Bell Volt Helmets

Bell Volt Helmets

Bell strikes with electromotive force this summer debuting the all-new Volt, an amazing combination of massive ventilation, svelte weight, and high-tech comfort. Eleven frontal vents corral massive amounts of air with the help of the Volt?s custom-sculpted Composite Fiber Intakes? (CFI) which direct flow to the helmet?s internal StreamJet Ventilation? channels. Rearward exhaust ports and the moisture-wicking X-Static? padding work in tandem to help keep the rider cool and dry. The Volt is made even more comfortable by Bell?s next-generation Twin Axis Gear? (TAG) fit system that allows riders to both dial in the exact fit, as well as adjust the mechanism?s horizontal position on the back of the head. Designed to be used on- or off-road, the Volt features Bell?s removable Variable Position Visor? (VPV) and will debut simultaneously at the 2008 Tour de France and on the World Cup XC mountain bike circuit.

[Jun 01, 2012]
coop

Strength:

Light, ventilated, fit, color selection

straps, but that's the same with all helmets

Had an older Bell helmet that I loved the fit, but it was black and not very ventilated. It was time to upgrade, so I tried all the usual suspects, Giro - light, but odd fit, Rudy - cool design, but felt heavy, even if it isn't, Bontrager - nice, but still can't get WW out my head, maybe not fair, but it is what it is, LAS - comfortable, but $$. I purposely left the Volt for last since I wanted to make sure I gave all the others a chance. When I tried it on, I knew it was right. I guess when the fit is correct, it makes all the difference. On the road I can immediately feel the difference in the ventilation, which is very important since I sweat a lot! I had read what some said about wind noise, and never paid much attention until I put this on. There is a definite reduction in the noise. Great helmet, and great price when compared to others of this level.

[Jan 15, 2012]
Nick

This helmet saved my life.

And performed beyond comparison while doing it. I was hit from behind at about 40-45mph while riding very slowly (terrible headwind) which threw me helmet-first into the windshield. I didn't lose consciousness even for a second, or feel any pain in my head in the slightest. The helmet also took a second impact, when I rolled off the hood and onto the concrete of the road. CT scan showed not even a slight concussion. The helmet was completely intact, with amazingly symmetrical cracks in strategic places throughout the inside of the helmet. It still feels as sturdy now as many cheaper helmets do when brand new. I am basically just blown-away by how well designed and manufactured this helmet is.

I worked at a Bell dealer bike shop, and for some reason, Bell doesn't seem to publicize that this helmet is designed with a novel "web" structure throughout the foam specifically to keep the helmet intact for multiple impacts, which apparently, works.

It is also super comfortable and wonderfully ventilated, TAG tightening system works flawlessly.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with a Giro Ionos that I won in a contest. As soon as its worn out, I'm getting another Volt.

Buy it. It will probably save your life.

Giro Ionos

[Jun 24, 2011]
losangeles4

Strength:

looks good, comfortable enough to make you not mind wearing it, light, stayed on my head when needed and it works.

costly, had some difficulty adjusting the straps

Have tried a few helmets, and find that Bell helmets suits me better than most. I chose the Volt just because it looks good and the marketing hype. I would say it is expensive but as their ad back then said, "If you got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet". Really, if you're going to choose a helmet, choose a comfortable one that would make you wear it always. I happen to test mine recently and it did it's job well. The Volt is history but I would buy it again just because it worked and looks good.

bell lumen, phi pro, giro havoc

[Apr 06, 2011]
garellano

Strength:

All of the above.

Overall a great helmet. It's all there. COMFORT, QUIETNESS, WELL VENTILATED, LOOKS, WEIGHT AND ADJUSTMENT.

LAS Victory, Lazer Genesis, Bell Sweep, Giro Pneumo, Louis Garneau Diamond.

[Jan 31, 2011]
charlox5

Strength:

Protection
Fit
Style

Straps are a little awkward
costly

I got the Volt on sale at Jenson a while back, it was my first roadbike helmet. After about a year of use (weekend rides/commuting) I had the unfortunate opportunity to crash test the helmet this past weekend at 20 mph on a wet downhill section of road. The helmet did its job and did it well. It's the day after and aside from the rash, there's no lasting damage from what was a fairly violent headfirst crash.

I'm not sure if i can stomach paying full price for another Volt, but I'm grateful that this helmet worked, and it was always a well fitting helmet and comfortable on my head. the straps were always a little awkward, but they all are, right?

[Aug 30, 2010]
oily666

Strength:

Great ventilation, good looks, quiet, comfy. TAG fit system is the best.

Minor QC glitch with the strap. No biggie.

I really like the Volt. I like it better since I corrected the routing of the strap. Lucky for me there were plenty of photos on the web. Now that it's corrected, the Volt is comfortable and quiet. I've heard that it's design is supposed to reduce wind turbulence around your ears and when looking forward and this helmet is five times quieter than when you look down a your computer. This may have something to do with the flow thu venting. With the straps not twisted, there's even less noise. Pretty cool. I'm still going to give it high marks for design, quality, and fit and the TAG fit adjustment can still be done with one hand (thumb). If you have an oval head like me, you'll be happier with a Volt or Sweep than the more round-fitting Giros.

2005 Bell Sweep, Bell Phi Pro and Rubicon

[Sep 03, 2009]
notryt

Strength:

looks good and protects the melon... the volt doesnt have the carbon accents that the giro has. but bell helmets never did.

none. well the straps.. but thats all helmets
(I always rate the value a 3 on good helmets, they are all overpriced for what your getting.) wanted to get a catlike whisper..$230.00 (ouch) bought the ionos and volt combined for under that.

Well reading the others comments I can add only that the bell sweep-r and the volt fit about the same. I use a m with the sweep and a L with the volt. (at 59cm) so if there is a difference moving up a size would do the trick. I also own a ionos and I have to use a large with that a medium with the giro pinches at the temples. I own both cuz one is black, the other is white. sold off my other 3

giro atmos, ionos, bell sweep-r, catlike kompact, specialized R

[Jun 21, 2009]
Doug Z

Strength:

Fit

More contact patch on forehead

excellent fit, soft straps.

Giro Pneumo,
older Bell helmets

[May 05, 2009]
Jerry Duarte

Strength:

Volt is solid feeling, very adjustable.

Pressure points in my head with no apparent solution. Maybe you would have better luck? Costs much more and not noticeable in terms of better air flow.

This is my seventh Bell Road Helmet among various models and was a satisfied customer until buying this one. By far the most costly but what's the price of saving yourself? Always tried fits of different models, GIRO, Specialized, Etc. in the shops. Most have various pressure points on my head. Bell never has pressure points in the last 15 years or so of buying their helmets. This has changed with the Volt model. For some reason the inside molded shape is now different. I did not know since it was bought online. After getting some headaches from long distance rides I bought the older version of Bell Sweep R. Much better fit and seems lighter. Should have continued with this model in the first place but now I own both models. Recommend saving your $ and going with the less expensive and more comfortable SweepR. It did save my head during a recent encounter with the asphalt.

Bell off road helmets, Giro

[Mar 15, 2009]
Jbartmc

Comfortable fit, good ventilation, easily adjusted. For me, it is more comfortable than the Giro models (I know this is personal preference here).