Cannondale R2000 2003 Road Bike

Cannondale R2000 2003 Road Bike

[Apr 12, 2006]
Garibaldo

Strength:

Light and easy to ride. Absorbs most bumps around London - these are bumpy roads!!!

Is not as stiff as thought, but makes up for it in performance allround.

This bike is a gret deal!! Looking for a frame and came across this one on ebay. I have ridden many steel frames and a few alu with over size tubes. I am used to the shock some alu frames might give the old backside. But once i put it together with the mavics it deserves and shimano/campag/fsa component mix - i feel like i have a brand new bike. If you see one of these - then buy it. Not the lightest on the street but good quality and value ofr money. Almost a classic. Compared with Colnago, Pinarello and this gave me the best bng for my £ - mainly as Cannondale brande not known too well here a market is flooded with overpriced european frames that are simply not comparable.

Nothing comes close but have owned and ridden GTs

[Aug 21, 2005]
lakingfan

Strength:

The aluminum frame is very stiff so all of the power from your legs goes right to the road.

None.

The CAAD 7 is one of the best riding bikes made. The hour glass seat stays buffer much of the road chatter. The aero design of the tubes keep the bike running arrow straight even in strong cross winds.

Cannondale CAAD 3

[Nov 24, 2004]
csh00b

Strength:

Lightweight, smooth cornering, great wheels. Comfortable ride considering I ride daily (as long as it isn't lightning).

Original seat (fizz-whatever). Occasionally I'll get wobble in the front wheel when riding no-handed with the lights on the front (added weight of the lights (700g) and the aero bar (480g) cause this. W/O lights it doesn't wobble.

Great bike. I replaced a 1988 Cannondale road bike. Lightweight frame. Bike is about 17 pounds w/o pedals. Put Look A5.1 black pedals (looks great with the black paint job). Put my existing Terry Fly saddle on it and the Profile Design Carbon Stryke Aero Bar. To get the aero bars to fit the oversized handlebar, I turned them around so the hand positions are "together" right in front of the stem. I like it better in that position anyway. I replaced the 53 chain ring with a 52. I've put 6700 miles on it in 15 months. I tuned it up (new cables, lube, etc) after 1 year. It's still running great. Much smoother that the old 'dale. I use the Topeak Moonshine 3H (20W) headlight for night riding (actually have 2 of them on it with a Minoura swing grip). They are just 350 grams apiece with battery - 2 of them are lighter than a lot of other light systems. I am not into racing, but into quality road riding. This bike fills that qualification wonderfully. I would highly recommend it.

Old '88 'dale, tested Trek 5200, 'dale 1000.

[Aug 17, 2004]
rrx

Strength:

Great bargain for high quality components and frame, even at retail. The wheels alone cost $700+. Sweet ride, CAAD7 is easy to handle

Need to upgrade VO2 max and LT. It's not about the bike, ha ha. Oversized 31mm bars can make adding clip-on aerobars a problems.

This bike rides like a dream. May not be the stiffest ride around, but CAAD7 frameset is great for absorbing shocks. No more worrying about getting thrown from Cdale when riding over railroad crossings. Wheelset is bombproof and has been a terrific. Black/orange color scheme is cool.

Specialized S-works, Giant TCR1, Trek 2500

[Jan 31, 2004]
Justin Lindsay

Strength:

Excellent value Acceleration/climbing qualities only found with O/S aluminum No loose fillings at the end of the ride! Dur-ace rear derailleur a nice touch Mavic Kysrium SSC wheels! Killer paint job (orange and black) looks like it’s going 30mph when it’s standing still Where else can you find a 16lb-road machine for $2k?

Cheap-O in house seat post (but it’s worth the trade-off for the Kysrium’s) Rear brake was initially mushy – fixed with GORE cables Ultegra shifters not as silky smooth as Dur-ace and have a cheap feel to them Ultegra front derailleur cage has a cheap look and feel to it but it works fine

Over the years I have owned 15+ different steel, aluminum, and carbon road bikes and currently own several road and MTB bikes. I have always been a fan of oversized aluminum bikes due to their performance-oriented characteristics. However, I will be the first to admit that the ride is less than forgiving. Cannondale has changed this with their CAAD 7 frame. On the first ride I kept sprinting out of the saddle in order to remind myself I was on an aluminum machine. I also own a 2001 Saeco Team Replica. On the Team Bike I have to take weight off the saddle while going over railroad tracks, pavement cracks, etc. otherwise I am in danger of being launched off the saddle. The CAAD 7 soaks these up with ease. ( I am 5’11 and 180lbs). The Ultegra components work as well as my Dur-ace equipped bike and the Mavic Kysrium wheels are light and amazingly bombproof. Not sure how C’dale can make any money on this thing considering the wheels retail for $850.00 alone. Bottom line: Cannondale nailed it with this frame, this thing rocks!

’01 Cannondale Saeco Team Replica Numerous other steel and Carbon road bikes

[Oct 18, 2003]
Alexi Zawadzki

Strength:

Light!!! Great climber. Very responsive. Stiff frame. Predictable ride at high speeds - no wobble at 89 kph (fastest speed I've been on it). Excellent value.

Can be a harsh ride and a little unpredictable on rough roads (gravel patches, potholes etc.) because the frame is so stiff. Sometimes creaks - but has alsways been mitigated with some lube and tightening. Likely a result of the stiff frame that tends to loosen parts.

I have the 2002 R2000 model. Very light, strong, responsive and fast. Excellent climber. This is not a tour bike - designed for training and racing. Overall I am very satisfied with this bike for racing and training.

Old Cannondale tour bike.

[Sep 21, 2003]
riveragaryj

Strength:

Light, stiff and fun to ride

Cannondale only recommends the frame for one or two seasons for aggressive riders. Then what?? The frame falls apart??

What a great bike. It comes stock with full Ultegra (except for the Dura Ace rear derailure). I switched the seat to the Regal and the shifters to Dura Ace. Ksyriums are wonderfull. Fun bike.

Masi Gran Criterium

[Sep 04, 2003]
John Stroh

Strength:

beautiful, wicked fast, great handling, wheels are sweet. light (just under 17 pnds) lifetime warranty on frame defects.

seat post (don't like the lay back)

I'm a hardcore mountain biker (raven 2000 w/lefty), but i also enjoy road riding. I have been riding a steel derosa for the last 9 years, but recently sold it in order to buy the new r2000. This bike is scary fast. It is much stiffer than the de rosa, and also much more comfortable. The ksyrium sl scc wheels are incredible. the frame is a work of art.

columbus slx de rosa

[Aug 12, 2003]
ghumphrey

Strength:

Lightweight, great descender, great climber, components, and paint scheme (black gloss).

Saddle. I switched mine before they finished building the bike to a San Marco Era Arrowhead. The seatpost might also be a weakness due to the lay back. Although, it might be good to spin it around for a time trial? Time will tell.

This bike is wonderful. I have been a serious cyclist for over 16 years. I have been riding a stock Cannondale 3.0 since 1991. To upgrade to the R2000 quite a leap. My favorite thing about this bike is it's lightweight. I have the 63cm frame, and when I put it on a scale, it came in at just a bit over 17lbs. Having ridden a C'dale for so long, I trusted the workmanship of the manufacturer. I test rode a Trek 5200, but it didn't have the same crisp feel that I was used to on my Cannondale. This is a great bike not only for the money, but also for the serious recreational rider who wants a fast ride. And if you live in Southern NJ, go see the guys at Action Wheels. They do a great job!

Trek 5200 test ride. Cannondale 3.0 w/Ultegra & 105.

[Apr 25, 2003]

Strength:

Stiff, light, climbs well, sprints well, and decends with confidence. Very quick handling. Good ride quality. Snazy paint job.

No pump peg! Im using a velcro strap but it broke on a ride, how inconvient. I want that cool machined aluminum rear derailure hanger I saw on the Saeco team bikes.

This is a replacement from a CAAD 5 frame that I bought last year, I loved that bike but had a problem with a rear drop out. I am 180 lbs and tend to really flex bikes and the caad 7 as well as the 5 are utterly resistant to any pedaling induced flex in the bottom bracket area. I think the top tube on the caad 7 is a bit thinner than the caad 5 (little more lateral flex). I also think the caad 7 has a bit more supple ride than the caad 5. My older bike a 61 cm lemond zurich, was a wet noodle. The caad 7 decends really well, very solid, corners very well no steering input needed just lean and pray. Climbs well too, stiff and light. I like the orange on black paint job. The frame has an amizingly good ride, better than my zurich, not quite trek oclv ride but you do feel the road a bit better. I thought this aluminum would beat me up but on the bumps just sit back and it takes it. My bike built up to 18.5 lbs with pedals and mavic cosmos wheels. I could get down below 18 with a nice set of wheels. The stock off the floor R2000 is a great value with the mavic kyseriums. Also look at the R1000, a bit lower on components but still very competent performer for 300-400 less.

CAAD 5, Lemond Zurich, Trek 5200