Specialized Rapper Slim Lock Locks

Rapper Slim Lock

This is the lock for commuters, shoppers, and students who want the carrying convenience and security of a cable lock system. 6ft. Length but coiled for compact storage using universal mounting bracket.

dhutch   Recreational Rider [Apr 28, 2006]
Strength:

Light/neat/easy to use/nice mounting bracket
- And relativly secure for a cable lock

Can be compromised with a decent bolt cutter.

I know four people who have these locks, and use them to lock our bikes reguarly.
- There not thick/strong enough safe long term or in a high crime area, but for just nipping into the shop they make a great anti-theft deterent.
- The quick and easy to use, light, and can be put several bikes and/or distanct objects.

I also use this on campus to wrap around my forks, frontwheel, frame, and back to the post. With an addiational D-lock around the frame and rear wheel.
- And a POS combo lock on the saddle.

My insurence company rates this lock as safe upto £250. (my bike is £500, hence the additional d-lock when on campus)

Similar Products Used: Onguard "Brute" D-lock, and cheap POS combo-lock
Carl Filipowicz   Recreational Rider [Jul 07, 2003]
Strength:

It appears to be a very strong lock but what good is it if I can't open it?

See above

I have used the Specialized Bike Lock very infrequently but this year I cannot unlock it with the key provided. I have even gone to a locksmith and he could not open it.

Similar Products Used: None
jrockit19   Recreational Rider [Jun 28, 2003]
Strength:

Convienient to carry around on handlebars or with holder that it comes with. Does the job delaying theft with the multiple steel cables. The lock housing was in tact after it was chewed into.

Not a very intimidating lock, a little on the thin side. It could use more layers of protection.

Well, this lock did it's job for me opposed to the previous reviewer. I discovered my bike lock was in a different position where the thieves tried to hide their efforts. My bike was still tied to my porch railing, but it is disturbing that people walked up and tried to mangle with it at night. If they had more time, they could have chewed through easily enough; there are only 6 or 7 individual steel cables(made of a few dozen steel wires each) in the braid inside of the lock. I'd recommend it only for short trips, where you know you'll be back to the bike in an hour, or wherever you can still see the bike every couple hours, even at night. Definitely put it in a well lit area at night... my porch wasn't lit at the time.

Similar Products Used: None, i've had it for about 8 years.
Nathan   Commuter [Jan 27, 2003]

Don't buy this lock if you like your bike. My bike was stolen while locked with the Rapper Slim Lock, and the lock was left behind, cut through it like butter. Might be good for around the house, i.e. keeping a gun cabinet locked or something, but definitely not something you want protecting anything of value.