Kool-Stop Dura Type Brake Pads

Dura Type

Ceramic rims are great at dissipating heat but they're murder on brake pads. Under a microscope, the ceramic surface looks like a dried creek bed. It can eat brake pads like they were a snack. The new Z-Chromium Compound puts your ceramic rims on a starvation diet. Not only does it last much longer, it has better stopping power.

dragonrider   Road Racer [Jul 03, 2009]
Strength:

Fantastic attenuation and fantastic stopping power. No rim dust either.

Changed these from standard shimano, very easy to install.

Similar Products Used: Shimano crap
Argentius   Road Racer [Jan 30, 2008]
Strength:

Koolstop pads are quieter and smoother under braking power than other pads, and their "salmon" wet-weather pads are a godsend in the rainy Pacific northwest.

It's too simple of a product to have many -- it just works.

Yeah, so I'm a little surprised how much love I have for a brake pad. I mean, what, it's a little piece of rubber that grabs your rim, right? But, wow, what a differene. I've used the stock pads from all of the others, and Koolstop blows them all away. Feeling safe and secure in my brakes is of prime importance to me, whether in a race or in a twisty mountain descent in the rain.

Similar Products Used: Campagnolo Record, Shimano Dura-Ace, and SRAM Force pads. I would point out I've never tried Swisstop pads, which are also supposed to rock. They are also a lot more expensive...
aml   Recreational Rider [Jul 27, 2007]
Strength:

Stopping power, rim friendly

Used the dual compound Black/Salmon Koolstop Pads and the Salmon pads on my Giant TCR Comp 2 and now installed them on my Serotta Nove from day one. I noticed right away the great stopping power of these pads and there ease to be modulated. The great thing about these pads "They will not eat up your rims". I will never use anything but Koolstop pads. As stated in previous reviews replace your Shimano pads imediately. !!!Make this your first upgrade!!!

Similar Products Used: Ultegra
lebikerboy   Recreational Rider [Jan 26, 2007]
Strength:

Work (stop) better than Shimano, Quieter than Shimano, less expensive than Shimano etc.

What weaknesses?

I used to hold back on long fast descents because my Ultegra 6600 brakes just couldn't bring my 225 lb. frame to a stop in a timely fashion. Not the case with the Kool Stops, I now go as fast as I want knowing I'll be able to stop in time.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Ultegra pads
danielflood80   Recreational Rider [Jan 21, 2007]
Strength:

Steady modulation (compared to stock pads), great stopping power when you need it, fairly steady predictable braking. I've only locked up the wheels once by braking too hard, but this was my fault (panicked and still in the Sora habit of slamming on the brakes), but even this felt fairly steady and was easily recovered.

Not really a weakness, but with the increased stopping power I had to be very careful not to lock up the wheels by braking too hard. Although you'd have to really slam on the brakes to do this.

This review is for the black pads. My OCR3 came with the Sora group, which is generally not very good, although if you are just getting into cycling it's hard to justify pricier groups. I had always considered the brake calipers awful. I live in Canberra where it's very hilly, and would always have to ride down steep descents braking almost the entire way down, as the brakes simply couldn't slow me down fast enough to enter a corner at a safe speed. I had planned to upgrade my calipers, but before I did tried these Kool Stop pads, and they made such a difference, I no longer see the point in upgrading the calipers. I filed these pads down a little to brake them in, and adjusted them carefully, and the results are amazing. I have so much more confidence in the brakes ability to slow down quickly, it's really changed the way I ride. These are so cheap, and so infinitely better than the Shimano products (albeit lower end - maybe Ultegra/DA pads are better?), I don't know why Shimano doesn't just give up making it's own pads and outsource the task to Kool Stop, their groupsets would be much better as a result.

Anyone who feels their calipers aren't adequate and needs to upgrade - try these before you do.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Sora pads - how did they possibly make them so bad?
ExtraSlow   Recreational Rider [Jun 08, 2006]
Strength:

smooth and responsive; inexpensive

Not really a weakness but VERY different than Ultegra feel so I had to concentrate initially not to brake too hard

Simply put...I love these pads. The difference between them and stock Ultegra pads is night and day. A steady pull on the brake levers gives me ever increasing stopping power -- with the Ultegras I had to jam on them hard right away to get any braking action at all

Similar Products Used: Ultegra pads
Damon64   Recreational Rider [Jun 08, 2006]
Strength:

Stopping power
No residue
No metal flakes

None, get these!

I use the black Kool stops and can vouch for what everyone else is saying. Switch out the Shimano pads for these first thing. The Shimano's will eat your rim for lunch. The Kool Stop pads are soooo much better you will definetely feel the difference and even if you install them on cheap Tektro's they'll feel like new brakes!

Similar Products Used: Shimano brand
Roady1   Recreational Rider [Mar 14, 2006]
Strength:

Very positive stopping power; absolutely no damage to wheel surfaces; easy to install in original pad holders.

Original Ultegra pads started to pick up metal filings from rear wheel within first 100 miles. Immediately replaced them with the Kool-Stop Dura-type "Salmon" all weather pads. Not only eliminated the metal filing problem, but resulted in more positive braking control.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra OEM pads: get rid of them quickly; they will destroy your wheel rims!!
asterisk   Road Racer [Nov 08, 2005]
Strength:

Excellent stopping power in both dry and wet conditions. Excellent wear. Doesn't pick up metal bits or street gunk like Shimano.

Spendy but they last. Can be hard to find.

I use the Kool Stop Salmon pads on all my bikes. This is THE pad, you won't need any other. Cross bike, road bike, street fixie, doesn't matter, just use this pad. Stopping power is excellent in both dry and wet and best of all they don't scratch your rim to hell like the Shimano pads.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Ultegras, cheapo Tektros.
roadie rider   Recreational Rider [Oct 29, 2005]
Strength:

Price, rim friendly and quiet.

I am using the salmon Kool Stop pads. I use them on my aluminum rims and they work great. They are quiet, they stop better and they dont take the aluminum off of my rims like the stock Shimano pads did.