Garmin Edge 500 GPS

Edge 500

Sharpen your cycling performance with the GPS-based Edge 500 Bundle, a lightweight cycling computer for performance-driven cyclists that attaches easily to the stem or handlebars of your bike.

Tony   [May 02, 2015]
Strength:

Charger USB unit cooked 2 before I realised where the problem was. Have never had successful outing with this. Difficult to use. Battery goes flat on a ride after charging to 100%. Forget it for an all dayer. Not intuitive menu system.

Expensive piece of junk. Sometimes works. I had to have the unit replaced twice under warranty. You can buy this unit for $200 now although I dont think it is worth that. I am going to bin mine and look for something else.

Similar Products Used: Cateye
Echowell
Niterider
Don Bennett   [Jul 04, 2014]
Strength:

Fitted the handlebars well

Everything else

This is a piece of expensive crap. I don't reckon I have finished a single session without something going wrong. Initially it was not downloading accurately, changjng dates and times. Then it was difficult to power up. Then it would stop recording certain functions. Lately it has stopped recording distance and every 5 minutes it tell me that it is powering down and switches itself off. It then takes about 2/3 minutes before it will allow me to start it again. 5 minutes later switches itself off. For the last two days I have been trying to speak with their support line but it is always busy and I am in a queue. 10/15 minutes later I am still I a queue! This is one useless piece of crap and belongs in the bin.

Sknyski   [Feb 20, 2013]
Strength:

Smaller size

Corruptable files
Training Center no longer supported
Intermittent operation
HR function doesn't always work
Calorie count is nowhere close to accurate in comparison to bonehead calculations

Lots of touted features, but this is the most buggy and unreliable bike computer I've ever used. It's like Garmin stuffed more features than a unit this size could handle. Sort of reminds me of an MS Windows OS - crash here, crash there, corrupt files/operation, etc. Garmin software Training Center also is no longer supported, Garmin tech support gave me some really lame excuse for discontinuing this program. When another product comes on the market with similar capabilities THAT WORK, I'll junk this unit in a heartbeat.

ajc   [Sep 29, 2012]
Strength:

Works sometimes.

Doesn't work most of the time. My edge started out ok but has been getting harder and harder to connect with my computer. I try every reset type trick there is and it just sucks. Also the water resistant window plug for the mini usb port is pretty useless after the first week when if falls off your crappy expensive cyclometer.

I've had cheaper computers that worked way better. The only thing this has going for it is connectivity to sites like garmin connect or strava. As it is mine wont connect to either of those so my summary is that I'm frustrated and dissapointed with the unit. Wasted so much time trying to make adjustments that would help it communicate.

AFrizzledFry   Road Racer [Sep 06, 2012]
Strength:

Very user friendly, customization.

Glitchy. Poor product support. After 15 months of use, my Garmin Edge 500 began to freeze and/or power down secondary to vibrations/large bumps. Since the Garmin warranty is only valid for 1 year from date of purchase, I then was asked to pay another $90 as a service charge to have it repaired.

Great when it works, but mine stopped functioning after only 15 months.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Flight Deck
Strava Android App
cyclingmagnet   [May 02, 2012]
Strength:

easy to use and customize 3 screens of data, small, easy to change from bike to bike

best cycling computer I've ever used. small, light, easy to use, easy to upload data to strava or WKO, Ant power from Quark, this thing is super easy to customize on 3 different screens the data you want to see, long battery life, tons of memory. I've never deleted a workout from the memory. easy to switch from bikes. Can't go wrong with this one.

Francisco Chamorro   [Feb 15, 2012]
Strength:

Features, menu customization, long battery life, sleek design.

I can't really think of any - the unit has been flawless for me since day one.

I've had this unit for 5 months now and all I can say is wow. I love all the features, long battery life and size/sleekness of the unit. It has multiple pages that I can scroll and view items that I am interested in and can also be customized. I purchased the unit along with a heart rate monitor and cadence meter and at first it was a bit of information overload. Over time I've come to rely on the unit for my training and to brag/smack talk w/friends on Strava.

Jordan   Road Racer [Jan 10, 2012]
Strength:

Light weight, easy to use, tons of data, all in one device (speed, cadence, heart rate, power all available in one spot), secure mount.

Garmin Training Center, glare on screen, battery life. Expensive (but worth it in my mind)

Data Machine. Provides all the data I need to maximize performance right at my fingertips. Later I can analyze my data check elevation, grade, heart rate, speed and cadence at a SPECIFIC point in right as well averages and maximums. There is sooo much data. If you are a data nerd it is fantastic

Similar Products Used: Strada Double Wireless, Polar S150
jumpstumper   Recreational Rider [Oct 16, 2011]
Strength:

Small size, lightweight. Easy to read screen and fairly accurate

Fatal software bugs in course feature results in unit freezing and requires the 4-button reset trick to restart it.

Garmin Edge 500 is rubbish. It will do the basics fairly well - speed, cadence, altitude but the main reason I purchased this unit was for the follow course feature. Well, this feature is broken on the Edge even with the latest greatest firmware from Garmin. The unit will freeze up every time I follow a course and I'm not the only person complaining about it. Several fellow riders have the Edge 500 and every one has the same problem with the course feature. Garmin support sucks - I'm NEVER buying anything from Garmin again.

Similar Products Used: Polar.
Cyclist20   Road Racer [Jul 06, 2011]
Strength:

easy to use, easy to read, easy to set up, lots of data in a small package.

Inaccurate HR monitor readings due to static between HR strap and jerseys/baselayers.

Design is great and stem mount is super easy to utilize. Most of the problems with course map and lost data have been fixed in subsequent updates to the firmware. What has not been fixed is the HR monitor issue. When it is cold(even cool)with dry air the HR monitor gives sporadic readings. Why? Well, the answer FINALLY received from Garmin was, I quote: "Technical shirts and bike jersey's may cause static with the HR monitor and that is why you're seeing the spikes. It may have been that the old battery had enough voltage to be picking up the static with the monitor and with a new battery it may be more sensitive. I'd recommend wearing a cotton shirt under your jersey to resolve your issue." Yep, cycling specific clothing seems to create static which provides the poor readings. Just wear cotton? Seriously? Tight jersey's help (less flapping in the wind). Works flawlessly in late spring through early winter.