Elite Ciussi Water Bottles/Cages

Ciussi

72 grams

DaveG   [Sep 18, 2013]
Strength:

super cool looks

loose grip on bottle
overpriced

These look great on my Colnago Master. However, these really should not cost $25+ a piece. I have not ejected a bottle, yet but I am sure it will happen as these provide a very light grip on the bottles. I give these an A for appearance, a C for functions and a D on price

gkrawzoff   Recreational Rider [May 06, 2005]
Strength:

Looks nice.

Poor construction and poorer warranty support.

My Elite Ciussi cage cracked at the weld with the base plate. Their warranty rep claims "nothing lasts forever" but I've never had a cage break this fast.

Similar Products Used: Many other cages over the years. American Classic stands out as a much better product.
AJS   Recreational Rider [Feb 20, 2005]
Strength:

~ Doesn't rust, corrode, or cause discoloration. ~ Timeless, old-school looks.

~ Would like to see a choice in button colors instead of only the red. ~ Light enough for me, but not uber-light for some of you weight weenies. ~ Not cheap, but nor are CF cages. OTOH, if a $25.-$30. cage can last this long, then I guess it IS a good value.

I have had this one Elite stainless steel cage for almost 5 years now. I bought a generic Specialized painted Al cage once at a shop when it was a hot day and I couldn't find an Inox cage. The SS Elite hasn't broken at a weld or tossed a single bottle yet, so I've never seen any reason to replace it with anything else. One of these days though, I'll get around to replacing that Al cage with another Inox for those hot days that require an extra bottle. You don't get to be a "classic" by being a piece of junk.

Similar Products Used: Other designs that were obviously less great.
jdmorris   Road Racer [May 04, 2004]
Strength:

Bottles stay in the cages no matter what. I've never lost one even crossing RR tracks where many people's bottles bail out. The plastic buttons don't mar bottles.

Limited lifetime. These break right at the welds (where competitors like American Classic said they would). I have to choose between replacing these annually or using another product. Water bottle cages shouldn't suddenly break during normal use!

I loved the Elite Ciussi Stainless cages - light, great hold, not too marring on bottles, but after about 10000 miles in 2 years one of them broke. Although it worked fine over the weekend's 150 miles it started to break and failed very quickly while there was no bottle in it while I was commuting to work on Monday. Thankfully it failed when I didn't need it and not on a 200k, a race, or a team ride.

Similar Products Used: A variety of cheap and heavy cages that were indestructible but stupid heavy
took   Road Racer [Aug 15, 2003]
Strength:

look cool, holds bottle securely

heavy, weak welds

had a pair of these on my back-up rig. The welds started to crack after a year. For a heavy cage, you think they'd be durable, but the welds cracked so I ditched them and went back to my blackburns. they look cool for sure, but for less $$ you can get something stronger and lighter.

Similar Products Used: blackburn chicane, PC1
npg3   Road Racer [Jul 27, 2003]
Strength:

Very lightweight, good looks, high quality, solid construction.

None.

Perfect cage. The bottle fits snugly and it is EXTREMELY easy to get in and out of..when compared with my last cages. If your bottle is loose or falling out, you just have to bend it back into position. Mine came a bit loose from the factory, but Don at Oak Park Cyclery showed me how to tweak them back.

Similar Products Used: American Classic cages
roadjunkie   Road Racer [Jun 17, 2002]
Strength:

The best

nothing

You gotta be kidding me??? These are the best cages out there. I too have had waterbottles come out of these cages, but only on the roughest of courses, and other cages would not even of heald them half as long!

Similar Products Used: cuissi stainless(suck)
Brad   Road Racer [Jun 16, 2002]
Strength:

Doesn't leave black marks on the bottles (stainless steel, not aluminum).

Bottles get black marks from bouncing off the pavement. They bend. They break. Too expensive.

These cages toss bottles like it's their job. Stainless steel is nice because it doesn't wear down and coat everything in black aluminum oxide. However, I didn't expect steel to break or bend so easily. Yes, the pros use these, but they probably get new cages often and they can have somebody else bring them a bottle when they lose theirs. When my bottles bounce out, I have to go back and get them.

Similar Products Used: Many and various.
Tim   Recreational Rider [Apr 24, 2002]
Strength:

Does what it''s supposed to do and looks good doing it.

A great product that not only does its'' job perfectly but is used by the many in the pro peloton. I use this product because it works for me, the pros using it is a bonus.

Similar Products Used: Various cheap bottle holders.
Scott   Road Racer [Apr 15, 2002]
Strength:

look good, light weight, so what.

They don''t hold bottles securely, and that''s a cage''s only purpose!

My low rating is based on one bad experience -- 3 miles into a 50 mile road race, I hit a small bump and both of my cages ejected their bottles. The race was too short for us to have a feeder, so I had to U-turn and pick my bottles up, and this put me immediately off the back. Those cages will never see another water bottle.