LeMond Bicycles Alpe D'Huez 2003 Road Bike

Alpe D'Huez

john kirkwood   Commuter [Jan 28, 2004]
Strength:

absolutely everything apart from the standard saddle

that saddle, it's a butt buster,,,,

bought this bike about a year ago to replace my ageing olmo giro and was immediately impressed with the geometry and ride quality.i commute about 60 mls a day over varied terrain and this steed simply melts the miles away.the roads here in scotland can be quite rough in places and the lemond handles them extremely well, the bontrager carbon forks are grrrrreat at cushioning the vibration on the rough stretches of road.the sleek shifting and gearing of the 105 groupset make hills an absolute pleasure. mark my words , this is not a re-labeled trek bike as many people think , this is a far superior bike quite simply, this bike is OUTSTANDING value for money. ( and i was not paid to write this review LOL) if your looking for a quality bike at an affordable price then you cannot surpass the lemond

Craig Middleton   Recreational Rider [Dec 19, 2003]
Strength:

Superb all rounder for sprints & climbs

Stiffness of frame not ideal for long rides of 120+ miles.This is the only 1 I could think of,I do 4-5hr rides every Sunday on this bike no problem. All Im saying is compared to carbon it doesnt compare on really long rides

Unlike the 2003 U.S.A version a 2003 U.K Alpe D Huez frame is made from 6061 Aluminium not Reynolds 853.This has obvious weight advantages & a better look with the thicker tubes.The ride is excellent & smooth with the carbon fork but the real plus is the stiffness & the response for sudden acceleration.Its lightweight which makes it great on the climbs.I added Dura Ace 9 speed components,Ksyrium SLs,lightweight saddle & carbon seatpost which all combined to lose weight to make a great all round bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1000,Giant TCR
Kurt G   Recreational Rider [Dec 07, 2003]
Strength:

crisp handling, georgeous style, light weight

a few no name parts

after riding a aluminum trek 1000 with cro moly fork for 6 years,this steel frame carbon fork wonder is like riding on air. i could not believe the soft smooth ride i was getting from steel.

Similar Products Used: giant, klein , trek
rdolson   Recreational Rider [Sep 02, 2003]
Strength:

Nice steel frame. Good workmanship. Soft ride and relaxed geometry. Definately upgradable, but a good working package right out of the box.

Some of the componentry is... well like the calipers, whose are they anyway? But nothing you cant deal with by opening your checkbook up.

This bike replaced my trusty 22yo Bianchi Nuovo Racing. After over 20,000 miles, the stress cracks were starting to scare me! I wanted a bike that was steel, had geometry close to the Bianchi, and was upgradable. I read a review that called the Alpe the perfect "Old guy's" bike, and well, at 47, I'm not gettin any younger! I like the frame and fork, along with the relaxed geometry, nice smooth ride! And so many gears! After years of 12sp Campy friction shifting, the 27sp of the Alpe triple is a hoot. Not to mention having the shifters on the bars. I have a long torso and shorter legs, so the Lemond fit nicely, but I had to replace the 175mm cranks for 172.5 Ultegra's. Just couldnt get my legs comfy on the longer cranks. Also put Dura Ace calipers on to replace the no name cheapies that came on the bike. Put a San Marco Aspide Ti-railed saddle on. Love the soft feel of Ti rails. Then put a Mavic Cosmos wheelset on. Excellent wheelset for the money. Then finally, a set of Look pedals and things seem pretty sweet! I ride about 65 - 75 hilly miles a week and this bike just works for me. It reminds me so much of my beloved Bianchi. The ride, handling, and feel are right there. Had to get over the loss of tubulars, just couln't find modern quality hubs to take my 36 hole Campy Omega V's. Vittoria Corsa T.T.'s seem like their almost there in the ride and feel department. All-in-all, this is a great bike, especially if you plan on doing up-grades. The frame is worthy, so you won't feel you are trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Similar Products Used: Bianchi Nuovo Racing (snif, snif) Klein Pulse Team Issue Austro Daimler w/ Campy Record
mcgroup53   Road Racer [Jul 30, 2003]
Strength:

Smooth ride, great riding position, excellent value.

Poor shifting of 105 front deraileur on triple ring.

After getting beaten to death on fat-tubed aluminum frames, I went back to steel and will never go back. This 853 frame and carbon fork is SOOO sweet, and the relaxed, stage-race inspired LeMond geometry is so much better than today's stiff, upright criterium bike designs. Absolutely the best bike I've ever owned.