Giant OCR 2 2003 Road Bike

OCR 2

NABE   Triathlete [Sep 08, 2011]
Strength:

Climbing hills.

Seat blows.

I purchased this bike as an in between bike as I decide to buy another one and I LOVE this bike!! Easy doing hills, easy to service, saddle is a bit hard but can be easily solve. Gears change nicely and without concern.

oAoP   Road Racer [Aug 13, 2008]
Strength:

Value
Climbing
Weight
Handling

Brake Pads
Squeaky Headset or seat (if they get at all loose)

Excellent starter bike. The frame is light compared to most cheap road bikes, and the carbon fork helps smooth the ride (a bit!). The gear ratios provide ample range for steep grades either up or downhill. The handling is great, even at high speeds. The Compact Road design makes this bike easier to fit in a car's trunk or van.

One weakness is in the brake pads--they tend to bite the rim if they get dirty at all, and start taking metal out of it. Getting them replaced is cheap, and there isn't much trouble after.

This bike is more conducive to an upright, non-racing body position---a tight tuck can be fatiguing. That said, I've raced this bike and passed and challenged racers with bikes over twice the price of mine, and it wasn't just me. It's great for long rides; I've done 5+ hour rides on this with only a few breaks. Overall: excellent value.

Similar Products Used: 2000 Lemond Tet de Course
derricks   Recreational Rider [Jul 19, 2008]
Strength:

Fast, light, good price, best components for the price on a bike.

Brakes, when taking off a tire, you have to deflate it, to pass the brakes.

The day after I got this bike I rode 100km. It was a vast improvement over my old bike. Climbs hills nicely.

Similar Products Used: ----
Kevin Ferguson   Commuter [Jun 20, 2008]
Strength:

Rack compatible, fast and smooth shifting.

Not fender compatible and tires are poor. I have had many flats until I put the armadillo's on.

I started commuting to work and needed a road bike rather than my hybrid. I commute 20 miles one way and bought an OCR2. It is a fast bike with great shifting. I run in the hihest gears because I have to get to work - 50 minutes! It is fun passing the "dressed up" cyclists. I wear a bathing suit, reflective vest and old tennis shoes.

Similar Products Used: CAAD 9, Synapse 3
BikeLV702   Recreational Rider [Apr 18, 2008]
Strength:

Great bike to start with.

It is a beginner bike and the saddle sucks among other stock parts. With a little upgrading the bike should be perfect.

Absolutely love this bike. I was between the LeMond Estage and the Trek but finally settled with the OCR2. This bike is dream on wheels for a beginner. It is a touch hevy and the saddle blows balls but that is easily fixed.

I have only had the bike for a couple rides but so far no problems to speak of. Real smooth ride and easy to use. Sounds stupid that a bike is easy to use but for beginner it makes a difference.

I highly recommend this bike to all beginners.

Similar Products Used: Never really had a road bike, just mountain.
Chris   Recreational Rider [Mar 01, 2008]
Strength:

Great bike for the price! Even though its considered a "entry level" road bike we spend most our time passing the "die hard" racing bikes.

the seat was very uncomfortable on rides over 1 1/2 hours.

My wife and I were looking to make the switch into road bikes and wanted to buy two so we bought two OCR2s.
During riding season (we live in Michigan) we ride 100 +/- a week. These bikes have been great for us! The only thing we changed out so far is the seats. Next we'll put new tires on them (thinner racing tires).

Similar Products Used: Jamis Satellite, Schwinn Fastback, Diamond Back
oceanbeachtriathlete   Triathlete [Oct 20, 2006]
Strength:

Stiff bottom bracket. Relatively light. Good response, and great value.

The breaks are bad, but if you upgrade to some durace pads for $20, it will totally solve the problem. I also upgraded the tires to some Michelin race tires.

This is a great bike. Sprints and reacts quick! I have been racing on this bike for two years now, and I pass people on much more expensive rides all the time.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, Trek.
Squeaky Wheel   Recreational Rider [Aug 01, 2006]
Strength:

Great composition and geometry, excellent value, very good components, easy to upgrade, looks good and is made very well.

Brakes are kind of squishy, just upgrade to some good Shimano pads.

What a great bike! This bike has great balance, speed, rigidity but flexibility and excellent responsivness. Very good components for the money and what a deal it was. You will not find a better bike for the money, I tried. I looked for 6 months before I bought and nothing comes close.

tuco357   Commuter [Jul 21, 2006]
Strength:

Extremely efficient - it feels like 99% of my efforts turn directly into speed. On prior bikes, I had to pedal HARD to go this fast!!!

Breaks are weak.

My first road bike. I love it! This bike is my first and only prized possession.

tony_c2005   Recreational Rider [Nov 23, 2005]
Strength:

Price, decent drivetrain components

adjustable stem: creaks with the slightest torque applied, brakes pads: for some reason they just feel awful, saddle: allows very little circulation, tires: offer no puncture resistance

Its a great BEGINNER bike. Because if you end up not liking road biking you'll be happy to know you didnt break the bank buying this bike.