Topeak Road Morph G Pump

Road Morph G

Topeak Road Morph G -Morph technology in a road pump. Extra long barrel gives huge performance. Includes in-line gauge.

froze   Recreational Rider [Feb 11, 2012]
Strength:

The pump has a hose, a folding out handle, and foot peg which sort of turns this pump into a small floor pump. The hose prevents you from accidently ripping the valve stem thus rendering your tube useless. The foot peg allows you to easily reach 100 to 120 psi in about 80 to 100 strokes...however, like all pump manufactures who over rate their pumps abilities this one probably could not reach the claimed 160psi either...no problem since I never go that high. It also will reach 100 to 120 psi with less strokes and effort then the more expensive Lezyne that takes about 300. It comes with a slick though small in line gauge that reads to 140psi and at least mine was accurate, the Lezyne you have to pay an additional $22 for a hose with a gauge. This pump will work with either Presta or Schrader and is easy to convert it one way or the other while the Lezyne is for Presta only.

This pump is no lightweight, it weighs about 100 grams more then my Lezyne Road...but the heft of this pump does make it appear to be more sturdy then the other, time will tell if this is true. I prefer the internal hose of the Lezyne because it looks neater but being external is acceptable to me. The other con, which I found to be really odd, was that the pump comes with a bottle cage mount, BUT if you mount it there you cannot have a water bottle cage thus no second water bottle! Why would they do that? All other pumps I have ever bought came with a water bottle cage mount that allowed the pump to set off the side of the cage allowing you to have your second water bottle. However this was not a problem for me since I was going to use it on the touring bike, and the pump comes with a small hole on the handle end which fits into the pump peg then the strap mounts around the top tube holding the pump securely. Topeak does sell the water bottle side mounting brackets for about $6 though Topeak's store at: http://store.todson.com/store/wb-bracket-for-rd-morph-peak-dx-mt-rock-harpoon-ex-tpd-2c.html

Overall I would give this pump 5 stars due to value and ease of pumping. I know some of you are thinking why 5 since there are the cons, see the cons. It's all about value, sturdiness, and ease of pumping, this is the easiest mini pump I have ever used to get above 100psi that wasn't a full blown frame pump, very rugged, and at a reasonable cost; for those two items alone it deserves 5 stars because no other large or smaller mini pump comes close.

Similar Products Used: Lezyne Road, and the SKS Carbon Raceday. The Topeak Road Morph G is the best pump for the money by far.
OVERALL
bradr   Recreational Rider [Dec 07, 2011]
Strength:

- Easy to Pump
- Hose for Valve to reduce stress on valve
- Pressure Gauge Easy to Read
- Bike Mount Removable
- Supports Presta and Schrader
- Foot Stop for easier pumping

- Long (but it makes it easy to pump)
- Would Rather PSI in center of gauge instead of bar.
- Hard to Source Locally, bought online

The pump was bought to use as a emergency pump for if (when) I get a flat on my Cyclo Cross road bike.

I have yet to need to use it (knock on wood) but did try it out by pumping up the tires of my Cyclo Cross bike. The tires only take 100 PSI but the pump works well pumping up to that level.

This replaces a Crank Brothers pump which I had originally bought for my MTB and trail riding but that doesn't work well with my CycloCross road Bike.

This is by far the best pump I have ever tried that is meant to go with the bike. I won't use it at home because I already have a good floor pump. It is a pump that could be used at home though if you needed to.

I would recommend this to anyone that needs a pump for the road, there is a short host (approx 16 inches) that goes from the pump base to your valve so you don't exert pressure (stress) on the valve.

There is also a foot stop so you can step down on the pump to keep it on the ground.

The bike mount can take zip ties (included), screws (included for water bottle mount) or velcro straps (not included.) I use the velcro straps as it allows me to attach the pump to the bike, or into a bag.