Shimano Dura Ace BR-7800 Brake Calipers

Dura Ace BR-7800

The Dura-Ace 7900 brakes present a new, durable shoe compound that produces 210 percent stopping power...

JohnnyT   Commuter [Feb 17, 2016]
Strength:

Stopping power from all positions on the lever
Brake pads are solid
Clean look

Using these with 7700 levers. Replaced my 6500 calipers. Night and day. Can now use my brakes in the drops using one finger on the lower part of lever. You get what you pay for with these.

Zachariah   Recreational Rider [Jan 25, 2011]
Strength:

Looks the Bee's knees
Excellent modulation
Long pad life
Light weight

No longer produced

Big difference, coming from Ultegra 6600. Stopping from 40mph only requires a few feathered pulls from the lever and the bike comes to a rapid halt. With Ultegra, I needed long, hard lever action and the brakes got so hot, I thought the tube was going to pop...not with DA 7800!

Get them if you can still find them. Dura Ace 7900 is way over rated and prohibitively expensive.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra 6600
SRAM Rival
Campy Record
Veronikafan   Recreational Rider [Mar 20, 2009]
Strength:

Awesome stopping power
light weight
good looks
easy spring tension adjustment

toe-in adjustment tricky to set up
need teeny-tiny 2mm allen key to change brake pads

I finally upgraded my 20 year-old Dura Ace 7402 calipers to the 7800 model. They are lighter than the old single-pivots, and although they are a little fussy to set up, once dialed in, the performance is astonishing. In, fact, it is quite easy to lock up the rear wheel if you are not careful, due to the awesome stopping power.
Be sure to grease all the bolts upon installation, especially the tiny brake pad retention bolts, and don't overtighten the brake shoe fixing bolts, lest you crack the thin concave toe-in washers, which are essential for mounting the brake shoes.

Similar Products Used: Shimano BR-7402,7403, 6400, 1050
fast ferd   Recreational Rider [Feb 17, 2009]
Strength:

1. Stopping power
2. Attractive
3. One-touch barrel adjuster
4. Long pad life

1. Looks like a nightmare to rebuild
2. Difficult to change pads

Probably the best brakes ever. Interested to see how they will compare against the 7900's I'm getting shortly. I managed to buy a 2nd set to put on my 7700-equipped older bike. Smart move.

Similar Products Used: 7403, 7700, Campy Nuovo, Campy Super (vintage)
506_branch   Recreational Rider [Sep 07, 2008]
Strength:

Excellent braking power.

price

Upgrated from 105's. Big difference in stopping power. Am heavy at 195pds and 105's did not feel quite strong enough. These are great though.

Similar Products Used: 105, tektro
matt   Recreational Rider [Jun 22, 2008]
Strength:

Strong braking. Light weight. Easy to install and adjust.

None so far.

I can not believe the improvement in stopping since switching to these brakes. I replaced a vintage set of Suntour Superbe Pro's that I had held on to for too long for sentimental reasons. My least favorite 15 percent downhill has now become my favorite, allowing me to confidently spin up to speed and quickly bleed it back off heading into the corners. I replaced the stock pads with Kool Stop Salmon's, and surprisingly I think the stock Shimano pads are actually better. In any case the Kool Stops are at best over-rated.

Bcramer   Commuter [Feb 06, 2008]
Strength:

Like i said in the summary, light weight great stopping power.

Very narrow clearence for the tire. With the caliper open, a 23mm tire can be force in and out without much difficulty but i can't run a 25 on it. Not as easily dismantled as some other brakes, so overhauls can be difficult. Probably easier to just throw it in the parts cleaner or spray it down with triflow rather than rebuilding it.

Not a lot to say, its a brake, they aren't that complicated. Great stopping power, light weight. severely limited tire options. If you want the name... its a very effective product. If you don't care about the name, ultegra worked almsot exactly the same and I had less clearance issues with the ultegra.

cz85b   Road Racer [Jan 25, 2007]
Strength:

Superior breaking power!

for the price, I am not sure they are actually worth it... Ultegra breaks almost as well, and I am about to try the FSA SLK along with Cannondale's C1 carbon breaks shortly.. Check those after I check them out!

I bought these thinking that they were on sale for a ludicrously low price... When I got them, the company sent me one caliper when they advertised break set! Anyway, they made it as right as they could, so that is that..

As far as the actual product goes, I was totally floored as to how much better my bike stopped with these calipers as opposed to the Ultegra calipers (even with the long pads on them) There is an issue with the release lever, especially if one rides in the weather... HOWEVER, if you keep it lubed, it should not cause more than annoyance.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra, 105, Campy Centaur, Chorus, Record. I like shimano better due to the easier release mechanism, though the campy stuff stops just as well..
Quadburner   Recreational Rider [Mar 20, 2005]
Strength:

Confidence Inspiring braking.

None found.

Just bought a new Giant TCR Comp 0 with Dura Ace. Old bike had 9 speed Ultegra. The Dura Ace calipers are much stiffer. On a 45 mph descent with a stop sign at the bottom, I was extremely impressed with the performance. They modulated well & didn't require near the same amount of lever force that the Ultegras do.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra 9 speed. Campy Athena. old Diacompe brakes.