Specialized Rib Cage Pro Water Bottles/Cages

Specialized Rib Cage Pro Water Bottles/Cages

Our designer''s latest creation. Sleek new look and superior bottle retention. Made of Polycarbonite and Kraton for durable construction. Design makes it easy to insert bottle while riding.

[Mar 20, 2009]
FatGut1

Strength:

Look cool

they are made of garbage and have no durability. Save your money.

Bought 2 of them used them for a couple of months. Pulled my bottle out and the cage pulled off the frame. Garbage!

Specialized should stick with bikes and leave everything else to other manufacturers.

[Oct 29, 2008]
mojocracker

Strength:

Light, sleek looking. Actually held larger bottle better over a hard bump than my more conventional cage.

A flippin' rubber band? Fugedabout!!!

Loved when I found it super cheap at Recycled Cycles in Seattle. Bought it for $5. But, as I feared the rubber band broke and where do I find that. There are better cages out there or $20 new.

Side pull is my new favorite favorite from Perfomance. Not sure of mfr. Too cheap to go carbon.

[Oct 29, 2008]
Doug Hansen

Strength:

A flippin' rubber band? Fugedabout!!!

[Aug 08, 2007]
linuxted

Strength:

looks cool, light

expensive, loose, flexy, noisy

Thought they were cool until I realized the noises on my ride were caused by the rubber/plastic of the cage rubbing on the plastic water bottle. Doesn't hold the bottles too snugly either. Oh, and if you have a clampon front derailler between the brazeons you'll have to make a cutout.

blackburn mountain cage (heavier (77gm... big deal!)) but bottle does NOT move. Dead silent

[Oct 31, 2006]
RSPDiver

Strength:

Looks like it belongs in the Victoria's Secret catalogue.

Too flexy, feet don't retain a heavy bottle over bumps, and some difficutly removing and replacing bottles.

These bottle cages look slick, and have great color combos for the truly vain riders. The one I bought (gloss black w/ red retention band) matched my old Peugeot frame perfectly.

I was a bit put off by the price, but figured it was probably worth it. I was wrong. It works fairly well, but it is flexible and I'm always concerned I'll break it replacing my bottle w/out looking. I carry larger bottles (22oz I think), and when full they can drop down past the stubby feet if you hit a moderate bump. That makes it even harder to remove the bottle, which is already a bit tricky given the flexible nature of the frame, slight stickiness of the material, and snug design.

It was just a bit too frustrating to justify a great review or ownership experience.

Specialized E Cage and similar.

[Aug 18, 2006]
singletrack

Strength:

Looks, holds bottle.

Looks good on my carbon frame and holds
a water bottle.

reg. metal cages

[Jun 24, 2006]
Dinosaur

Strength:

Look nice, don't rattle. Probably work best with regular size bottles (21oz).

The material used for these cages is soft. The cage screws will dig into the plastic and you can't get them tight enough. Eventually the screws will come loose. I solved this problem by using locktite blue.
Another problem is if you are heavy handed and slam the bottle in with a lot of force it will side through. You have to be a little gentle.

I've had no problems with these cages. They are light, strong hold the bottle well and don't rattle.

Elite Cuissi, Performance.

[Aug 16, 2005]
grock

Strength:

Well Designed Light

Very weak Broke 2 within two months from date of purchase

Although these cages are light, and looks fantastic, I am extremely dissapointed due to the fact that two cages broke within two months from date of purchase.

[Apr 22, 2005]
kud

Strength:

Light weight, cheap price vs Carbon.

Will snap if you look sideways at them.

Save your 15 bucks. The Rib-cages are lightweight, and very affordable compared to carbon cages. I needed a pair for an XLab Saddlewing behind the seat setup, and didn't feel like spending for another Arundel Dave-o's (which I've had on my frame for 3 years and LOVE). I liked the low weight and price so I got them. The first one snapped as I mounted my bike (with the XLab, they stuck up above the seat height) for my second ride, so I figured it was my own damn fault for not being flexible enough to get on my own bike. Bought another, which then snapped after hopping over a pothole. Ditto that for the third, and final one. Bunny-hopping on pavement, people- no direct contact with anything, and two snapped cages. Needless to say, I am not recommending these things. Granted, there is bound to be more force put on them behind the seat (think of going over bump on a bus while sitting in the back vs the front)- but DAMN!

Arundel Dave-O carbon. Tubular Stainless. Various random cheap cages, plastic and metal.

[Mar 13, 2005]
curtw

Strength:

Super light. No rattle, even in the harshest conditions. Unlike standard Rib Cage, the "elastomer" retainer can be replaced with a standard rubber band if it breaks.

The color is not molded in, but painted on. Eventually, it will wear off.

My bike has its contrasting accents in white. Do you know how hard it is to find a durable white cage? Yikes! Aluminum ends up staining the bottles gray; plastic eventually snaps off. Can't get resin or carbon fiber in white. I bought these just for the color. They've worked out really well. No entry/exit problems, and no breakage as another review reports on the 2003 model. Would recommend them.

Just about everything in aluminum and plastic.