Shimano Ultegra BR-6600 Brake Calipers

Ultegra BR-6600

Shimano BR6600 brake caliper designed along the lines of the Dura-Ace 10 Dual Pivot Caliper sytem. The Dual-Pivot brake design is a lightweight, compact and durable braking system. Through advancements in design, tighter tolerances have been created whic

tvphobic   [Jul 19, 2013]
Strength:

Strong, reliable braking with little fade and gorgeous modulation.

This is not a real weakness: These brakes won't impress weight weenies, but brakes aren't really the primary place we plough our money to save weight.

I'm a veteran of the road, trained and raced with Suntour, Campagnolo Athena (single pivot, mind you) and all the mid to higher dual pivot stuff.A 5 quality rating and 5 for value? You could guess I'm joking, or on the Shimano payroll. Nope. These brakes are the fruit of a long effort by Shimano to engineer a traditional road rim brake which can compete with the very high bar of performance that new disc brake technology has made. The engineering has paid off, and the Ultegra brakes SLOW the bike as quickly as anything and feel buttery smooth doing it. I've had these seven years, and no brakes I have owned have impressed me more, and I have a lot of bikes, most _not_ primarily Shimano. You'll never know how lucky you are, if you have only been exposed to the current crop of excellent dual-pivot brakes. FYI Centaur, Veloce are excellent as well, but BR-6600 by a nose here.

Hvnlooker   Recreational Rider [Jun 02, 2009]
Strength:

Excellent stopping power even for a hefty dude, good feel through 105 levers, light weight

Hefty retail price tag makes it tough to support the LBS

I was advised to purchase these for their stopping power, and I did so hesitantly, having not tested them on any bike. My LBS owner was spot on. The Ultegra brakes totally stop the bike with ease, and I am a big guy. They feel good in the levers, and I don't feel like I am using every bit of hand strength in order to get them to do their job. If I had to buy them, I might even consider paying full price somewhere.

danielflood80   Recreational Rider [Apr 17, 2007]
Strength:

They provide great breaking. You can shed alot of speed fast when you need to, but with really good, linear modulation, you're not in danger of them grabbing the rim suddenly (unless you slam on the brakes suddenly of course). I feel alot more in control of my bike with these. They have a quick release built in, unlike campy brakes which force you to use their shifters, so you could use these brakes on any setup.
If you buy on ebay - CHEAP!

In terms of functioning, none whatsoever. There are lighter calipers out there, but I think there are much more cost effective ways to shave off some grams, and safer ways too. Brakes are serious things, your life if in their hands, you don't want to mess with them by makign them too lightweight and fragile.

I have been using these for about a month after purchasing them new on ebay, and I think they are fantastic. I have previously only used the sora brakes, and they are completely awful. I don't know what dura-ace or record/chorus brakes are like but these things work incredibly well. I put in kool-stop dry pads because the consensus seems to be that shimano pads suck, so this review is for these brakes with kool-stop pads.