CamelBak Rogue Water Bottles/Cages

CamelBak Rogue Water Bottles/Cages

• Capacity: 70 oz (2 l)
  • Dimensions: 7 in x 2 in x 18 in (178 mm x 51 mm x 457 mm)
  • Volume: Cargo - 110 cu in (1.8 l) • Total - 236 cu in (3.9 l)
  • Weight: Empty Reservoir - 0.9 lbs (0.4 kg) Filled Reservoir - 5.2 lbs (2.4 kg)

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 14, 2008]
    cslayton

Strength:

Plenty of water when you need it, the net is good for NUUN or Camelbak tablets, bars or other small klediments. Everything is replaceable (valves, bends, reservoir).

Added weight on the back is bothersome for some riders, does not bother me much, until that hill at 80 miles. I suspect that the vastly overpriced cleaning tablets are just denture cleaner repackaged. Replacement parts are expensive unless you find them on sale. Brighter colors would be helpful. Smaller capacity bags are more cycling-specific than this model, but that could change in the future.

I bought an older Rogue than the picture on this site, blue with a net at the bottom rear. The coloring of my unit is o.k. for hikers, but too dark for cycling, and I could not find a high viz Rogue at the time of my purchase.
    Like the story of Goldilocks, I started with a 30oz or so, and it was not enough. I find the 70oz is too much, and am going to a high viz 50oz Slip Stream.
    When you need this, it can literally be a lifesaver. There are plenty of long roads in Alabama where there are NO convenience stores, such as long stretches of US 11. I give this 4 stars because it is the best design for what it is, but it needs the sternum strap if you are going to ride with it full, and mine didn’t come with one, so I just made one with a strap loop and some Velcro. I would prefer that the reservoir be wider and thus not so low down over the center jersey pocket, but of course, these are also used by hikers.
    The weight of this unit is along your spine, not spread out, so it feels like a big sausage down your back. Takes some getting used to. I use nothing but water or SmartWater© in mine, and replace the Big Bite frequently because I sometimes ride whole stretches with the thing in my mouth (oral fixation?). On my last century, I felt that the weight had some effect on my climbing, especially out of the saddle.

Smaller version of the same brand.

[Jul 14, 2006]
    f1junkie

Strength:

Easy to store necessities into, convenient, holds enough for a three hour ride.

Not a weakness, but having all the weight on your back like all other bladder systems. Also the fact that some roadies shun these nice inventions....

I use this when I go for my rides over two hours. It's really handy to put everything into the Camelback, such as an extra tube, tools, MP3 player, energy bars and cell phone. I almost prefer this over bottles, if it weren't for the extra weight on my back, but all bladder systems are like this...

[Dec 11, 2005]
    Wes

Strength:

Capacity, storage ( you can put everthing you need for a typical ride in it)

There is something on your back! A bit expensive for what it is.

I bought a used Cannondale, and the guy threw this in with the bike. Obviously, I replaced the bladder with a new one. I have mixed feelings about using a hydration pack for cycling. A typical water bottle (21 oz.) lasts anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours riding. The 70 oz. bladder is more than three times that. Now on a normal summer ride (3-7 hours) I would carry three water bottles (two in cages and one in the middle pocket on my jersey. Rarely do I run out of water and if I do, there are always conveience stores! But I do carry a seat wedge for the extra tubes etc. With the Camelback, I can eliminate the wedge and put the supplies in the pack, and eliminate the water bottles. Actually, if you always used a hydration pack, you could take your cages off too. Sometimes I will use both and I'll tell you why. I don't like using any kind of drink mix or Gatorade or whatever in the pack because they are harder to clean than water bottles. So I'll put some kind of drink in the water bottles, and plain old water (nothing better sometimes!) in the pack. This works great except one thing - you have this thing on your back. Now, when climbing, I'm often out of the saddle, and the pack becomes very noticable. It makes me feel like I've put on 10 pounds! So really, it boils down to a personal preference. I don't use it too much and prefer the water bottles. However, there are some times where you need the extra capaticty, in which case these things are unbeatable. Also I find that by loading the bladder up with ice, it will actually keep my back cool for quite a while into the ride. In addition, a helpful hint is to store the bladder in the freezer when not using, and you really will not have to clean it often at all.

Camelback Wave (50 oz.) with little storage

[Sep 19, 2005]
    Kenal0

Strength:

No having to grab a water bottle and mess with getting it back in the holder with one hand. Holds almost 3 times as much as my water bottle.

Cleaning is not difficult but takes a little more than the water bottles. Luckily I have a great wife that helps with that.

I initially stayed away from a hydration system because of the idea of carrying something on my back was not appealing but after using the Roque, the best thing I can say is I forget it's there.

[Apr 21, 2004]
    siguradam

Strength:

Durable. Practical.

A little pricey, but no weaknesses so far.

The Rogue's been great so far. I have a bad habit of landing on my back when I wipe-out, and I've actually burst a bladder before. I've gone down only once with the Rogue and it's held up beutifully. I like the minimal carrying capacity. The pockets are pefect for cell phones, keys, etc. There's even a specific slot for a mini-pump. It's a sleek, efficient model that does its job well.

Camelbak MULE. The MULE was a little too big for my tastes.

[Mar 22, 2003]
    mlb9625

Strength:

Size, 2 liter capacity, storage capacity

None so far

Adaquate storeage for money, phone, Powerbar etc. Sturdy, bite value works great. Easy clean up.

None, looking at reviews on this site and taling with two bike shops, it sounds like Camelbak is head and shoulders above the rest.

[Oct 01, 2001]
    Rusty

Strength:

Excellent fit and feel. Wide filler mouth with handle is so convenient.

Could use a little more cargo capacity, but I have been able to make do.

I had a Hydrapak Tracker and loved the storage volume, water capacity, and fit, but the leaking mouth piece drove me crazy. I returned it for the Rogue and have been completely happy with it. The mouth valve is great and doesn''''t spill a drop, even when there is a little pressure on the pack. The wide filler mouth with handle makes it so easy to fill and clean.

Hydrapak Tracker