Campagnolo Record Brake Calipers

Campagnolo Record Brake Calipers

Campagnolo Record Skeleton Brakes Campagnolo Super Record Skeleton brakes are amazingly light and powerful. The body of the brakes are a light alloy and the ?skeleton? design shaves weight only where it is safe to sacrifice material. The...

[Oct 05, 2009]
SwiftSolo

Strength:

pretty

poor power and modulation

Simply the poorest calipers of the big three--but married to the best levers on the market.

I've had my record 11 groupo for a season now and love everything about it except the brake calipers. The first thing I noticed was the lack of power compared to the dura ace that they replaced. When I put the 7800s back on with the campy levers I had excellant brakes--even better than the straight dura ace.

I have a lot of experience setting up brakes and understand the pad differences as well. The campy 11 calipers simply lack the kind of power required for charging down long twisting desents. Hand fatigue will become an issue.

I've since changed to the even better modulated and powerful Eebrake calipers. While a bit of a pain to clean, this combination can not be beat if power and modulation are the goal.

dura ace, rivals, eebrakes

[Aug 20, 2007]
h60ace

Strength:

Light, and strong braking power with non fade.

With the exception of a steep purchasing price, none!

I have been using these brakes (Record Skeleton) for a couple of days, and I can tell you that they can slow my big ass (225) down coming down a hill. To me that says alot. I have absolute confidence in these brakes.

SRAM BB5 mechanical disk brakes on my MTB.

[May 16, 2003]
Adam

Strength:

Stopping power, looks/quality of finish.

Price - Chorus brakes are identical except for lacking a few titanium pieces, and stopping power and aesthetics are otherwise identical.

The other reviews pretty much say it all, these are amazing brakes. My previous bike had Ultegra and with my hands on the tops of the hoods I never felt like I was able to get adequate stopping power on fast descents. Not a problem with the Records (I have 2001 calipers with 2000 Chorus levers). I'm fairly stout, 190lbs, and these brakes stop me with no problem at all. Great control, linear feel, great looking. As one other reviewer wrote, the attention to detail is fantastic, and I like the fact that the rear caliper is paired down to match its work level - keep the weight up front where it's needed.

Ultegra, Mirage.

[Oct 22, 2002]
richardmc

Strength:

Feel, control, ease of set-up, looks

Price! (Let's face it, they don't stop $60 better than Chorus!)

Unbelievably solid feel and control! The opportunities I have to do a long downhill, I have full confidence in my ability to "think" my speed through the curves. In a tight pace line, just a tap on the front lever is all I need to maintain my distance. Lots of attention paid to details, such as little allen screws for centering, BIG wrench flats for gross centering (no longer need a cone wrench as just about anything will reach in there).

Campy Record (from the 70's), Grand Compe, Shimano 105 DP (8-speed), Shimano 105 DP "HollowTech"

[Jul 16, 2002]
lverma

Strength:

Looks, Weight,

Rear brake is a joke. Doesn't surpass my old ultegra but then the DA versions didnt do any better than the campys either.

Great looks, Front brake does most of the work, the rear is IMO cosmetic. I would use these in crits or hairy decents or anywhere serious stopping power is needed. (City biking too)

DA and Ultegra

[Jan 20, 2001]
Mike Cutler

Strength:

Stopping Power

These are the best brakes I've ever used. You can flat out lay a bike into a corner with these brakes. I weigh 175-185 lbs. and these brakes allow me to corner and descend much better than the Shimano line of brakes The stopping power is very linear and allows for greater control when feathering the brakes is required in a pace line

Dura Ace

[Apr 03, 2000]
Art S.

Strength:

•Powerful.
•Smooth, easy to operate.
•Easy to adjust.
•Great Campy fit n' finish.

•Range of modulation is less than with single-pivot calipers.
•Not as light as single-pivs.

Typical smooth and powerful response of Campy, and IMO beats ShimaNO in that regard. They're just not the lightest set of calipers out there even with the Ti bits,so I guess it's a trade-off. Pads have been redesigned for 2000: longer and narrower than '99's, with a slight curvature that follows the curve of the braking track closer - and it seems to work well.

Very good ease of adjustment. Reliable. Great looks. 5 for stopping power, adjustability and asthetics. 4 for weight.

•ShimaNO D/A & Ultegra.
•Cane Creek BRS-200SL.
•Old Campy brakes (not sure which models).

[Nov 21, 2000]
Brian

Strength:

These are the best brakes I've ever used. I have Dura-ace on my other bike and there is no comparison. These give me so much more confidence in descents - I know I can stop very fast if I need to. They feel very stiff and direct. Sure, they weigh a little more but stopping fast without flex is worth it.

Shimano Dura-ace

[Apr 26, 2001]
Dan

Strength:

Great stopping power and adjustability of the brake pads.
Tour magazine in Germany compared pure stopping power between DA and Record and there was just no comparison as
these beautiful little numbers won hands down for stopping
power and feel. And you may never see a brake as good looking as these

Some might cry at carrying a few grams more around

Everything you could ever need and better looking than
anything else on the market

Ultegra