LeMond Bicycles Tourmalet 2003 Road Bike

Tourmalet

chess   Commuter [Mar 18, 2010]
Strength:

I liked the fact that the handlebars were wider than other bikes I tested and the handlebar stem placed the bars far forward enough that there is room for my knees when standing to pedal. I used this bike to complete 4 of the 5 double centuries I attempted.

After riding the bike for 6-1/2 years, and riding almost 15,000 miles, the aluminum steering tube snapped 3" from the top, right under the handlebar stem, leaving me holding onto the handlebars but having no steering control or upper body weight support. I'm still recovering from the crash. W_A_R_N_I_N_G: IF YOU RIDE AN OLDER BIKE WITH ALUMINUM COMPONENTS, CHECK THOSE PARTS PERIODICALLY FOR CRACKS B4 THEY CATASTROPHICALLY FAIL DURING A RIDE.

The 2003 Lemond Tourmalet was the best value I could find for the money in a bike that came close to fitting me. I am 6' 6" and 230 pounds. I bought the 61cm size of the Reynolds 853 steel frame, the largest they offered. It was still a bit too small, as I had to put the seat post up quite high to get proper leg extension.

m sigg   Recreational Rider [May 20, 2009]
Strength:

The ride

Frame - none at all

Love the frame, replaced everything, upgraded to full Ultegra. Paint faded, decals were cheesy so it was custom paint (British Green to Moondust fade) all decals removed and not replaced. Brooks seat, Brooks leather bar wrap, Phil Wood wheels. Expensive project and worth evey penny!

Similar Products Used: Raleigh, Cannondale, Trek, Giant
dfyancey   Recreational Rider [Jul 21, 2003]
Strength:

The ride of the steel frame and the slick paint job. The 105 derauler is a bonus.

The brakes and pedals. Maybe the saddle, but I haven't got it broken in yet.

This bike was the best I could find for the money. In the end it was between the Lemond and a Trek 1200. The ride of the Lemond was superb and could not be matched by the Trek. This bike is perfect for riders who are looking in the 1000 dollar price range. I researched or rode almost every bike in this price range and higher and this bike beat every one.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1200, KHS Flite 500, Cannondale R800 and R600, and Specialized Allez Elite.
cthulhu   Commuter [Jun 08, 2003]
Strength:

Excellent frame. Well-chosen components make it a good buy for economy-minded riders.

I hate the decals. They feel like I can peel them off. Just assume you're going to replace the pedals.

Very smooth and quiet ride. Rode it this weekend in Vermont and went sailing down a long hill. Didn't realize I was going in excess of 40 MPH until I looked at the computer. Comfortable on the long uphills. Love the STI shifters and brakes, a big upgrade for me. No noticable flex when cranking up hills.

Similar Products Used: Old bike was a 15-year-old $220 Nashbar road bike. The similarity ends there.
Jeff   Recreational Rider [Jun 04, 2003]
Strength:

Reynolds 853/525 frame and carbon fiber fork, which are an unbeatable value for the price. If you take care of paint chips, the frame will last a lifetime. Very comfortable geometry for me. Shimano 105 rear derailler is smooth and efficient. 1 1/8’’ Aheadset and 3TTT stem. Sexy looks; the bike just looks fast.

Not many at this price point. The durability of the paint is questionable. Seat is a little uncomfortable. If you want to loose some weight, replace the crankset and wheels first. Go for all 105 or Ultegra if you want to race. Some people may not like the shameless profusion of Lemond logos all over the bike.

This is THE bike to buy if you are looking for very smooth riding steel bike that can be upgraded to racing specs. The Reynolds double-butted 853/525 frame could be the best performing steel frame for the money. At this price point, most other manufacturers use double-butted Italian steel or Reynolds 520 steel, which are heavier and less stiff. I purchased this bike as a replacement for my 01 Cannondale H400 hybrid. I loved the Cannodale’s craftsmanship, but after riding on a Schwinn hybrid with a Reynolds 500 frame(yes, the cheap stuff)for several years, I just couldn’t tolerate the CAAD2’s harsh ride quality. I exhaustively researched almost every $1000 road bike on the market and test road bikes from several brands. I found a local bike dealer that had the Tourmalet on sale for $930 and my life hasn’t been the same since.

Similar Products Used: Specialize Allez Sport, Lemond Zurich, Trek 1200, Raleigh Grand Prix, I really wanted to try the Jamis Ventura.
Marco   Road Racer [Dec 06, 2002]
Strength:

853 tubing Paint Ride Carbon Fork 1 1/8 ahead set 105 rear derailluer bar and stem

Cheesy crankset,front derailleur, and brakes.

I bought this for the frame. Reynolds 853,Carbon fork, 1 1/8 ahead setup. I will probably ugrade most of the components to Ultegra. It rides like some $2,000+ bikes I've had. Once I sell my old bike I'll be into it about $1000.00. Pretty good for a Ultegra,853 bike. The other thing about Lemonds is they are USA made and they have great resale value.