Giro Atmos Helmets

Giro Atmos Helmets

Giro Atmos Road Bicycling Helmet has long been known as the gold standard for both elite and amateur cyclists alike. Using unique carbon fiber reinfocement and the Roc Loc 5 fit system, the Atmos remains one of the nicest helmets you can wear.

[Nov 05, 2013]
Andy

Strength:

Very light helmet, with fantastic ventilation. Also the most comfortable helmet I have ever tried on. The best thing about this helmet is that it looks great. Most helmets look like mushrooms and look all bulgy and ungainly. This helmet is very sleek and contours my head quite well without weird and unnecessary bulging. The helmet is also very adjustable.

The biggest weakness is the price. I was able to get it on sale, but the usual price of ~180 is way too much for any helmet. Another small weakness is the sizing. The medium is quite large and the large is huge. Luckily I had the ability to try them on before buying, because I was planning on buying the large which would have been too big. The medium fit amazingly though.

This is a great helmet that I highly recommend to anybody looking for a nice high end helmet. My recommendation would be to look for these on sale from places like REI or even Amazon. They come in a huge variety of colors, and with the 3 sizes, they should fit pretty much anybody, though I recommend that you physically try one on before buying, as the sizes are not exactly as expected. But as there are 3 sizes to choose from, unlike 2 for most other helmet makers, one should have no problem finding one that fits perfectly.

[Jul 31, 2013]
Mike G

Strength:

Great Ventilation; Price compared to Aeon; Strength; Looks

Still pricey, but worth the protection

Been wearing this helmet style for several year. Two keys points for me: (1) I am a sweat hog and this helmet was as good as I feel is out there for ventilation (actually too much in the winter), (2) I had a bad crash three years ago. Got t-boned by another cyclist, went head over on my noggin. Cracked the helmet in two pieces and I walked away with only a headache (and a lot of road rash). Went out next day and ordered two more. Worth every penny for safety!

[Jun 04, 2013]
mgappa

Strength:

Lot of ventilation; easy to adjust; strong even with a lot of ventiation tunnels

Saved my life in a crash. Hit so hard, cracked the helmet in two pieces and lived to tell about it. Went out and bought two more.

[Feb 19, 2013]
eddie

Strength:

well made

IT SAVED MY LIFE. I was in a bad crash over the weekend. Drafting close to 30 mph, the guy 2 riders ahead lost control and slid on the pavement. The guy behind him was able to avoid him but it was too late when i saw him. I hit his bike, went airborne, and landed on my left side. I remember my head hitting the pavement but didn't realize the impact until my wife showed me the helmet hours later. The left side was completely cracked, with just the outer tape/decals holding it together... The left side of my body is black and blue but that's it. BUY THIS HELMET. I will be getting another one as soon as possible.

[Dec 16, 2012]
CHARLITIN

Strength:

light compact sturdy helmet. the adjustment tool in the back rocks. it is the best and it does adjusts it to whatever you feel it is your setting. micro adjustments

straps are low quality. this is because they are made light and thin and after long time use they slide at the base. you have to adjust them every now and then.

this is a very good helmet. although pricey i would have to say the over all quality and fit of the helmet is top notch. i would not have expect less from a 180 dollars helmet. if you have the cash and want a really good helmet get this, you wont be dissapointed

[May 18, 2012]
Belinda Williams

Strength:

PROTECTION,
lightweight,
excellent fit,
aesthetics,
ventilation,
ease of adjustment,

Noisy
not good for cold weather riding

I should be dead, and not from your standard hit your head accident...

I won't go into comfort- it's as comfortable as any helmet I had before. I won't go into aesthetics... those are self evident. Those aren't the purpose of a helmet anyway. A helmet's purpose is to protect, and the Atmos protected me in the worst case scenario of an accident. On September 18, 2011, I fell off a mountain, landing head first on granite boulders 30 feet below.

I was riding my bicycle on Mount Evans, the highest paved road in North America. During my descent, the winds became unusual (and I'd ridden this mountain MANY times). Perhaps a thermal eddy, maybe something else. All I know is on a straight section I was fighting a headwind, and then I wasn't, with a curve coming up fast. the winds had reversed direction, causing my speed to go from 30 MPH to 50 MPH in seconds. I tried to slow, but began to skid, so reduced pressure to my brakes to maintain proper control. I couldn't slow enough. I left the road... and fell off the mountain, landing on granite boulders 30 feet below.

Ultimately, I sustained 9 spinal fractures, 3 in my neck and 6 in my upper back. My rib cage and right scapula were shattered. Both lungs were punctured and I came as close to losing my left kidney and my spleen as anyone can come w/o losing them. My head... even though I landed on my head & upper back... escaped with a concussion. My helmet was completely destroyed. My Atmos saved my life in an accident that by all reckoning ought to have killed me... it very nearly did, even without head injury. I still live with severe pain from the spinal fractures, bit beyond all odds I'm walking, and even starting to get back on my repaired bicycle!

[Sep 15, 2011]
jason

This helmet saved my life, no question I would be dead. This is direct impact with the road at 52 mph, coming down the fastest section of Independence Pass in Aspen (no joke; witnesses saw me hit directly on my right-side forehead in the first bounce). Comparing the damaged side with the other clean side, the foam compressed about 60-70% before the entire shell failed. I've been wearing Giro helmets for at least 15 years and am now shopping for a new one. My take on the 3 Giro's: it's worth mentioning that the Aeon is substantially thicker at the front and a bit thicker at the forehead sides, so I assume it would take even MORE compression before it would collapse. Looks larger and a little more mushroom head effect because of the added material - but its also a bit lighter. The Prolight is sized very differently; a medium Prolight fits tighter than a SMALL in any of their other models. All of them are great, but for me I'm getting another Atmos because it has much better venting than a Prolight and is noticeably smaller, more compact profile than the new Aeon.

[Apr 28, 2009]
Sadlebred

Strength:

light, great ventilation, comes with a cool carrying case

Light colors get dirty quickly

I have been using my Giro Atmos for 2 years. It is the lightest, best fitting helmet I have ever used. I have no complaints.

LAS helmets, Lazer helmets.

[Jul 30, 2008]
jovecana

Strength:

Very breezy and light. If it wasn't for the safety endorsements, I'd have to wonder if it's actually effective as a helmet, but of course it is! Also, it looks pretty trick.

I find the locking mechanism a little chintzy for the price. I ended up buying a Bell Ghisallo, which matches the Atmos on everything, and still has a better locking mechanism. It's more durable, and has a more positive actuation compared to the Atmos. Also, the Bell came with two sets of replacement pads, and they're washable.

Overall very good in almost all the areas that matter to me (ventilation, weight, looks). Could do better on the fit, but I suppose that's a personal choice.

Given to my wife after settling on a Bell Ghisallo.

Bell Ghisallo, Bell Sweep. Specialized Decibel.

[Jun 24, 2008]
leonrice

Strength:

Great ventilation
Great fit
Light

Just purchased this helmet last weekend. Wore this helmet 3 times, one ride being a century on Sunday. Awesome ventilation compared to my Bell. The fit is perfect. The helmet is also very light and very cool looking.

Bell Sweep R