Kryptonite Evo-2000 U Lock Locks

Evo-2000 U Lock

Constructed from high-tempered steel.

todibble   Triathlete [Sep 16, 2004]
Strength:

looks secure...

can be breeched/opened with only a standard ball-point pen

I work at a bike shop. Today i heard a rumor that the lock could be opened using only a ball point pen...i tried it. After 5 minutes of fumbling, it opened with no problem...not sure i want to be selling this product anymore.

silversurfer   Recreational Rider [Jun 02, 2004]
Strength:

Good tough lock, great reputation. Bought one way back and will buy again. Never had to use the warranty and hope I never will.

The bracket is very tight. Design could have been a little more convenient like the days before. Doesn't really concern me since I have no room for it on my bike. Rather be carrying it in my backpack instead.

Just bought the lock online at docssurpluscity@doorknobking.com for 28.45 (that includes the 6.95 s/h)

Garrett Thompson   Recreational Rider [Oct 24, 2001]
Strength:

Backed by anti-theft guarantee, but they have not replied to me yet.

Locking mechanism failed.

Bought this bike lock to protect my bike at college. Well after only four weeks of daily use, the lock stopped to lock. Since I couldn''t afford to buy a new one, I had to only use my cable lock for awhile while I was returning the lock. Well guess what... The bike got stolen. Thank you Kryptonite

Similar Products Used: None
Seung   [Feb 07, 2001]
Strength:

Solid construction, doesn't rattle or move around.

A bit pricey but I guess not getting my $1500 bike stolen is a good thing.

The rust proofing cap thing is nice because my old U lock got rusty in the key ring. The lock is the perfect size for getting around a parking meter and two wheels with almost no room left to squeeze in a jack or hacksaw. It's is almost impossible for thieves to break in unless you are stupid and left it over night in south central LA.

Similar Products Used: Some generic brand U lock for $25.
chismog   [May 31, 2000]
Strength:

A decent lock, well made, works fine.

The rubber coating slips and makes it hard to use sometimes.

I still have my bike, so I guess the lock works. Although, I don't exactly live in a high crime area. U locks are all about the same- and the only serious protection option out there.

My only gripe is that the rubber coating on the U slips around and makes it hard to insert the ends. I could probably fix it with some glue, but why doesn't the factory do this?

Similar Products Used: Tioga U lock, cables, padlocks
Matt   Recreational Rider [Aug 11, 2000]
Strength:

Pretty light weight compared to the New York Chain.

The dust cover over the lock is loose and can get in the way sometimes but you can pull it off.

I highly recommend this bike lock. For the ammount of protection you get, it is very light weight(around 2 and 2.5lbs). I live in the great city of Chicago which is one of the top five bicycle theft cities in the USA. I have used this lock 5 days a week for about 3 months in some of the worst and best parts of the city and my bike has not been stolen yet. The $1500 theft protection is was really sold me on this lock however I have not needed to use it. The size is perfect for my bike as well. It goes around the tire, mountain bike frame and a parking meter perfectly. I got it on sale for $36 at a local bike shop(Performance Bike)and I am very satisfied with my purchase. It would be well worth the $59 some shops charge however be aware that it can be cheaper!

Similar Products Used: Kryptonite 4, New York Chain, New York U Lock, many cables and some padlocks.
Pocket Knight   Recreational Rider [Mar 22, 2001]
Strength:

Design makes it difficult to use jacks or levers to break it open. Comes with 3 keys... one with a built in light for all you night riders. Protective cap over the key hole.

Stupid mounting bracket design.

The lock is great, but the bracket sucks. Can they make it more inconvenient to use the mounting bracket? The end-user has to use his own knife to cut away the rubber coat to slip on the spline; it would have been just as easy to design a spline to fit over the rubber.

The bracket was too large for my seat tube, but the rubber shim that came with it was too thick. I made my own shim from gasket material. The "short" machine screws still stick out quite far and can catch things, especially if you have a small road saddle.

The alternate mounting location under the top tube is no better. I sizable chunk of the plastic bracket would be sticking straight up along with the screws. No thank you... I'd like to stay a baritone.

I finally gave up and got a 3rd party mounting bracket from Twofish Unlimited. They work great and are much easier to fit. Too bad I am stuck with the mounting spline that I can't remove (can't put back on the rubber I cut off in the first place).

The old mounting bracket for the Krytolok was better, but it could not be used with the newer locks.

Similar Products Used: Krytolok (old style Kryptonite U-Lock).
Philp   Commuter [May 11, 2001]
Strength:

It works.

After a theft attempt, it is expensive to replace.

I think the model of my lock is actually a gorgon. It definitely works against bolt cutters. Someone tried to steal my bike and were foiled by this lock combined with a cycle-pro cable through the front tire. They got through the first two layers of the kryptonite, but couldn't get through the inner steel cable. They also attempted to cut through the cycle-pro, but barely made a dent. I would recommend this lock for a medium crime area, but make sure to combine it with a cable. It saved my bike. I am just bummed I have to go out and buy a new lock now.

Similar Products Used: Various U-Locks.