TRP R960 Brake Calipers

R960

TRP R960 Road Brake Set: The R960 starts with cold-forged brake arms that are aggresively machined both horizontally and vertically to eliminate weight but retain all of their strength and stiffness. Then they add features such as machined...

John   [Jun 17, 2014]
Strength:

Great Stopping power. Look really Cool.

Did not work with Continental Grand Prix 4000S2 25mm on a Ridley Fenix AL. Did not clear top of tire. Plenty of clearance with a 23mm tire.

I would have rated it a 5 if the 25mm tires would have fit on my application.

aa.mclaren   [May 03, 2014]
Strength:

Very light for dual pivot brakes, great modulation and stopping power

Price if paying retail. Get out the q-tips, it's clean-up time.

I bought mine used on eBay at a reasonable price, as I was upgrading one bike and building another, so these replaced a pair of Campy Athena dual pivot front / single pivot rear calipers. These are both lighter and more powerful brakes. I like the oversize aesthetic, they almost look strong enough to stop something with a motor. Great control on hilly rides, I can tap the levers that little bit later when adjusting for a fast downhill corner, which certainly adds a bit of confidence to the more technical descents in this neck of the woods. They also weigh about 69 grams less than the Athena brakes. I use these with alloy rims, but this isn't a brake pad review.

Given that I run Campagnolo everything else, the quick release design isn't an issue (I normally use the button at the brake lever anyway). Some people report having issues with fitting 25mm or larger tires with these calipers, but I see loads of clearance in the frame I installed them on. 28mm might be a stretch but it looks possible. If you have a frame with tight clearances in the brake holes, they could indeed rub around the underside.

These were very easy to set up, and the only downside I see is clean-up time. Lots of little nooks and crannies to get the gunk out of. I did consider the Far and Near dual pivot brakes which present a less skeletal design, but couldn't pass up on a good deal for these TRP 960s.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Ultegra 1994, Dura Ace 1991, Mavic 451 1991, Campagnolo Record 1995, Campagnolo Athena 1996, Sachs New Success 1991, Campagnolo Athena 2012. Call me a recovering retro grouch.
DrSmile   [Dec 01, 2013]
Strength:

Reasonably light, no compromise in performance, great corrosion resistance.

Hard to clean, the release mechanism isn't intuitive and doesn't work when gunked up. They're way too expensive.

These replaced Campagnolo Record brakes on my bike due to corrosion issues. The TRP brakes have almost every bolt made of titianium, which won't corrode. If you don't mind some performance loss, Planet X brakes look as nice or nicer and are half the price.

suasponte2/75   Road Racer [May 13, 2013]
Strength:

Braking power, modulation, weight, looks, set-up (pretty simple)

Barrel adjuster can be stuck/sticky if bottomed out so make sure you loosen a couple of turns before installing/bolting down, black finish and details (nooks) can be hard to keep clean, pricey if paying retail, replacement parts can be pricey and trp specific ($25/per barrel adjuster!) if want to modify/color match.

Got these to replace my SRAM red brakes since I got a good deal on ebay to match my new blacked out build. I was worried after reading a few review about them not being able to accommodate 25mm tires but there was plenty of clearance (probably about the same as the reds). I installed them within minutes, centered them, adjusted the pads (used same swiss stop greens like my old reds) and off I rode; simple as that. No instructions. I mean they are just brakes and pretty simple if you've ever own any of the major brands before, this is no different overall in mechanics.

Test drove them on my typical training route (approx. 25 miles) with a few rollers, a moderate climb and a fast descent. Very light touch needed compared to the reds, dura-ace or ultegras I've owned in the past. Good overall modulation without feeling grabby.

I got the ultimate test this past weekend though. I was moving through town at a moderate pace (19ish) when a truck taking a right hand turn cut me off! I grabbed a handful of brake (rears) while seated and the back tire locked immediately! That's some serious stopping power compared to the reds! I've had close calls before but have never had my brakes able to lock up so quickly while seated with the reds.

I'm pretty much sold on these as a better alternative than the others (except campy since I've never owned/ridden them) and they look pretty bad arse to boot!

Similar Products Used: Shimano Dura-ace, Ultegra
SRAM Red, Rival
alancross   Recreational Rider [Nov 08, 2010]
Strength:

Power, smooth, looks, very lightweight.

None I can find

These brakes simply work excellently. Smooth, firm, no hassle. I have trouble imagining a better brake. You get a very light caliper without sacrificing any performance.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra/dura ace
pdainsworth   Recreational Rider [Jan 24, 2010]
Strength:

Power, modulation, looks and set up.

None yet.

These brakes kick a$$! They look beautiful (the red anodized on my black Tarmac SL2 looks great) and setup easily. The stopping power is better, in my opinion, than the Force brakes I replaced, and the Dura Ace 7900, on which I've spent some time. Modulation is excellent, as well. The included SwissStop pads are great, too. I strongly recommend these brakes. They are worth every penny.

Similar Products Used: Force, Red, Dura Ace, Ultegra, Chorus dual pivot brakes.
singleminded1   Road Racer [Jun 18, 2009]
Strength:

Light, good stopping power, easy setup

price?, aluminum fixing nuts, calipers could open further to remove the wheel

Replacement for Ultegra calipers, which are definitely heavier (dont know how much). No drama during installation. Bolted these on, set the brake pads to the rim, and off I went. No setup problems. I didnt use the aluminum fixing nuts, but stayed with steel ones. Good stopping power, probably due to the Swiss stop pads. Dont feel any flex in the brakes. They have a firm, positive feel, with good stopping power. Havent ridden in the wet yet. The calipers dont open as wide as the Ultegra calpers for removing the wheel, I can get the wheel out or in with a firm tug.