a thing or two of crafting a solid machine. The Giro is a reasonable alternative to the Trek 2100. It provides a smooth, gliding ride that makes you want to (and helps you) go fast.

Trek 2100

[Sep 05, 2004]
Dondeego

Strength:

Light, fast, and fun to ride. Smooth ride on the trails and on the back roads. Great bike for the price. Tested a few Treks and Cannondales in the 3000 and up range and felt that the Giro matched up to them quite well.

Switched to Speed Play X 2 pedals because my knees were hurting on the longer ride. Replaced the stock Selle seat with a Terry Fly. No real weaknesses on the bike. I'm the one with the gimpy knees and soft posterior.

I bought this bike to relieve my aching knees from running 4-5 days a week. I was told I needed to cross train more. I haven't put on running shoes since I bought my bike. I replaced the SPD pedals with Speed Play X2 and bought a Terry saddle. I love this bike. It fits my short legs and long torso. I had an ill fitting Trek mountain bike and would always get passed on the trail. I now do the "passing on the left".

First road bike

[Aug 13, 2004]
vuugti

Strength:

Comfort, all 105 Componets

Seat and pedals. Have the wheels setup by a professional.

I came from a Specialized Allez (full Al)to the Giro. The Giro rides like a limo next to a straight Al bike. The carbon adds a suspension like quality to the Easton tubing. Nice light bike. Handles well, climbs superb and accelerlates like a Ferrari. A very nice mid-level bike with unmatched quality of materials and componets. Being a relative newbie to the road circuit I can't make a complete evaluation of the bike, but for the 1000 or so miles I've logged on it, it has served me very well.

Specialized Allez

[Dec 25, 2003]
lg

Strength:

full 105 componenets have treated me well carbon seat stays and fork love the rims overall road feel price (this thing is serious deal)

the stock pedals (do not take them home) overwhelming amount of emblems

this bike is fun to ride. i finally made the switch to a road bike, and the giro makes me glad i did. It feels light and lively, without being twitchy. It is good on hills, manueverable, and just happens to look damn good (i got it in blue). bumps are smoothed out just enough, but the road feel is very good. this baby begs me to go as fast as i can.

no road bikes other than what i test rode

[Dec 02, 2003]
JT

Strength:

-Carbon fiber seat stays -weight (it is approx 19 lbs) -Shimano 105 group it good enough for the price -the rims look AWESOME -ALUMINUM

-The Shimano 105 shifters stick.....the day i got the bike i went on a ride and after that ride a price of the complete interior of the shifter fell out and i had to take it back to the shop for them to put it back in....not to mentionthe whole time that the shifters stick a little (less however after they greases it and put the piece back in) (tyhis is why it only get 4 flames for overall) -brakes aren't too great

This is my first road bike after a lot of cross country. I looked around and demoed at leat 10 bikes. THe first thing that i learned is that i hate steel frames because they feel like they shake me around too much(contrary to what many people say). However, The main thing that got me to shift towards this bike was the carbon fiber seat stays. Once that got me on a demo ride i loved it....not only is it a lot lighter than any of it compitition but it takes the shock great. $1200 was the top of my budget so i am lucky i got the end of year sale...but if i had the money i would have paid full price for it. THIS IS A GREAT BIKE.

2004 Trek 1500 , 2003 trek 2000, cannondale r600, many lemonds, many steel biochi's, specialized Allez (the second best bike for this price range) and many more....

[Aug 23, 2003]
repoman

Strength:

Great frame, carbon rear stays, carbon fork, colors, value for money, frame geometry

I purchased this bike after much searching, test riding, homework. I have to say that this bike is an incredible value. I am very pleased with the bike. All Shimano 105, Alex ALX320 wheels, deda stem. I got the brilliant blue color (2003)on sale for $1100! I am 5'8" and I had a tough time finding a frame geometry that was comfortable, but as soon as I rode the bike I knew that with some adjustments this was the frame, ride, and componentry that would serve me well for many miles and hours in the saddle. I highly recommend this bike. The carbon stays and fork soak up bumps and the easton aluminum frame is stiff, efficient and light. I simply did not find a better bike for the money. Even at the normal price of $1500 I think it is a great value. This is my first road bike and I was nervous about making the wrong decision....I made the right one for sure. If you can find on '03 in the brilliant blue, it looks fantastic. It also came in a very classic silver for '03. It was between the Trek2200, CAnnondale 800 and the Scattante CFR carbon(I passed on the Scattante CFR because of the moral dilemma of buying a bike on-line). I test rode almost a dozen bikes and I could feel the quality in workmanship and design of the Bianchi. Maybe it's because I have short legs, but something about the Bianchi frame geometry fit me like a glove. Other manufacturers wanted more money with mixes of 105 and house brand stuff. 'Nuff said, this is an awesome bike....get one if you can.

Giant, Trek, Felt,

[Jul 16, 2003]
Vin

Strength:

Frame: light, stiff Easton Ultralight. Shimano 105 has been flawless, quick smooth shifts. For me, a light weight rider (139-145 lbs) the wheelset has been fine.

saddle seems a bit too soft, pedals are a bit tough a first but got easier with a bit of lube and use but I will probably upgrade the pedals next year.

This is the first road bike I have owned after almost 10 years of riding mountain bikes. I am very pleased with almost all aspects of this bike. Ride quality is great. I was nervous about getting an aluminum frame because of the things I have heard about Al, but this bike is no where near "harsh" during the ride. Rides like steel and accelerates like aluminum. I owe that to the carbon seat stays and front fork. These make it ride like a dream. This bike also handles well although I have not really tested it on sharp corners at fast speeds that much. But I would say that it handles well, not twitchy nor sluggish as far as I can tell.

[Jun 10, 2003]
J A S

Strength:

Bianchi quality. The carbon seat stays feel great and make the bike look fantastic, the Shimano 105 work under all conditions and the paint job and whole package just looks terrific.

The mountain bike pedals. I too had trouble clicking in, but a little dry chain lube seemed to do the trick. But definitely the first upgrade should be to some road pedals. I have changed to the new Shimano PD-R600 and like them very much. They are not only more comfortable to use, but a slight weight savings over the WTB pedals as well. Also, the Alex (A Class) ALX-320 wheels, gave me some problems staying true in the beginning. After some personal attention they have been fine. The bearings are very smooth, the set is light weight and are nice looking (not as nice looking as some Mavics out there, but still nice).

This bike is great! I have been around bikes (riding them and working in a shop) for many years and this bike does everything you would expect from it, at less money than many other bikes that are not as nice riding or looking. Bianchi quality workmanship and attention to detail is evident in the megapro downtube, the multi material use of Ultralite Easton tubes with a Carbon seat stay, seamless integral headset, light weight and beautiful paint job. The compliments I get on the looks alone of this bike make you feel like you made the right purchase and then when you ride it you just feel great. For those "true" roadies that can not use Shimano 105 let me just say that they work flawlessly, even while changing gears under pressure.

old Univega aluminum road bike, 1996 Trek Y-22 carbon full suspension mountain bike, 1989 Cannondale M700 rigid mountain bike

[Jun 05, 2003]
wolfen

Strength:

The frame, multi-material, and the price. I looked at a lot of carbon bikes mostly out of my price range. Even other multi material bikes are pricey. This frame is a great value, makes you feel like your serious about biking. The wheels, they look cool and are plenty stiff for my level of riding.

The pedals. I dont get it, I have the same pedals on my mountain bike and have no trouble getting in them. Different shoes, must be the shoes. Can't get into the pedals easily, considering Looks, any opinions, anybody?

i just upgraded from a Trek 1000, my first road bike. The Bianchi is very light, comfortable and cool looking. I found this bike to be very agile, it gave me a secure feeling when I demo'd it. It just becons you to go fast. I also found that it has helped me improve my hill climbing, a major consideration where I live. I love the aluminum/carbon frame, it just feels right. I bought a triple, I'm getting old and need the granny grear to get home after a 50 mile ride. I also bought it in blue, I get a lot of postive comments about the color and look of the bike. Another thing that impressed me, being a mechanical engineer, is the welding of this frame. It's fiinished like a molded carbon frame, no evidence that its even welded except around the bottom bracket. This level of finish spells quality. If your considering multi-material at least look at and demo this bike.

Trek 1000

[May 05, 2003]
Kimba

Strength:

Carbon stays look sexy, especially when acompanied with a carbon seatpost and carbon bars. Easton tubing at an affordable price, comparably priced to Trek's alpha SL house brand tubing. The paint is excellent and the dacals are clear coated over so the don't peel up over the years.

The wheels should be replaced if your one who likes to keep everything cutting edge, name brand, roadie material. If your somewhat euro the bike could use a little color, Nothing tires can't do. Pedals are standard SPD.

I have ridden a Lemond for about three years now and have always carried the notion that I would never be able to part with it. I am very critical when I consider getting a new bike and always remind myself that my Lemond rides better (I think it is just the inability to get past the common bond and emotional attachment that one makes with their bike after so long, the one your nonbiking girlfriend will never understand). I saw the Bianchi Giro and thought the price tag was going to be about 50% higher than it was.The excellent thing is that the bike rides like it is 50% more expensive. It is one of the nicest bikes I have ridden and should definitely be noted as the the best valued bike on the market. It is smooth, light, and definitely quite nice looking.

Lemond Buenos Aires frame with Dura ace parts mix, Time Millenium ST carbon fork Rolph vector comp wheelset, Cinelli Alter stem, Altera bars, Speedplay pedals