Cane Creek SCR-5C Compact Brake Levers

Cane Creek SCR-5C Compact Brake Levers

A lightweight, reliable lever set for riders that prefer not to switch to STI levers. Great for singlespeeds and fixies. compact lever shape is ideal for small hands Sold as a set...

[Dec 02, 2016]
Robert Hunter

Strength:

Nice solid feel. Very good looking.

A little wide for small hands, especially with their rather squarish shape on top.

These levers are wonderful for the first hour or so on the bike. Beyond this point, however, the width starts to hurt my hands, even though I normally grip my levers very lightly.

[Jun 10, 2014]
Paul W.

Strength:

Looks good, fairly aerodynamic.

Not the buttery-smooth action I was hoping for

The action on these is okay, but fair-to-middling. My old Aero Compe levers have them beat in that category. I'll continue to use them, though, just to make my bike look more modern. They are not bad. I just wish there was more glide and less grind when you squeeze. Maybe they'll break in as I use them. I got the silver/gum rubber version.

Dia Compe Aero Compe

[Jan 02, 2010]
CircaRigel

Strength:

-Great Price
-VERY comfortable
-Comfortable hood riding
-lightweight
-Quick Release

No complaints here. They have a very nice, ergonomic fit for my hand, comfortable hoods, nice look, and they work great with my Mavic SSC Dual-Pivot caliper brakes. The quick release is nice to have, especially with Mavic or Campy brakes, which don't have a QR on the brake itself.

Shimano

[May 06, 2008]
huboon

Strength:

simple design, light, comfortable

I ditched my Shimano STIs for bar-end shifters and SCR-5 brake levers. These levers resemble Campy Ergo right down to the brake release button. They are simple, light, comfortable and cheap. There's really not much that can go wrong.

Shimano STIs

[Dec 12, 2007]
addict42

Strength:

inexpensive, tough, lever quick release.

just a set of tektro levers with different graphics and hood rubber (and a higher price).

I put these on my cross bike for use with bar end shifters. I have found them to be very comfortable (way better than the shimano levers they replaced). The lever quick release makes wheel changes a snap with big cross tires and cantilevers as well.

tektro r200a

[Aug 01, 2007]
danielflood80

Strength:

Very, very cheap (compared to SIS/Ergopower/doubletap). Very, very comfortable. Perfect for tourer with bar end shifters.

No gear changing mechanism, but that costs an extra $400.

The only flaw, is that to tighten the levers to the bars, you have to disconnect the brake cable, which annoying.

I use these in combination with bar end shifters on my trainer/commuter.

These brake levers seem to have exactly the same shape and size as Campy ergo shifters, without the shifter of course. I've found them very comfy, as with Campy shifters they give a flat extension of the bars, unlike Shimano which have a dip.

Like Campy shifters they have a quick release for the brakes built in, so are compatible with Campy brakes. Or, if you use them with brakes that have a quick release, you can get a really big clearance which is handy if you have a spoke snap.

They have quite a strong return spring in them, which can be very strange at first if you're used to Shimano, although now I find myself wishing my Shimano SIS shifters also had a return spring, they reall are a good idea.

Shimano sis shifters

[Jan 18, 2007]
gng207

Strength:

Wicked good at pullin cable, nice ergo shape to lever blade, comfy and grippy hoods with little nubbins, cool quick release lever, light enough

pivot squeaks a tiny, tiny, tiny bit

All design elements well executed

tektro, shimano da, sante, ultegra, old c Record aero

[Oct 23, 2006]
weltyed

Strength:

the lil brake release on the lever that lets you open the brake for wheel changes. i hear this is like on campy blades. when setting up the brakes, i just slid into "wheel change mode" and set the cable. popped the lil button back over to "riding" mode and everything was set!

simple, elegant design.

cant quite get the tilt right. but this is getting extremely nit-picky

this is of the src-5, NOT the compact.

simple setup, excellent feel, sweet look. the lever has great action and the blade has a wonderful contour, like it was cast for my hand position. the platform looks chucky, but my hand rests in there, again, like it was cast for my hand.

shimano levers, shimano brifters