Giro Monza Helmets

Giro Monza Helmets

The Monza is where inspired design meets the romance of the road for club riders and racers who crave the svelte style and the top-level performace that elite pros enjoy. Featuring a minimalist in-molded shape powered by 24 race worthy vents and cover in rich, head-turning colors. Equipped with the familiar fit and feel of a smooth Roc Loc 3, too.

[Jul 25, 2012]
Michael Peterson

Strength:

Excellent padding system - vertical pad at the forehead rather than horizintal.
With other inferior helmets at the same price point I was getting heat rash on my forehead on long rides. Not with the Monza.
Reasonable weight & plenty of ventilation.

Adjusting the fit system takes a lot of patience.
Fragile - I cracked the front rendering it unservicable by dropping it from handlebar height.

Despite it's weaknesses I'm on my second Monza.
Will be more carefull with this one.

[Apr 10, 2010]
hammerhead

Strength:

The Styrofoam is thick and sturdy
The Monza is very light
It looks great and the colors are vivid

I really like the look of the Giro Monza Helmet. My Helmet is red and white and it matches my Bike perfectly. The adjustment system on the Monza helmet is superb and very easy to use. Its really light and the Vents are really wide. Plenty of room for air to flow through. The styrofoam is exceptionally thick so this would be a great helmet to have if you were in a serious crash. I would recommend this helmet to a friend. This helmet was a lot cheaper than the Ionis so I couldn't pass it up.

Bell Helmet

[Jan 01, 2010]
Jat

Strength:

Lightweight, good visibility, mostly light grey for being seen by motorists, not flashy.

One of the plastic things wasn't anchored to the inside of the first helmet I bought. Either REI or Giro replaced the helmet with no problems.

Great helmet and for the price.

None. I'm from Laguna Beach CA and never even considered wearing a helmet and never felt I needed one. Now I'm stuck in Podunk Eastern NC (po 1300) where cycling is a novelty -- there are no bike lanes and no sidewalks, the rednecks hassle the very few cyclist and motorists don't look out for cyclists. It scares me here (in many ways) and I had to buy a helmet.

[Sep 03, 2009]
rocker9455

Strength:

looks ok

fitting system takes AGESSS to adjust

Just got this lid through the post today - not to happy with it, first it took about an hour to get the straps so they werent totally scratching my ears/chin etc cant say what its like on a bike yet but its not exactly the comfy-iest helmet i have had - time will tell whether its any good. . .

Cheapo met helmet

[Aug 20, 2009]
jon lon

Strength:

I like the way the RocLoc keeps the helmet from twisting. It feels secure without squeezing. The straps are adjustable and I can figure it out. I won't say it is easy but ... it is better than helmets of the past: god forbid you need to adjust them on the trail, be dark before you figured it out.

No visor. I know it's a 'road' helmet and somehow roadies are too cool for visors yet somehow it is cool for the dirt crowd. I went to a shop and they had a Giro visor in the back and just gave it to me. I punched some holes and installed the visor and it looks like it came with one now. I like a visor, road or dirt. Especially in New Mexico where I am now.

Helmets are funny, kind of like the heads they go on: they are not all the same size and shape and what fits you may not fit me. Individuality is a sought after trait in this culture but it makes for a problem for helmet manufacturers. At this point in the game 'they' have established different categories of head shapes and corresponding sizes. I bought this helmet because it fit my head. In fact it was the only helmet in the store that did. There were others that I liked better and would have purchased but they didn't fit and when it comes to gear: function always leads the way.

I have used many helmets over the years and I like Giro products. I have also used Specialized helmets. I had a Sub 6 back in the day and I loved that helmet too. This is is better but the Sub 6 is an old helmet now.

[Nov 10, 2008]
JurgenMaas

Strength:

I LOVE the Monza's fit system. It's far and away the most comfortable helmet I've ever tried.

Way sleeker than the old picnic cooler I was wearing on my head.

Not cheap.

I have a large noggin, so finding a comfortable helmet is a bit of a challenge. I read a review of the Monza in Bicycling, and seemed a good bet.

Bell Triton (universal large)

[Jul 01, 2008]
synthetik

Strength:

comfort.

none.

monza is a really nice looking, nice feeling helmet. so comfortable, i usually forget its there. Giro customer service is excellent. i have called them twice for replacement liners (the velcro padded thing inside) and they send it totally for free. a helmet is just a piece of styrofoam, but a company like Giro is much more. when mine wears out i will not hesitate to buy it again. thanks.

[Jun 17, 2008]
VeloHalloran

Strength:

Good crash protection, good looking helmet.

This helmet perfomed its job perfectly well last weekend. While riding in a race, I was involved in a crash at 30 mph and my head was what hit the pavement first. The helmet cracked but my head didn't :) Save for a minot concussion and road rash I came out great. This helmet is what saved me.

[Oct 09, 2007]
SG

Strength:

Price
Style
Crash Impact

No bug net

Great Helmet
I crashed my current one,
It did such a great job in the crash that I am going to replace the helmet with another Giro Monza

Bell

[Nov 01, 2006]
Brett

Strength:

Fit
Looks

Orientation of the pads deliver sweat into the eyes.
Hotter than a Limar.

This is a good helmet for the money. It fits my head like a glove (well, like a hat, really). I found it helpful to know that Giro helmets generally fit people with a more round head around the hat band, whereas Bell helmets are better for folks with a more oval shaped head.

One issue that will keep me from buying another one is the pads. They are oriented longitudinally so that sweat runs down from the top of the head and is channeled to drip right into my eyes. The Limar helmet I had before this one avoided this by putting a front pad across the forehead laterally with its low points depositing the sweat outside of the eye area.

Limar , Specialized, Bell