Trek 2300 2003 Road Bike

Danny   Road Racer [Jun 17, 2017]
Strength:

-extremely durable, even after almost 15 years;
-shimano 105 setup, only had to replace the guiding wheels in the rear derailleur and the chain together with a new 9 speed cassette, changes gears fast an smooth;
-front gears need changing since the teeth are showing signs of wear and tear, are still performing well tough;
-strong frame and carbon fork, survived a side impact collision twice with a car and are still straight and going strong;
-fast bike, responses well to sudden force acting on the pedals if you want to speed up quickly;
-decals and stickers are still there after 14 years, no chipping at all
-very versatile road bike for the beginner and the more advanced user, and a great recreational bike for fun!

-saddle was a pain in the ass literally, was completely worn out and broken. changed it into a mission saddle and problem solved;
-furthermore none what so ever.

I live in Holland and a year ago, I was searching for a affordable road bike but was for a long time unsuccessful. That was until on a flea market in Holland I came across this road bike, which was up for sale at around 80 dollars (100 euro). Did not think twice and bought it, although I knew this needed a little TLC (money) to get it up to spec. It costed me around another 80 dollars or so in new tires and the drive system to be fully operational, and loved it ever since. I can keep up with other carbon road bikes a 100 times more expensive than mine even without click pedals and shoes, i have standard mountain bike pedals on it currently. Very light-weight for its age, gets you up to speed in no time at all.
And the amateur pro's hate it. they complain about it weighing 5 kilo's more than theirs and having a bell that weighs 10 grams an this and that....and all i have to say is, you just have to pedal harder which is a great work out anyways :)

Similar Products Used: Giant peloton 7200 steel road bike, several years ago, which in fact was more expensive than my current Trek one.
Al Balko   Road Racer [May 24, 2008]
Strength:

Stiff frame for performance, speed and climbing. Good looks too!

NONE

After riding a mountain bike and Hybrid bike for 3 yrs. the switch to the Trek 2300 brought a whole new and exciting change to riding. Great bike to get quick response and performance in a short, quick burst way. I love the bike!

Archie   Recreational Rider [Jun 12, 2007]
Strength:

Lively, light, excellent equipment.

Very poor quality decals and paint. Decals peeled on underside of top tube. Trek said it was my fault for putting the bike on a wall rack - but the rack is foam padded!! Paint chips very easily

I've enjoyed this bike from day one, especially as the price was so good. It is a joy to ride on short or long (century) distances.

Similar Products Used: Pinarello Galileo 105
epdcidra   Road Racer [Sep 15, 2005]
Strength:

Great capacity for upgrading. Can accept a wide range of "grupos" items from Campy to shimano. Ligthness and stiffness.

n/a

The best bike I've road in the last years I have been in the road. Great movements. Great capacity for upgrading. And the response to road changes is incredible. Probably the configuration I have can help to absorb better the pavement changes, but in overall is great. the price paid is only for the frame with headset and carbon fork. I assembled it with my parts at home.

Similar Products Used: none at this time.
Terex   Recreational Rider [Jan 03, 2005]
Strength:

Quality of build, with a combination of comfort and speed. No problems with seat - I'm a little over 6 feet and weigh 180 and not even a twinge after 50 mi. rides. The only ache I get is my neck - not used to road position. Generally feel quite comfortable in all handlebar positions on this 56 cm frame - I've got 32 in. inseam. Feels rock solid up to 47 mph (so far!)

Could use larger diameter handle bars. May add ergo padding first and see if I like the feel.

Back into road biking after brief 25 yr. lay-off. Bought last years' model 2300 this Sept. Been riding a Titus Racer-X mtn. bike, but went road to increase opportunities to ride. Test ride almost did me in... Fumbling with integrated levers and not clipped in, hit a small, deeep, pothole. Like the Weeble, I wobbled, but didn't fall down. Saved that for first group ride - doh! At first, the bike felt like I was riding a razor - in a bad way. And then, after a few rides, felt like riding a laser. Like many born-again roadies, there is no better feeling than powering through rolling countryside. After a little conditioning, the 2300 let me do just that.

Similar Products Used: Uhh...nothing really similar. Last road bike was an early 70's Motebecane Grand Jubilee with downtube shifters. Modern technology is good. Demo'd some compact frame bikes and don't like the "one size fits most" concept.
Allan   Road Racer [Aug 15, 2004]
Strength:

The frame is plenty stiff for bigger riders and the paint was well sprayed overall.

The frame decals were aligned/applied unevenly on the tubes when compared to the opposite side ones. The bottom bracket threads seem to be machined a bit sloppy as the cups fit a bit slack, and needed to be re-torqued about every 1000 miles. The headset tube machining taper showed wear as high and low spots, causing the bearings to constantly need adjustment as they wore down the high areas.The rear triangle geometry is very long and this causes squirmy hill acceleration and sluggish climbing.These factors coupled with the overall frame geometry made for sluggish slow handling.

I bought this Trek 2300 frameset to build a training bike that would be an extra ride.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale and Orbea aluminum framesets.
fenwick_junior   Road Racer [Apr 01, 2004]
Strength:

climbing, sprinting, and accelerating. All around great bike

none really, maybe the seat as it takes forever to break in and still isn't that comfortable.

Exellent ride. Best on the climbs and sprints as is very stiff. Weels are great, only like 150g heavier than ksyriums - and better climbers/ accelerators. Great parts spec. All around great bike.

Similar Products Used: None, first road bike.
adub   Road Racer [Feb 09, 2004]
Strength:

everything. the components are nice and the wheels feel really fast

too many decals (just my own personal preference)

no beefs with the bike. I had a giant tcr 2 before this and find that the fit is much better (trek offers better sizing) and the bike does what it is supposed to do without problems.

Similar Products Used: giant tcr 2
tlmorriss   Recreational Rider [Jan 15, 2004]
Strength:

components work well together, all full Ultegra, lightweight, responsive.

obviously you have to change the seat and pedals. Look at the crank brothers egg beaters. Initial setup at the store sucked. It took about 400 miles to get it dialed in.

An all around exceptional bike. Worth the $ over the 2200. Very fast, handles well, and is an excellent climber. No one keeps up w/me on any kind of climb. Uncomfortable seat, changed to Terry Fly. The guys at the shop were no help at all, but here in Texas everyone thinks they invented the wheel.

Similar Products Used: Test road Lemond, Specialized Allez,(compact geometry, awful), Klein Quantam Pro(top tube to stretched out), and 2200.
cyclingbadhair   Road Racer [Dec 14, 2003]
Strength:

Everything, I love the bike and I am very happy with it. All the stock parts go together very well.

only problem paint chips easily

I have a limited riding history at 50 years of age starting at the age of 47. This bloody thing flys, it feels like there is a lot more it could do if only I could keep up. although I feel I do a fair job giving a good workout. You could not get a better bike for the price.