ProGold ProLink Chain Lube

ProGold ProLink Chain Lube

Progold ProLink Chain Lube is a thin-bodied lubricant which utilizes metal friction reducer technology for smooth shifting and a quiet drive train. Does not build up or become tacky; sheds dirt, mud, and abrasives. Also repels moisture and prevents corros

[Jun 12, 2013]
Paul S

Strength:

Easy to apply. Keeps chain beautifully clean. Increases lifespan of chain. Doesn't cake up on jockey wheels and cogs like dry lubes do.

Has to be applied more often.

This is easily the best lube I've ever used. I was so sick of wax-based dry lubes caking up on everything and filthy wet lubes. This stuff is easy to apply and easy to remove. To begin with, I used a heavy duty engine degreaser to clean all the waxy crap of my chain, then let it dry thoroughly. I applied the ProLink in the usual way (drip it on the chain while rotating) and wiped off the excess. I let it dry overnight and off I went the next morning. I was amazed at how clean the chain remained!

After ever second or third ride, I just wipe the chain over, and reapply and wipe off the excess. It takes about 5 mins. After every 6th or 7th ride, I degrease the chain with Morgans Blue, let it dry and reapply. Easy!

[Apr 22, 2010]
eigenvector9

Strength:

Best lube I ever used. I've been riding seriously since the 1980s and remember fondly dipping your chain in wax on the stove. ProGold beats anything and everything I've ever tried.

extra steps required to use properly...not for everyone

Best bike lube I've ever used BUT you need to know how to work with it. ProGold is NOT for folks who apply lube twice a year. It requires some maintenance but in my experience, it's well worth the effort. Nothing else I've used keeps my Campy drivetrains shifting as flawlessly as ProGold.

I ride a Campy Record 10-speed chain and use the following application process:

1) Strip chain in an aggressive solvent
2) Allow chain to dry overnight
3) Place chain in a bath of Prolink ProGold and allow to bathe overnight
4) Remove chain, wipe down and allow to dry overnight
5) Put chain on bike and ride.
6) After each ride, quickly wipe chain in a cloth and apply a minimal amount of ProGold. Allow this to dry before the next ride.

Your chain will stay clean, beautifully lubed and last for a very long time. One mistake folks make with ProGold is to apply it just before riding and this is not optimal. In my experience, it's better to allow the chain to fully dry before riding.

There's another step I add to the listed process above which makes ProGold even better. Once I put the chain into the initial ProGold bath, I place the container in the oven and heat until 275 degrees for one hour. Then I remove from the oven and allow the container to cool. Once it returns to room temperature, I transfer to a plastic tub and allow the chain to soak overnight. ProGold chemically bounds to the surface of the metal in the chain and gently heating it up will expand the metal slightly, allowing ProGold to better adhere to the metal surfaces.

I've tried everything at one time or another. Found ProGold back in 2004 and haven't used anything else since.

[Apr 17, 2010]
Steve

Strength:

Price, it is cheap.

You get what you pay for. There is a lot of hype. Really messy, and needs constant re-application.

This stuff is way over rated. It is very messy and has to be re-applied almost every time you go for a ride.

Finish Line Ceramic Lube. Tri-Flow.

[Oct 26, 2009]
pbeliveau

Strength:

Lasts long time

oily

Best lube I have ever used. It lasts a long time and keeps my drivetrain clean

all

[Oct 11, 2009]
Veronikafan

Strength:

Performs as advertised

Drip applicator is messy and tedious to apply--just take your time, or use the PG2000 spray

This is marketed by the same folks that make PG2000 spray lube. The formula is similar, although this "bicycle specific" drip bottle product has a heavier consistency.
This is the best chain lube that I have tried. Clean your new chain with solvent before the first application. Allow it to dry overnight after applying.
The product dries almost completely, yet provides effective lubrication. Will not gum up the derailleur pulleys or pick up much road dirt. Repels water and lasts many hundreds of miles between applications.

Boeshield T-9, Pedro's, Campagnolo, 3-in-1 oil, generic 30W motor oil, etc.

Available At :