Cannondale R1000 Sport 2003 Road Bike

R1000 Sport

Bruce Buckoski   Road Racer [Aug 24, 2004]
Strength:

Great at going down hills, the bike tracked well!

little to stiff for me. If I was younger it would be fine...I perfer the carbon fiber tail.

Whoa!Riding my new r1000 has been quite the experience! Coming from a all Mountain biking background,its hard to determine what your limitations are on the roads.I have found that this bike just keeps me wanting more! It is so effortless. The light weight frame make distances shorter and the slick geometry help cut the wind.The aluminium frame seems a little stiff, but the shock seat post makes up for that. Rad wheelset!

Similar Products Used: Trek 5200
zippy   Recreational Rider [Oct 12, 2003]
Strength:

Nice component group! Mine came with ultegra front and back.This may be a sort of disappointment to others with 105 front derailers.Shifting has been sweet and clean,despite a small cable stretch problem in the beginning.

For the long hauls, the posture is a little tight. Find I get small back pains after 50 or so miles.Wish they sized it differently than small,medium,large,x-large sizes.

Similar Products Used: jamis xlt 1.0
sondance   Recreational Rider [Aug 27, 2003]
Strength:

Great looks, rides nice, great shifting.

Stock seat - changed to Koobi. Pedals - Shimano.

Haven't ridden a road bike since back in the "10 Speed" glory days. Motorcyle Mountain bike convert. Always wanted to buy a Cannondale, and now I finally have one! Have had the bike a little over two weeks now and accumulated over 100 miles. Great bike for the beginning rider. Taken awhile to get used to the front derailleur performance, and am contemplating switching to Ultegra to match the other components, but this wouldn't keep me from purchasing one. No problems, other than a flat, to report. Easy to ride, fairly comfy, my back is still getting used to this road bike positioning even though its a bit tamer than a full on performance bike. Have been able to motor along fairly decent, the only thing holding back is my conditioning and pedal skills, which are improving with each ride. Though a bit pricey, I would highly recomend to someone looking to get in to road bikes.

Similar Products Used: Trek Fuel 90 - mtb. Demo'd Specialized Allez Elite (Love the Zebra, but not the compact frame), Other Cannondale models.
jdbarr   Recreational Rider [Nov 17, 2002]
Strength:

This bike is perfect for someone who wants a fast, serious road bike, yet is wiling to trade off a little performance for more comfort.

The Selle saddle was literally painful. I traded up to a Brooks B.17 ti Champion Special, and now am very comfortable!

As a relatively new biker, I normally ride about 30-40 miles a week, at a "C" level. In moving up from a comfort bike, I considered performance road bikes, flat bar road bikes and hybrids. After reading about the Cannondale R1000 Sport in Fitness Cycling magazine, I bought it and have been delighted.

Similar Products Used: N/A
Jon   Recreational Rider [Nov 15, 2002]
Strength:

1. Frame Design, it IS more comfortable with a slightly less aggressive position 2. Wheel set, they not only look good, they perform 3. Gatorskin tires. Put 'em on any bike you ride. Ultegra STI shifting. Smooth and fast.

1. Mixed Shimano Components. Sure 105 and Ultegra work together, but do the price savings justify the mix? 2. Everyone has opinions on saddles, but Cannondale should consider offering a saddle exchange. 3. Sizes. Cannondale needs to offer more sizes for this great frameset. I usually ride a 52 cm frame, but that throws me between a small and a medium for this bike. I went with the small, but I do wonder... 4. Finally, cost. Cannondale makes great bikes, but they aren't cheap.

Don't let the sport designation fool you, this is a light, fast bike that is a delight to ride. The 16 spoke wheels and the gatorskin tires are the strongest, least trouble prone setup I've ever ridden. I thought I would not like the suspension seatpost, but now that I am accustomed to it I don't know how I did without it on previous bikes. I do question the mixed Shimano drivetrain components, I suspect it would benefit from an all Ultegra setup, but I suppose this is done to keep the price down a bit. Mine also came with the Selle Royal Look In saddle, which has been a big disappointment. I switched it out for a Terry, and though I tried it again for two weeks I put the Terry back on. I've Had the bike since mid August, and have put almost 1000 miles on it in that time. I rode 17 miles yesterday afternoon, and as usual it was an exhilarating romp

Similar Products Used: TREK 1200 (Used to be my main bike) Bianchi San Remo Test rode a bunch of road bikes