Smith Slider Mainline Eyewear

Slider Mainline

Smith Slider Mainline

pwuerslin   Triathlete [Sep 01, 2006]

Price, lens possibilities (just as many choices as Oakley), fit and comfort

Metal hinge

I just lost my second pair of Oakley M-Frames and decided to look for a less expensive alternative with multiple lens options. I need something for cycling, but mainly for running, so function and fit are really important.

The Smith Slider Mainline are a nice looking pair of sport sunglasses. Comes with 3 sets of lenses for Bright (Grey), Medium (Brown), and Dim (Light Orange) conditions, and nicely packaged in the included felt-like soft-case with sections for extra lenses.

Lenses fit nicely in the frame without being too difficult to remove. Nose bridge has two small embedded rubber pads - I don't think that they will work as well or be as comfortable as my Oakley M-Frame nosepiece, but they seem to do the job to prevent slippage. Strip of rubber on the underside of each straight arm over the ears. A vigorous "headbanger" shake and the glasses don't move at all - important when running or mountain biking. Frame wraps arount the head without being too tight. Lightweight poly frame with metal hinges - I'm a little worried about the hinges because my two year old likes to get a hold of my glasses and "stretch" them to put them on his face. The Oakley's plastic hinges just popped out when that happened, and had great durability. Time will tell for these.

As for the overall size, the "footprint" is not quite as big as say, Oakley M-Frame with a Strike lens, but not as small as a Oakley Hybrid-S lens either. Slightly larger face coverage than Oakley Hybrid. Good coverage top to bottom and side to side. No noticable blind spots on the side because of the thinner frames.

The nice thing about these is that they can be used for more casual wear. I wouldn't go so far to say they are stylish, but certainly don't look extremely sport oriented when I look in the mirror. The knock on the Oakley M-Frames is that do not have a good reputation for casual wear.