Zero Gravity OG-05 Ti Brake Calipers

Zero Gravity OG-05 Ti Brake Calipers

The Zero Gravity Brake is a product of advanced design and careful selection of material Through the use of superior materials, optimized design and a patented cam lever system, this product advances the limits of road brake design. The heart of the brake is the patented cam lever. An engineered solution to power gain and weight loss All parts are made from the best materials available and backed by certifications of chemistry and temper. All parts and hardware are CNC machined and made in the USA. # Features2:1 Mechanical advantage/cam lever design # Absolute top of the line product # Titanium hardware # 98 grams per caliper # Replaceable brake pads # Used by Ivan Basso to a 3rd place in this years Tour de France # Made in USA # Limited Supply

[Sep 02, 2012]
Mark Haigler

Strength:

Light, good stopping power.

Expensive, need pre ride attention each ride.

I replaced Ultegra brakes, they were sloppy. The Zeros work very well. It took several rides to lighten my touch on them. The first ride I almost came off the bike ! I use SRAM Red on a new bike, but miss my Zeros.
I found that with each ride the Zeros needed to be checked for adjustment. I used Swiss stop pads never had fades.
Great brakes am using them on a new build now.

[Nov 19, 2011]
Robert

Strength:

Lightweight

Can't be centered properly
Noisy
Cost
Weak braking power
Pretty ugly to look at

I bought these because of the highly touted weight saving. Compared to my SRAM Reds, these save 65 grams, or about 2.3 ounces. That means I spent ~$100/ounce saved, which is very expensive. I mounted them and found what everybody knows---these are impossible to center. I would get it spot on, ride it, and find it had gotten off center. It got to the point I was riding with a cone wrench to adjust it every few miles. Needless to say, that was a hassle. I ultimately gave up and put the SRAM Reds back on.

Braking power is weak, and I weigh just 147 lbs. On a descent at 30+ mph, I was terrified. They have poor modulation, tend to squeal like nobody’s business, and to get the proper toe-in was an impossibility. Basically, I did not feel safe stopping at high speed, not secure as I do with my SRAM or Dura Ace brakes. There is no comparison between ZG’s and the others in terms of braking power.

The high cost-to-weight savings, poor brake modulation, and difficulty keeping them centered did not justify the cost to save a mere two ounces. Further, since I carry a seat bag with a spare inner tube and some tools, any weight I save on these brakes is more than offset by the spoke wrench and multi-tool I carry for emergencies.

In summary, I cannot for the life of me make a case for spending this much money for a measly two ounces, given all the trouble they cause. Really, eat one less Oreo cookie before your ride and you’ll get the same results, and save $200+.

The only person who needs this is the professional crit rider whose bike is 15 lbs 2 ounces, and he really needs to get to the UCI limit of 15.0 lbs. For everybody else, stick with what you have and use the money for more useful things (like taking your spouse out to dinner, or a lovely B&B weekend). I can’t believe I was suckered into these brakes. I have since sold them on eBay at a loss.

Dura Ace
SRAM Red
Ultegra

[Dec 27, 2008]
depp

Strength:

weight I meen come on they're 100% ti.

Price non the less. These can run from 449.00 to 500.00.

Ok here it is. I replaced my Sram red with these guys. At first this was a mistake. They had lots of odd flex, and minimal breaking power so. I did what a true determined rider would have done, removed the crampy pads, and oh what a difference a set of good old US made koolstops will do. I didtched the Italian junk, and went with pads half the price now these work better than any brake out there.

Sram Red

[Jul 14, 2008]
pmasterandremi

Strength:

light (duh), strong, firm, looks

the washer that grips the cable is very, very finicky. You need to be careful when clamping the cables!!!

If you set them up correctly, they are as good as anything out there. 1st, you need to get the green pads if you are riding aluminum rims! 2nd, you need a light touch on all the bolts. I have never had any issue with them being off center or binding in anyway. They feel as good and firm as Dura Ace or Force brakes. Yes being 200lbs they don't really help me much but they are cool and the black goes with the theme. The only major issue is that they don't open up much when trying to change a wheel.

Dura-Ace, Force, Cane Creek

[Apr 26, 2008]
zachwild

Strength:

Light weight. Good actuation. firm feel. Good looking.

Expensive.

Best brakes I've ever used. Set up with Nokon Cable set, which makes it easy to center brakes. No rub on rims, ever. Better than dura ace or campy record.

Campy record.
Dura Ace.

[Mar 26, 2008]
LouisGiardini

Strength:

Look very sharp and of course the weight.

Hard to center. Extremely expensive.

I bought these because I have turned into a weight weenie. They look fantastic but as other reviews have stated they are very hard to get centered. I had to adjust the brake cable I don't kow how many times just right to get them to stay centered. I have had the rear brake suddenly freeze on me twice. The second time was just yesterday. I have to call Zero Gravity to find out why this is happening. The last time I loosed the screw holding the cable and they seemed to go back to normal. For the price none of this should be an issue. I have all Dura Ace on the rest of my bike and I am thinking of going to Dura Ace for the brakes as well. I hate to lose the money but maybe I can sell on e-bay to get a little money back.

Ultegra brakes on another bike

[Mar 19, 2008]
RodeTheAlpe

Strength:

The biggest strength of the product is the manufacturer. I bought these on ebay and had a problem with the front brake not wanting to recenter no matter how much adjusting I did. I called Ciamillo Components to find out about replacement parts and was told to send it in for an overhaul. 2 weeks later a package arrived with a brand new ('07) brake caliper! No problem with adjusting the new one.

My bike rack requires me to remove the front wheel which is difficult with these brakes (yes I flipped the cam to the "open" position). In order to get the braking tension correct the caliper barely opens wide enough to remove the wheel with a properly inflated tire.

A little nervous after reading some of the reviews here but overall I've been happy with the stopping power of these brakes using Campy pads. Just came off of using Dura Ace 7700 and Ultegra 6600 calipers and after setting up these I haven't noticed a difference. I've put about 600 miles on them since getting the front caliper replaced (see below). Not sure if body weight is an issue so I'll throw in that I'm 150 lbs.

Dura-Ace
Ultegra
Record

[Jan 24, 2008]
hfc

Strength:

Weight of course, looks nice on a naked carbon frame.

Stopping power adequate, but not outstanding. High maintenance compared to higher end Campy and Shimano

These came on a used bike a bought, mine I think are the 06 model. I've found the performance comparable to Campy Chorus brakes, I use the black SwissStop pads. Centering the brakes is done old style, there isn't an adjustment screw. I find I have to re-center the brakes every few hundred miles. I've found the performance of the brakes acceptable, but would probably be disappointed if I'd paid normal price for these. I will probably go with Campy skeleton in the future for better performance and shi-shi looks.

Campy Chorus, Dura Ace (best of these), and Ultegra

[Nov 24, 2007]
branman1986

Strength:

Weight

Hard to install/adjust. Lack of stopping power. Price.

About 1/2 - 2/3 the stopping power of Dura Ace. Not very confidence inspiring for mountain descents. However, for crits or non-mountainous road races, the weight might be worth the lack of stopping power. I'm 50-50 on whether or not I'm going to keep these or put the Dura Ace back on. In order to improve stopping power, I sand the pads and wash the rims from time to time. Have not used them in wet conditions.

Dura Ace, Ultegra, Cervelo stock brakes, Tektro, Cane Creeks

[Nov 23, 2007]
Rocket Richard

Strength:

Craaazzzyyyy Light - but not worth it, because of safety.

Noisy - creaks when squeezed.
Cannot be centered / rather they do not stay centered.
Cable slips, undependable.
Waaaaaayy to friggin expensive!

Taking out of the package, I was all giddy; I couldnt wait to install them. After 2 years of racing these crappy brakes, I finally sold them and got top dollar for them on E-bay. What junk! About half the stopping power of Dura Ace. Every time you use the brake you here this squeaking sound the return spring makes. It is literally impossible to center these brakes. Once you think you got them centered, you hear them rubbing during a race. The cable always slip throught the cable clamp too. Don't waste your money. Shimano is dependable and functional. I got my Dura Ace's back an and couldn't be happier. Whoever post good things about these brakes are just trying to justify their mistake. Swallow your pride and get rid of them.

Shimano Dura Ace