Cervelo P2K 2003 Triathlon Bike

P2K

lou_cutlass   Triathlete [Feb 11, 2005]
Strength:

This bike has great aero and is quite comfortable for such an agressive position. The bang for the buck is unbeatable.

I never used the stock saddle on the P2K, but I just put it on my training bike as I built it and I am happy with my decision not to use the stock seat. Only problem is that now i have to buy a seet for the trainer. The seatpost has a bad habit of creaking, too, and though it's easy to tighten the screw, it's a pain to have to do it that often.

Awesome bike. Stiff and fast. I saw my 40k times drop off dramatically, and my legs have been in much better shape transitioning from the bike to the run. I would recommend it to anyone, but I would suggest taking a look at the gearing as it is a littl more suited for the flats. If you're going to climb, I'd change gearing a little, but only one cog.

Similar Products Used: Not really any...I was swayed too heavily by the rave reviews I read about the P2K. Looked at the Felt S22 a little, though.
irusk   Triathlete [Aug 01, 2004]
Strength:

Very aero. Stiff in bottom bracket. Climbs well. Quality manufacture (nice welds). Nice paint and finish.

Stock wheels ok for training, but get some race wheels. Saddle is cheapo, upgrade it. Upgrade to new carbon seatpost. Consider different gearing if you ride big hills and your name's not Lance.

Bought this bike in the spring after reading many reviews. Got a good deal as it was last year's stock, happened to have one in my size (58cm). I took me a while to get used to the agressive geometry. The head tube is very short (although the bike was built up with 6cm of spacers). I've gradually removed the spacers and hunkered down into a more aero position. Going in a straight line it's a fast and aero ride. Very stiff due to the short and beefy chain and seat stays. climbs reasonably well. Gearing is pretty high and on courses with tough hills I've often wished for a lower gear or two. I guess that's an easy fix. Short chain stays cause some imprecise shifting and require some feathering of the front derailer when going from small rear cogs to big ones. Overall I'm very pleased. I plan to upgrade the wheels (the stock Ritchey's on the 2003 model are ok, but hubs are a bit cheap, 2004 model has better wheels), as well as the saddle (the Selle Italia XO is not made for triathlons, hard as a rock). The 2004 models come with a carbon seat post, which I've also ordered. Between the wheels, seatpost and saddle, that should shed some grams. Note, if you're riding one of these with an aluminum post, be sure to pull it all the way out and see if you have some room to trim it. I found I had the max length seat post, but with my position and the minimum insertion length, I could have gotten away with the smallest. That's a lot of uneeded aluminum.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1400
KithKhan   Triathlete [Jan 29, 2004]
Strength:

superb aerodynamics, stiffness, attention to detail, tri geometry allows low aerobars without knees bumping chest, looks, very solid construction

harsh ride, cornering feels cumbersome due to geometry and fork rake (not responsive, agile... feels like you really have to push around a turn and the radius is never quite as clean compared to generic road bike... which is a good thing if you're in aero position which is less stable but a bad thing if you're riding it road style on the bars). also, you REALLY have to clamp down hard on the upper seatpost bolt to keep it from creaking.

This bike is incredibly aerodynamic, stiff, and responsive. It is through and through bred for speed, which means it sacrifices a lot on comfort in terms of road vibration. But then, I've never ridden anything more solid and rigid feeling, and 100% of your power goes directly to speed. There is the least bb flex of anything I've ever tried. The tri geometry does indeed seem to help when transitioning to runs compared to my old road-bike. Also, I can use my low aerobars which keep my back parallel to the ground without my knees bumping into my chest with each pedal stroke, so the geometry is great for tri. It also looks really really good. Oh my.

Similar Products Used: Scattante R-650 steel ultegra road bike Giant OCR-2 aluminum 105 road bike Lemond Zurich steel ultegra road bike and a jot around the parking lot on a lot of other bikes like Aegis AeroSvelte and Cannondale R600
Jason   Triathlete [Dec 18, 2003]
Strength:

This bike is incredible for the price.

Ditch the seat a go with a Fizik or a Koobi. The bike is very blue. One water bottle cage but you can add the seat mount bottle holder, so no big deal.

Believe the hype. I raced the bike about 2 weeks after I bought it and had my best showing ever. It's comfortable and climbs well for a tt/tri bike. I haven't regreted the decision to go with Cervelo for one minute.

2003 state champ   Road Racer [Sep 11, 2003]
Strength:

aerodynamics fit and finish aerodynamics frame material/quality aerodynamics

blue tires that came stock. good tires, but too much blue.

This has been a great bike! I always believed it was a lot of bike for the money, and after riding it for 6 months I'm convinced. Fit and finish, and component spec are great at this pricepoint. Unlike one reviewer, mine had 53/39 chainrings as stock. I rode this bike, with a few modifications, for an '03 state tt championship gold medal.

Barry   Triathlete [Jun 05, 2003]
Strength:

Good areo position possible, smart component choices (ie FULL ultegra), well thought out frame design.

Could use lower gearing for steep climbs.

I have held off on posting this review until I used the P2K in my first race, which was this weekend. I was not disappointed! I was noticeably faster on the bike, and felt better on the run. A word of warning though - the fit of the bike is more important than the bike itself. Fortunately, the P2K fits me like a glove. The only small beef I have is with climbing. I find the small front ring doesn't get me into a low enough gear to handle steep climbs without standing up on the pedals. I could either get a smaller front ring, or train more. I guess I'll save the cash and train more.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1200 with aerobars.
nberk76   Triathlete [May 04, 2003]
Strength:

Aero frame, cost, weld quality, overall look. comfort.

one water bottle mount, seat post bolt, gearing.

The P2K is a great tri-bike that I am very happy to be riding. It's fast, adjustable, and pretty comfortable over longer distances. I've put about 600miles on her so far this spring and I've enjoyed them immensely. She climbs well, handles well, and just tears it up on the flats. I'm 1-2mph faster as this time last year on the flats and my fitness is not really any better as evidenced by my weak hill climbing. The wheels are a good addition with bladed spokes and lightness. The components are quality and the cervelo brakes seem to work just as well as any shimano products I've used. However, the stock gearing is too stiff for me. The little ring on the front is a 43 instead of the 39 I'm more used to. This paired with an 11-23 equates into too much standing and mashing up hills at lower cadence than I would like from a tri-bike. I am going to set the bike up with a more reasonable gearing ratio for my hill climbing ability when I get around to it. You should look at this before you buy the stock setup. Other complaints: The seat post is reversable and the set bolt for this feature seems to come loose continually. I have had to deal with a loud creak that turned out to be a loosely installed bottom bracket. Also I have had the rear wheel rub against the cutout twice even though I have used the set screws to back the wheel out so there is a good bit of space between the two. I think that when the wheel picks up road junk (I have been riding on a few rainy days lately) it closes the distance and rubs. Only one water bottle mount is a negative for longer rides.

Similar Products Used: Lemond Buenos Aires with clip on aero bars.
Speedy   Triathlete [Apr 02, 2003]
Strength:

Feel great on run Excellent quality Speed! (Aero)

Back wheel not easy to take off Seatpost screw

Best quality for great price. It looks like a speed machine. Its really responsive and picking up the speed or climbing is no prob. Feels really aero on bike. Feels like you cutting thru air. Perfect geo. Love it, love it, love it!