Bianchi San Lorenzo 2003 Road Bike

San Lorenzo

jon   Recreational Rider [Sep 02, 2007]
Strength:

stiff and lite...the celeste green with zipps looks great

first time i own an aluminum frame. built it up with dura ace 10 /pedals with zipp 404 with corsa cx tubulars. total weight is 15.8 lbs. frame is very stiff. flex free with dura ace cranks- rock solid during sprinting. every pedal stroke results in forward motion. climbing is also noticeably more efficient. comfort issues can and should be remedied with a well padded saddle and a nice carbon post..i use d sella san marco-us postal edition and specialized with zertz..

Similar Products Used: first alum
ccrider   Road Racer [Jul 06, 2004]
Strength:

quick, nimble, very fast, builds up light, cool paint scheme, good for short fast/intense rides

Stiff ride, not for rides over 40 miles, derailler cable bosses place cables too close to downtube (so when you go over bumps the cables rattle against the tube), not Reparto Corse made (might be made in japan? or *gasp* taiwan?). I bought it for cheap but its definitely not worth the MSRP.

I'm a steel-is-real guy and have always like italian lugged steel roadbikes. This San Lorenzo was the first non-steel frame I've ridden in since I was a teenager (my first real racing bike at 16 was a Cannondale). This year I started to think about trying something lighter and 'faster', so when I came across this frameset on closeout for $500 I decided to try it. First thing, this DOES NOT ride like steel. Yes, its light and handles quickly and tracks well with no surprises (its a Bianchi afterall) and it climbs very well too, but... its way too stiff! I feel every bump in the road. I feel really beatup after any 30+ mile ride. Going over rail road tracks isn't fun, so I can imagine riding this over cobbles would be a nightmare. It appears I've given up comfort for a lighter/faster rig. But is it faster over longer distances? I think not. If you aren't comfortable you can't be efficient and so you can't go longer. Its a cool looking rig and I've gotten lots of compliments, but I miss the feel of steel. I'll probably look for a Bianchi Boron XL or a Cervelo SuperProdigy to replace this San Lorenzo.

Similar Products Used: Bottechia, Giordana, Concorde, Surly, Bianchi
Joe Sconzo   Road Racer [Sep 14, 2003]
Strength:

Stiffness, responsiveness, climbing agility.

Roads here in SW Conn. are pretty beat up. The bike is very hard on the body on rough roads - not for a once-a-week club cruiser.

I was looking for a very stiff, responsive bike for the crits and road races I participate in here in CT. Crits are short and fast coruses and road races are very hilly. The San Lorenzo was recommended by the shop owner as an all-around well performing rad race and crit bike. I bought the 57 frame from him as well as the Deda magic stem and oversize bar. Completed the kit with Dura Ace and an FSA carbon crank set along with the new Topolino wheels. I can say this bike rocks! On the hills it is really light on ascents and very responsive on descents. During crits it performs very well, especially during a sprint. (The Topolinos are also awesome). For serious riders only.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale R900 Specialized S-Works
long_rider   Triathlete [Jun 15, 2003]
Strength:

Good value with component group. Good climbing bike

Bone jarring ride on any bump

Only demo-ed this bike for a somewhat long test ride, but felt I had to comment on previous review. Seems like a pretty good value with the Durace component group, and the construction is good, but this does NOT ride like steel. It is stiff, and you will feel every bump. I doubt if you are used to steel that you will like this ride. The "scandium" aluminum blend to me should be called "scamium". Really, you're getting the nice component group and a regular aluminum bike w/carbon fork ride.

smbrand1   Road Racer [May 04, 2003]
Strength:

Smooth, stable, stiff rear end and BB, light. General, overall goodness.

a little flexy in a sprint? made in Taiwan? the tripple crank set? i don't know...

I had the chance to demo this bike pretty extensively (thanks Bianchi Rep). I was really impressed. I'd never ridden Scandium before the demo and was really surprised at how smooth and lively it is. It's a lot like steel, which I'm told is the whole point. The bike smoothed out the road as well as my Trek carbon does and felt a little more lively. I was told that a lot of the "smoothing" was probably due the Vredestein Open Tubular tires that were mounted to the Ksyrium Elites. I'd like to think it was more the frame though. The bike felt really efficient and powerful (read: stiff) while climbing in the saddle. It decended smoothly and stabley. The bike looked like it would be a little twitchy due to it's semi-compact geometry but I was completely wrong. It seemed to guide itself on long descents and it cornered smoothly and predictably. The bike was more stable than my Trek Carbon which has a more traditional geometry. The only downfall I found was that while putting in a hard effort out of the saddle on a short steep climb, the frame seemed to felx a bit. My guess is that it probably flexes similarly when sprinting. But then, I'm not very good at sprinting so I don't care. Otherwise, it seemed really stiff and efficent. Scandium = good. And oh yeah, it's way light! just over 17lbs in a 57. And that's with a DA tripple, the Ksyrium elites and a really wierd heavy saddle. This bike could easily be less than 17lbs. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend the San Lorenzo to any rider who wants a DA racing bike at a good price.

Similar Products Used: Trek Carbon, uh... I guess that's it...
dscope14   Road Racer [May 03, 2003]
Strength:

Light, Strong, Comfortable, fast, looks great. Ï

Wheels could be a little lighter.

This is a very nice bike. I think in looks this is the best bike out there, and a great overall value also. I can't complain about the wheels and the Dura-ace group is sweet. All together it only weights 16.8 pounds. 0