Cane Creek SCR-3 Brake Calipers

Cane Creek SCR-3 Brake Calipers

Cane Creek SCR-3L Road Caliper Brakes: Extra long (47-57mm reach) arms for greater tire clearance. Dual pivot for equal pressure right-left. Cane Creek cartridge pads included...

[Mar 17, 2013]
lebikerboy

Strength:

Fairly well finished.

Not the strongest calipers out there. Stock pads are terrible.

This review is for the SCR-3L which are the long reach version. I've had nothing but problems with these during the three years
I've been using them. High maintenance as compared to Shimano. They do work a lot better with Kool Stop Dura pads though.
I replaced them with Shimano BR-R650 brakes which are vastly superior IMO.

[Jul 22, 2012]
Paul

Strength:

They work as advertised stopping my bike

The pads are horrible

I recently purchased a used Trek Equinox that came with these Can Creek SCR-3 calipers. I was underwhelmed by their performance. I looked around and saw that other people suggested to replace the pads and I can confirm that does indeed make these much better performers. I just bought two pairs of Shimano brake pads and now they are nearly on the level performance of my other bikes Ultegra calipers. Obviously these calipers are cheaper, and they aren't quite Ultegra quality, but they seem good enough not to need to invest in new calipers now.

[Mar 05, 2011]
biketyke

Strength:

They do stop well. Stops are easy to modulate. Easy adjustment.

The original pads were noisy. They have since been replaced and the breaks just got even better.

The SCR 3's came as original equipment and now have over 3400 miles. They still adjust easily and the finish is still very nice.

[Aug 06, 2009]
Scott_t_CT

Strength:

Look Great and Nice Dual Action

Brake Pads

Just got the Cane Creek SCR-3 brakes, boy they look nice, and I like the dual action, my first go. Had old dura ace and centerpulls prior. As per reviewers recommendations I emediately changed the brake pad cartriges to Dura Ace Black. The cane creek inserts were grey and sounded like the scraped the wheel when applying pressure the the rims. I could see how they would ruin the rim very quickly.(Why don't they change that?; you would think they would want a better rep than that) Put on the new pads and Wha La! Soft but firm stopping power. NICE and THANKS!

Ultegra, 105

[Nov 13, 2008]
John Doe

Strength:

Great feel, light, easy setup, great finish

None noted

I bought these brakes to replace the no names that came with my OCR C3. I tried getting Ultegras, but they don't come in a long reach. The short reach version of these brakes are spec'ed on my wife's carbon Fuji Silhouette, which is mostly Ultegra. I found the setup to be very easy with great feel. It's too early to tell on the pads, but I'll give them time. I absolutely love the finish.

Shimano 105

[May 01, 2008]
markshells

Strength:

good fit and finish. great stopping modulation and power. smooth as glass

the pads were the only thing i did not like, but would not stop me from buying these again..it's worth the extra $20 to replace the pads.

Needed long reach brakes (scr-5L) for the Giant OCR and this is without a doubt the best choice! great stopping power, but changed the pads to cool stop real quick, stock pads were noisy. great looking, great feel and weight is about the same as Ultegra. best deal in a long reach brake.

Record, Dura Ace, Ultegra, Mavic, Modolo,
too many others to count. closest thing to record in a long reach

[Sep 19, 2007]
Mel

Strength:

stopping power equipped with Kool Stop pads.

pads.

The calipers are great; the pads are too hard to stop you quickly and safely. Dura Ace, Ultegra or Kool Stop will work, but I recommend Kool Stop because that fit the calipers "perfectly." Armed with Kool Stop pads these breaks will stop you on a dime. They are on par with Shimano's. I was seriously considering Ultegra for both front and rear, but I think I'll keep $130.00 in my pocket. Unless you're bent on name brand, buy the Cane Creek SCR-3s.

[Sep 04, 2007]
Adam O'Loughlin

Strength:

Look great (in black) and stop you really really quickly, as we as having nice 'feel' when graduating your speed.

None as yet (only a month old though)

When I got the Trek a month ago, I expected to find that they'd cut corners on the components to keep the price down, hence the Cane Creek brake calipers as opposed to 105, which is everything else. As such, I expected these calipers to be rubbish. Well, they're not. At all. I have full Ultegra on my other bike, and these are better. I nearly crashed the first time I stopped in anger, they're that powerful. I was planning to change them to Shimano, but not now. Highly recommended.

Ultegra dual Caliper

[Jul 25, 2007]
Cycler64

Strength:

Very Good stopping power, they look pretty nice.

Adjusting screw comes loose.

I got these brakes as stock on my Trek 2100. They stop you fast enough to skid the tires, which is all you need. They have a nice look to them also.

But the adjusting screw comes loose quite often; it's easy enough to fix, but can be annoying on longer rides.

[Aug 02, 2006]
matt4517

Strength:

Long life
Good Stopping Power
Nice Caliper Design ( comes in Black and Sliver )

None that I know of yet

Cane Creek SCR-3's came on my 06'Trek 2100 triple. I was kinda hoping to get the Ultegra brakes but since I got such a great deal on the 2100 I had to go with it. The Trek 2200 pretty much comes with a full Ultegra setup.

These brakes have worked great with about six months in them already. There is very little wear on the pads and the stopping power is more than enough. I come to 35 m/hr power stops (downhill) in about 3 or 4 seconds, but that's ass over the rear wheel Jacques Anquetil "egg position" kinda stuff.