Mavic SSC Brake Calipers

SSC

• Double pivot.
  • R3 concept : leaf spring with kinematics with no friction on the caliper.
  • Permaglide, anti-friction material helps to reduce the effort needed on the brake lever.
  • Triangular designed caliper shape and computer calculated for maximum stiffness.

• User Reviews (21)

David Loving   Recreational Rider [Apr 09, 2012]
    Strength:

performance

Mavic may have thrown them under the bus. Bad mistake!

Light, good looking, powerful and reliable, the Mavic SSC can't be beat. Best bang for the buck. I have had these brakes (same set) on a couple of bikes that I built up. The set is on my Pedal Force RS2 now. These are the Open Pros of brakes. Is Mavis still making these brakes?

amphibiousdad   Recreational Rider [May 22, 2011]
    Strength:

-Dig the color and little cheap yellow decal.
    -Hold their adjustment like a champ.
    -Stop on a dime unlike my old Cuda.
    -Inclement weather? What inclement weather?
    -I honestly appreciate and respect a product these days.

-Yeah, not as light as the cheaper single pull Cane Creek 200sl's but ever try stopping with those? Holy cow did I hit the clutch instead of the brakes?
    -Would be nice if you could say "made in France"...but you can't.
    -Hardware, Ti maybe? I'm really forcing it.

Purchased used with used pads. Even with the used pads they are far superior to the Ultegra I transformed from. My all steel Fausto Coppi ain't the lightest beast on the tarmac but I converted everything to Record for vanity/heritage reasons, save for these brake calipers. Like everyone else has stated - lighter than normal record and dura ace, (not that that fits my interest overall), but kill DA and Record in performance, even with used pads (kool stops coming). I'm not a light cat at 6'4" 235, my big ass needs to come to a halt and these recognize that issue 100%. Two days ago I took a decent at my max. speed ever; 48.6 mph and low and behold there's a freekin squirrel that jumps into but not over my path of all days. S#*& you not these things slowed me brisk enough to control my way around this blocker in no time flat. If you can find them, get 'em, should satisfy everyone except maybe the shooting for sub 15 pound group. Cheers to the SSC's!

Similar Products Used: Dura Ace, Record Ti, Ultegra, Shimano 600, on and on.
    nickma   Road Racer [Mar 18, 2010]
    Strength:

Powerful, very stiff, easy to fit, first time perfect alignment with rims, light enough for all but the sick of mind. Very good deal at $110/ £70

Ensure power is applied progressively to the back brake to avoid wheel locking...but you do have to apply power very sharply for this to occur. In normal circumstances this is not a problem.

Superbly finished calipers. Extremely smooth in use, with great feel. Buckets more progressive power than Campag Skeleton brakes. Compact and a snap to fit.

Similar Products Used: Campag Skeleton
    CircaRigel   Road Racer [Jan 02, 2010]
    Strength:

Lightweight for a dual pivot caliper
    -Fast, smooth, safe stopping power
    -Accepts standard brake pads
    -Far cheaper than Campagnolo with better performance
    -Easy setup
    -Easy and stable adjustment
    -EXCELLENT modulation
    -great aesthetic look

-No quick release- Requires quick release levers (Cane Creek / Campagnolo)

All I can say is WOW. These blow away the Shimano, Campagnolo, and Spidel brakes I've used in the past. Rapid, effective stopping power w/o dangerous skidding. It's almost like having antilock brakes! I've never had such perfect stopping power in a caliper before! If you're like me and ride fast on steep hills, this is the brake for safe and effective stopping power.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
    Campagnolo
    Spidel
    domogo   Recreational Rider [Aug 20, 2009]
    Strength:

stopping power
    modulation
    competitive weight
    unique?

competitively priced, but that does not mean cheap
    if you wanted to cut grams anywhere possible, you could find lighter brakes

When looking to make the switch from Shimano to Campy, I knew that I wanted these brakes. I ride for recreation, but I also ride for transport, and in busy traffic knowing you can stop on a dime gives me confidence and keeps me alive. They still amaze me everytime. I pull on the levers, and I cannot believe how fast i come to a stop. Modulation is great, weight is very competitive, and braking power is tops. could not be happier

Similar Products Used: cane creek, stock cannondale
    anasazihome   Recreational Rider [Aug 09, 2009]
    Strength:

Low Cost when compared to high end brakesets
    Great stopping power
    Simple design
    Easy to set up
    Brakes stay adjusted nicely

I agree with all of the other reviewers - weight is similar to Campagnolo Record. Stopping power is superb. There is some question about the stopping power of the super lightweights that are extremely expensive. Somewhere I read that brakes should be the lightest that will safely stop you. These are in that category. I ride mountains with steep downhills and these are safe and light. When you don't have to think about a part - like a bad fitting shoe - then you are there. These are in the "wow this works great category." I weigh 162 and my bike is 15 lbs 12 oz.

Similar Products Used: Campagnolo
    Shimano
    shanecamilleri   Road Racer [May 11, 2009]
    Strength:

Strong and smooth,easily maintained.

none.

these are simply the best brakes I have used.Low maint, predictable and strong.Smooth and the do not hide the response of the wheels to the road.You can feel lock up coming,and can adjust the pressuer at the lever accordingly.They are not light, but imo,the are the best brake overall.I own D/A & Record,these are still better.

Similar Products Used: D/a & record.
    M Flanagan   Road Racer [Dec 16, 2008]
    Strength:

Feel, power, value and weight.

I'm not going to mention the QR issue. Even if you run Shimano your brake pads should be set so you can remove your wheel.

These brakes are great. Real Sleepers.
    Stronger and lighter than Campy
    Better modulation than Shimano.
    Unique return spring provides great feel.

Similar Products Used: Record, DA, Zero Gravity (Lame)
    stevecaz   Recreational Rider [Sep 11, 2006]
    Strength:

Ultimate bike stopping power, great looks, easily replacable common brake pad catridges.

Any brake, well any bike part for that matter, at this price point should have stainless hardware. Because of that it loses a star for value.

If you are looking for the ultimate stopping ability for your bike then the Mavic CCS has to be it. It is actually too much power in many ways. I find myself just using the back brake for most general stopping purposes simply because both together is ridiculous.
    I have yet to decide if the crazy braking power is good or bad. Good in that you can stop in an instant at any speed. Bad in that such power has a limited range of modulation.
    But there is no question that brakes do not and should not be any more powerful than this.
    I matched these with a Campy system and therefore really like the lack of a quick release lever.

Similar Products Used: Shimano single-pivots, Shimano 105 dual pivot, Cane Creek SCR-5.
    WHSSY   Recreational Rider [Jun 22, 2006]
    Strength:

Price, weight, ability to retrofit aftermarket brake pads, looks, THAT return spring, ease of adjustment, feel.

Not a weakness as such, but made in Taiwan, not France. It says on the box, in tiny letters. I don't think they need to be ashamed of this.

REALLY happy with these. I'm not a fan of the differential campag brakes and these cost less, weigh the same, and fit my riding style better than anything else I have tried.

Similar Products Used: Dura-ace 7600, Athena monoplaners, 600 single pivots, Record and chorus dual pivots, 105-6 dual pivots.