Fuji Bicycles Ace 2003 Road Bike

Ace

john magera   Recreational Rider [Mar 26, 2011]
Strength:

Solid design and componenets

No carbon fork, but hey, we rode without those for centuries anyway...

Just picked up a good clean used FUJI Ace road bike, circa 2003, and man am I impressed with this bike. Not expensive, but delivers a great ride for cheap! It's just what I was looking for - an inexpensive road bike with decent components and a good ride. Something I can enjoy putting 30-40 miles a week on and still have money in my pocket.

Similar Products Used: Trek 610 (back in the day)
foo   Commuter [Apr 28, 2004]
Strength:

Inexpensive price for some pretty good features. Even the tires are pretty cheap ($15ish) for up to 125psi! It would be nice if it was lighter, but I really didn't want to spend more than $500 on a bicycle for commuting the rough (although paved) bicycle trails to and from UCSB. I'm surprised that the bicycle hasn't taken heavy damage from those huge potholes I've run into and over several times. I suspect it endures because it's steel but that's just speculation. This is better than I expected for something cheaper than all other entry-level bikes, but just as expected for what I paid.

Not as light as it could be, but I got what I paid for. I'm completely satisfied with this bicycle. The crank made some creaking noises when I first got it, but I found that the bike shop didn't tighten the crank enough. Once tightened, the noise vanished. Also mentioned by someone else, downshifting is a little harsh if you don't lower your torque.

I had an old, rusted, very heavy mountain bike since 2000, and was shopping for a replacement. I opened my eyes to the world of road bicycling, and thought to buy the most inexpensive new bicycle I could find. Turns out the cheapest one by far (in this area) was the 2003 Fuji League for $285, but I didn't like the down-tube shifting. I opted instead for the slightly more expensive, slightly lighter, slightly better 2003 Fuji Ace. Before I bought it, I went around to 7 or 8 other bicycle shops and tried their cheapest road bike (always $500 or more). I couldn't tell the difference between the Trek, Giant, or Specialized ones. Therefore, I bought this Fuji. It is a perfect match for me, exactly what I was looking for: an inexpensive road bike to commute to and from school, and use as an alternative to driving. I've had it since March 9, 2004, and I've almost put 400 miles on it. I've hit some SERIOUS potholes too, but nothing seems to have been damaged. Because this bike is exactly what I was looking for, it was a perfect solution and receives my high rating. (If I had more money and wanted a better bike but settled for less, then the rating would reflect that circumstance.) Since hardly anyone uses a new road bicycle to go around town and leave locked up, I realized that mine particularly stands out even though it is entry-level and inexpensive. I therefore bought an expensive lock (that weighs over 6lbs), and that really increases my ride weight as well. =T

Similar Products Used: None yet. I test rode other "entry-level" bikes without any prior experience and couldn't tell any difference.
soccergoalie6937   Road Racer [Sep 27, 2003]
Strength:

The gear ratio is very good! A very comfy ride and spacious. Everything is awesome on this bike.

None as of yet

This bike is amazing for me as just getting started. The bike just flys. This bike has more room than the trek and is a better ride. I would recommend this bike to anyone one who needs a bike.

Similar Products Used: Cannodale(fathers bike a freebie)
  Recreational Rider [Aug 28, 2003]
Strength:

PRICE!

Considering the price? None. Not considering the price? Hell, all bikes could be better.

I like my Ace quite a bit. I would have preferred the Finest, but I require a 64CM bike, and the Finest only went to 62. I do love the Ace, even though it does look funny in such a large size. The stock tires suck, wheels are heavy, and the stock seat hurts "in between spot", and the Sora drivetrain would rather you backed off the torque a bit during downshifts, but otheriwse it's a great bike!