TRP Spyre Mech Disc Brake Calipers

TRP Spyre Mech Disc Brake Calipers

-146 g/ wheel -Robust Cabron fiber actuation arms -Rotor weight: 85g -160mm rotor includes L2 and L3 IS adaptors -Two piston movement evenly contracts rotors for optimum braking power and modulation -Ramped ball bearings offer smooth pad engagement and precise modulation Item Specifications Brake Usage F/R: Front Hub/Brake Compatibility: 6-Bolt Disc Brake Type: Disc Brake Lever Actuation: Short Pull Rotor Size: 160 Caliper Type: 74mm Post Mount

[Jul 13, 2016]
Rick

Strength:

Mechanical so no fluid/bleeding to deal with, able to adjust each side individually, modulation, Customer Service

Not as powerful as hydro brakes but close

Let me start by saying I have the Spyre SLC brakes which have the carbon arm and are a bit lighter (but not much more expensive) than the regular Spyre. After proper bedding of pads/rotors they work great. Yes hydro will be a bit more powerful but I saved a ton by being able to use my existing SRAM Red Levers and no bleeding or air bubbles to ever worry about! Modulation was surprisingly good and they are super easy to set up but I have a recommendation for you...If you are able to run the brake housing the full length, DO IT!!
I ran it to my front brake and it worked great. Initially I didn't do that to my back brake and the feeling on the lever was extremely squishy! I talked to TRP customer support (more on that subject at the end) a few times for troubleshooting and they ended up sending me a new housing and cable for the rear and suggesting to run full housing all the way to the rear caliper. After installing that (I was able to run full length housing because my frame has internal routing) it came out WAY BETTER! Way more solid feel. I also am using the Swiss Stop 15 organic pads for the rear which really help too. Regular TRP pads for the front are plenty powerful enough. Just remember to take the time to bed the brakes properly before you ride.
Now to TRP Customer Service...They are second to none!! I called them a few time about the "squishy" lever problem and always spoke to a real person (Dave) which was nice and he was sincerely concerned with helping me with the problem, which we soon did fix. They were super helpful and took as much time as I needed to get it right. More cycling companies should take note from TRP...Excellent company!

Shimano road hydro brakes

OVERALL
[Dec 08, 2015]
coyotegulch

Strength:

Even pull
Quiet
Easy to adjust
Excellent stopping power
Cost

I imagine hydrolic would be stronger

I mounted these to my gravel bike about six months ago, and I love them. I used BB7s for several years, and these are a significant upgrade in my opinion. Quieter and stay adjusted longer.

I am using them with Campy Chorus 10s brake/shift levers.

Eventually I will go to hydrolic brakes but until then, these are an excellent option.

Avid BB7 Road