Giant OCR Touring 2003 Road Bike

Giant OCR Touring 2003 Road Bike

[Mar 12, 2004]
adwade

Strength:

Low maintenance requirements (have oiled the chain and that's about it) would have to top the list. The 105 Shifters work flawlessly and I love the Disc-Brakes, which are simple/fast/easy to adjust if ever need be. I also like the flexibility of the stock stem, since it can be raised/lowered so far and provide a good degree of (back) comfort. This bike is a few inches longer (than a typical OCR) and I like the added stability it offers over shorter roadbikes.(i.e. not 'twichy' at all) Oh yeah, and I 'like' the extra spoke-holder!(on a touring bike, especially)

Luggage racks won't fit this bike, not even Giant's own! No great problem, after some research & talking with GIANT I was referred to Old Man Mountian in CA for such.

I have owned the Giant OCR Tour bike for over a year now and am well pleased with it. I can say I have had ZERO problems with it (never been back in the shop since purchase), and to date it's served me very well. Weighing 170# now, typically I ride maybe 1,000mi year just to stay in good physical condition. Most of my riding has been on paved (but rough) backroads and the bike's been a dream to ride (comfortable, reliable & efficient) without so much as a flat ever occurring to date. It's not the lightest or fastest, but then neither am I. I just wanted a good/dependable bike I could throw a leg over and pedal without any problems/concerns and that's exactly what I've found in the GIANT OCR Touring model.

Started on a Huffy, next a Softride Hybrid, now a Giant.

[Aug 21, 2003]
cterewecm

Strength:

Great price for the quality items. The 105s are great and I feel like the bike is solid enough for my riding to work and hitting some frequest bad surfaces.

I don't care for the spoke holder. (some day I may like it...)

This is my first quality (>Walmart) road bike and I love it! Have put in several hundred miles a month and it has done great. The only problem was with the brakes, but that was quickly fixed at the local bike shop.

tested some trek and giant road bikes

[Jul 30, 2003]

Strength:

When working, the disc brakes, solid alluminum frame, tough, solid wheels, holds weight well, shimano 105's were great, shifters not levers, therefore good

weak stock discs, uncomfortable seat, internal wiring hard to repair, spoke holder is just an embarassing addition

I got the bike last november and since then it has proven to be a great ride when not broken. This bike has a lot of sometimes useful yet often frustrating extra gadgets, but its a solid bike underneath all the bells and whistles. Im a heavy rider (200 lbs) and have jsut ridden 1100 miles across Alaska (Anchorage to Juneau) fully loaded. The very fact the bike survived this ride is a testament to its strength. Overall, a solid bike with some obnoxious quirks it would be better without.

tested trek 520, cannondale t800, bianchi volpe

[Jul 29, 2003]
Slow Climber

Strength:

The bike was easy to adjust to my riding style. I was not sure I would like the drop bars but once I found a stem with a shorter arm and a higher adjustment angle I was able to find just the right riding position. In spite of the road gearing it climbs better than my MTB. I did replace the 12 – 25 cassette with a 12 – 27 to help me on the hills I very much like the stopping power of the Avid Mechanical Disk Brakes. They were the feature that convinced me to buy the bike. I tested a Cannondale T800 and the brakes on it scared me. The disks are easy to modulate as give equivalent performance to my MTB brakes. You do need to learn how to adjust them. If the rotors are not true the can be noisy. I “dial in” the brakes as part of my regular maintenance routine. It keeps them quiet and working well.

Giant needs to re-think a couple of things. The standard road gearing is not well suited to loaded touring. If they are going to go with a 30/42/52 on the front there needs to be something larger than a 25 on the back. In fact a MTB cassette and derailleur would be useful. The wheels are weak. My original spokes were brittle. When they broke they did so at the nipples. A touring bike with disk brakes needs more than 32 spokes on the wheels. The failure of the 105 shifters was a big surprise. Based on discussion with several bike shop owners this is a rare occurrence

Purchase pricw was $1400 CDN approx $950 US. Taxes extra The bike is a great ride when it isn’t in the shop being repaired. I have ridden almost 2000 KM so far this year. Unfortunately only about 60% of it was on the OCR Touring. The remainder was on my old bike because the Giant was in the shop. To date I have had both shifters and the free hub fail. I suffered with a very anoying clicking noise from the bottom bracket that was finally fixed when I stopped at a bike shop on Martha's Vineyard while on a tour when my second shifter failed. I have had several spokes break requiring the rear wheel to be rebuilt with DT Champion spokes. At the time of writing the wheel is in the shop being tied and soldered to try to prevent further spoke breakage. I do not treat the bike badly. I am 56 years old so I am not jumping curbs or anything. I ride to work and go on supported tours with my wife. In fairness I am a heavy rider but that is why I purchased a touring bike. If it is designed to allow for fully loaded touring I should be able to ride the bike to work and on tours without a load. I fact I was assured the bike would be strong enough for me when I bought it. I have ridden a MTB for the past 3 years with a far fewer problems. I should say that Gears has been very good about warranty repairs but they are a 2 hour drive from my home so I have paid for a lot of the repairs myself.

[Jul 01, 2003]
WideSplit

Strength:

Disk Break are strong.. very strong. Riding position is perfect. Perfect bike for urban races in thight, crowded streets. Superb design

Wheels are not as solid as they look. brakes are noisy. Shimano 105 seems to be fragile. Maybe I'm too fat for this bike

A bought this bike about a month ago and overall, I love it! It's well suited for the city, I can ride fast and not worry about bad road. The riding position is very comfy and boy... does that bike look great? I got my share of bad luck with that bike though. My Shimano 105 broke the 2nd day I got it. The lower wheel just split open, bad tuning I guest. I slightly twist my rear wheel in the 1st week. I didn't jump sidewalk or cliffs but I wasn't as carefull as with my other roadbikes (those are DEORE Montain bike inspired wheels). My rear disk brake is also quite noisy. The bad sound of twisted car disk brakes. I had them checked but they're all right, must be a normal sound... Cross my finger that these problems will stop after the "roding" period

[Apr 18, 2003]
daviddavieboy

Strength:

light weight, great looking, very comfortable, good components.

paint not perfect, some decals not applied very well, brakes very soft, disappointed about the seat.

I am very pleased with how well this bike performs, the comfort level, and stylish good looks. I have had mtn. bikes sence the early 80's and could no thave made a better choice. It has the weight capacity of a mtn. bike, unload the bags and you have a very fast road bike. Best of both worlds. On the down side there is a little dirt under the paint and small imperfections. A couple of the decals have creases and are lifting on the edge. The Avid brakes are very soft. Even when set up all the way you can still pull them to the bar, although they do stop nicly. The only other thing is that It would be nice to have the seat in the picture on the giant site. It has a ugly black one. I am really bieng too picky but This is a lot of money for myself to spend on one item.

80's had Mcleod road bike, had 91' Cannondale EST ever since

[Apr 16, 2003]
Steve -

Strength:

Geometry tube sixe and wheels makes it a confortable bike for those who do not like mountain or hybride but do not want the fragile road bike either

The first batch of Giant bike do have problems with pad. You need to call dealer for them to have the pads changed for new ones

Really good, comfortable bike and a perfect bike for commuting in the city or going for day ride on weekend. Just love it. One review mention poor break, I have to say, you need to spend 5 minutes to understand how to well adjust them. They are just perfect and very efficient.

[Apr 13, 2003]
dave mitchell

Strength:

Nice paint scheme, good components, comfortable ride, sure gets looks from other road riders.

the disk brake SUCKS. feels very weak ont the lever. I think it is just the caliper. The paint and decal quality is not great either, some dirt and nicks under the paint. It has a cheap seat, I was disappointed that it came with a xo seat instead of the one in the picture on the giant site.

Just got the bike and seems quite nice. This is the first road bike I have had sience the 80's and am very pleased. It is very smooth shifts well. It sure is faster than my mtn bike.

tried a oryx own a cannondale mtn bike. these do not compare.

[Mar 18, 2003]
Peter E

Strength:

Good value. Well thought out spec and design. Comfy. Carries (unbalanced) weight very well.

A touch heavy. Disc brakes can be fidgety. Putting a rack AND fenders on is a challenging task requiring patience and lots of hardware. Once finished tho, it is a well-balanced, bomber set-up.

Needed a touring bike, commuting bike, and a rain bike. Already have a TCR1, so after searching for something that meets my needs in Vancouver, all I found was this. Love the bike...full stop. Disc brakes are strong, relaxed geometry is nice, Giant value makes me happy. This is no masterpiece of engineering but truly a great SUB (Sport Utility Bike). Try it!

Tried to track down a Secialized Sequoia Expert, but there was no dealer in Vancouver or Victoria carrying them. I guess it is because we are such small town of just over 1 million?!?!