EPX 303 - Dura-Ace 2003 Road Bike

EPX 303 - Dura-Ace 2003 Road Bike

[Nov 27, 2012]
Ungava

Strength:

I purchased this bike 12 years ago and have 40,000KM on it. It has been a total pleasure. Quick, light and smooth Dura-Ace gears. I know it's Australian and they were in Canada only a couple years. I remember being told the frame was made my Look but I can't confirm anything. It's just a great bike and was worth every penny.

Could have come with carbon handlebars

Just a great bike

[Jul 12, 2011]
George Small

Strength:

Strengths: Strong, lightweight bike (17.5 lbs). Yellow is a great looking color. It looks especially good in Vredestein tires with yellow sidewalls and black bottle cages.

EPX is no longer there to support the fine product any more.

I purchased my 303 in 2000 from now-defunct Supergo.com. It came with Shimano 105 throughout. It is the only carbon frame I have ever owned and am very pleased with it. I have recently discovered a frozen seat post issue and the pity is I cannot send it back to EPX for service as they are no longer in business. After a week of frustrating self-service, I am going to "bite the bullet" and let my local service guy perform the "seat post-ectomy". All in all, a very nice bike. If you are not afraid of "off branded" bikes, EPX is a good choice, especially if you have carbon bike tastes and department store bike budget. I made the plunge and 11 years later the bike is still pretty much like new.

[May 18, 2004]
johnny99

Strength:

Lightweight and fast. Very smooth ride. Clearcoat carbon weave finish is beautiful.

Slightly more flexy than my old welded aluminum frame.

I bought a EPX303SL frame off of EBay for $700 (including full carbon fork). This is a 2.5 pound version of the EPX303 frame (half pound lighter). This is a real sweet frame, every bit the equal of the Trek OCLV that I test rode (my 2nd choice), but at a much lower price.

Trek 5200, Giant Composite, Kestrel Talon

[Jan 29, 2004]
Bill of SantaCruz

Strength:

Ride Quality is very smooth. Very reasonable price for Carbon. Same frame as the Supergo Scattante Carbon which is an editor's choice bicycle.

The clear coat over the carbon fork and seat stays are developing bubbles. Don't know if this will affect the integrity of the frame.

This is an excellent bike. I found this EPX bike on eBay used for a great price. The seller was sponsored and let it go for a steal. The fit is very good. The ride quality is even better than my LOOK KG461. The Shimano Dura Ace is a legendary product and doesn't let down on its reputation as a solid all around component group. Great shifting, braking, and very light weight. The frame handles very nicely on descents--so far up to 36 mph (don't believe those reviewers claiming 50mph+, you're F.O.S.). The bottom bracket does not flex under out-of-saddle climbing. Wish I found this deal before my LOOK.

LOOK KG461, Cannondale CAAD3,

[Sep 01, 2003]
DavidBOD

Strength:

Build quality, Paint job, Replaceable rear dropouts, Excellent light carbon fork and stiff (I weigh about 210).

None with the Frame or Fork. Being new it took a while to get it, and EPX still don't have any information on their main website.

My previous ride is a steel is real 85' Trek 770 with Campy SuperRecord. I was lusting after a new Trek 5500 and then 5900 when a friend of mine bought an EPX 303. After checking his out I decided to go for an EPX 303 and was looking for one of the incredibly discounted deals on the internet when I came across EPX's new 303 SL on the interbike pages. http://www.mtbr.com/tradeshow/interbike2002/epxmtn/ This is the exact same frame as the EPX 303 but uses lighter carbon in the same way Trek has gone from 5500 to 5900. Weight wise it falls between a 5500 and 5900 but closer to the 5900. The fork is carbon legs and steerer with an aluminum crown. I paid full price and I think quality and performance wise it is the best carbon frame/fork you can buy for the money. As for the ride, on the first 60+ mile charity ride we turned onto a road that had been stripped ready for new asphalte to be put down (very rough). I was able to comfortably hold a 20+ mph pace where on my steel bike there is no way I could have held that pace without being bounced off.

This is my first carbon frame and fork.

[Jun 03, 2003]
Jerry

Strength:

Finish, comfort, weight

It isn't flexy but it has a dead feel on acceleration, especially when climbing.

Good Value for the money but just missing something.

Look KG96, Basso Gap, American Flyer Ti, McMahon Ti, Litespeed Ti.

[Apr 06, 2003]
andrewbaker77

Strength:

see reviews below

see reviews below

A quick PS to my other posts. Built, it weighs in at a scant 17.5 lbs.

[Apr 02, 2003]
hotman8

Strength:

Smooth, Stiff, just a nice frame

None to mention

This is a smooth and great handling frame. The craftmanship is very good. Carbon makes for a great ride and EPX has made a great frame. Not really why people would pay so much more for others over twice as much. I guess when they can get over the "look what I have" attitude they will save the money for a vacation or family.

[Mar 25, 2003]
andrewbaker77

Strength:

See previous review.

Nada.

An update from my review below. I sold my Kestrel. To be honest, the EPX kind of makes the Kestrel seem like a waste of money. For about 1/4 the dollars, I am on a frame that climbs at least as fast as the Kestrel, tt's very very fast, corners with great confidence, is definitely as comfortable as the Kestrel, and is so much less that I could afford a new set of VeloMax Orion wheels, which are seriously amazing wheels.

See previous review.

[Feb 10, 2003]
chriss4242

Strength:

Light and fast.

none.

I have a MTB background, but have been doing mostly road riding of late. I was originaly looking at getting a Litespeed, but decided to take a chance on this frame. The ride is magic, and being carbon, so is the comfort level.